Tallest pole

danderson101

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 29, 2003
What's the tallest pole anyone has used?
If over 15', what was the aprox. diameter of the pole?
Was it considered a standard installation- i.e. no additional charge?

I wouldn't think that a Dish could be installed on a pole that tall as it would move a great deal in the wind. Why are you trying to do this? There has to be a better way.

1) You're gonna need some guy wires & a really good installer - yourself is the best bet - gonna be tuff to get & keep it plumb.
2) Certainly not considered part of a standard install....

Last edited:
On M60 in michigan about 3 miles outside of town going west on the north side of the road there is a stupid dish mounted to the top of an 8"x8"x20' and no visible guy wires.

Van said:
On M60 in michigan about 3 miles outside of town going west on the north side of the road there is a stupid dish mounted to the top of an 8"x8"x20' and no visible guy wires.

Now that would make sense. You could get the 8x8 approx. plumb & then attach a small pole & get that exactly plumb - ready to go! Of course, the hard part would be getting to the top of a 20 ft. 8x8 to do the work :D

Here is a Dish on a 25 foot pole that I did with no Guy wires...

Attachments

• MVC-759F.JPG
    MVC-759F.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 244
I was driving through south-central Louisiana back in March and noticed a few people had dishes mounted on the poles that were used to support electrical wires from the pole on the street to the house, and in some cases, the pole next to a trailer.

If the roof is not an option, and you can not get a solid mounting on the facia, and if there is no basketball goal to mount to, then I could see using a pole securely fastened to the earth as well as secured to the facia/rafters/joist so that it does not sway; and then mount the dish to the pole either above or right below the facia bracket. But only if you needed height for limited available locations.

danderson101 said:
What's the tallest pole anyone has used?
If over 15', what was the aprox. diameter of the pole?
Was it considered a standard installation- i.e. no additional charge?

I've got a BUD on a 15' pole Down the street is a 25 pole with a BUD
NOT a standard install
A 55 gal drum buried filled with cement a 6" pole with a smaller pole welded to the top Think I'll mount a basketball goal

25 feet

We got a customer from our website at http://www.direcrdishdeals.com and it was a big concern for us. One of my installers set a guy up on a 25 foot pole. The guy had a tonne of tress and it was the only way. The pole was set up by the customer and somewhat resembled a telephone pole but less stable. He couldn't even lean his ladder against it. I thought for sure we would get a call back to adjust the dish but we haven't heard anything and that was a few months ago and we get a lot of high winds.

Old/abandoned utility poles are kosher. Electric and phone companies can and will yank down any dish that is on THEIR pole. Cable companies can "get away" with using electric poles due to whatever lease agreement they may have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts