Tan TV to Direct TV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

springs80923

Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
colorado springs, colorado
We were informed by Tan TV that we would have to switch to Direct TV to continue receiving the Korean channels (MBC, SBS, etc). I still have the old Tan TV dish and 2 receivers, one is a HUMAX. I didn't want to switch to Direct TV because I already have DISH Network and Direct TV has you buy a basic package in order to get the Korean programming.
Anyone know of a way to keep the Korean programming without having to switch to Direct TV? I'm still able to receive a few of the channels with my Tan TV dish and receivers. I get the Korean religious channels and Korean TV guide. I'd just like to receive the Korean programming...and will purchase the necessary euipment if mine is not useable.

jd
the issue is TAN TV right now is a subscription channel on KU Band (or in lehmens terms...a FTA channel that has to be subbed to)....they are leaving KU Band and going to D* so the only way to get TAN TV will be with D*

If you do not want Direct TV and still want MBC and SBS programming, your best choice the video rental store. Each DVD cost $1.25 to rent (new release, drama series, shows).

Depending on how popular is the series or which famous actors is in it, each DVD has one episode with a show. For non-popular series, you will get 2 episodes per DVD.

For example, MBC Dong Yi. My friend cancel Direct TV but still want to watch Dong Yi and each DVD has one episode with a show

Most stores allow the customers 2 weeks to return all DVD if you rent up to 10.

jd
the issue is TAN TV right now is a subscription channel on KU Band (or in lehmens terms...a FTA channel that has to be subbed to)....they are leaving KU Band and going to D* so the only way to get TAN TV will be with D*
Thanks.
If those details had been in the OP, I wouldn't have answered the way I did, if at all. I know this will never happen, but wouldn't it be nice if original threads had additional information?

TAN will not refund remainder of subscription unless...

Wife f i n a l l y got through on the phone with TAN TV and asked about the remainder of our 1 year prepaid subscription which expires in January. She was told that if you don't transition to DirecTV using the TAN TV form, YOU WILL NOT GET ANY REFUND on the remaining paid subscription!! Their DirecTV deal is getting the basic package (PI, Shopping and other free to DirecTV channels) free with rebates for one year. There are better deals available.

A friend of her's is paid through April and is really PO'd because they are still in a long term contract with Dish Network (who's Korean programming sucks) and they do not want to incur another 24 month contractual obligation with DirecTV plus get to pay for duplicate channels. I bet there are many that do not want that contractual obligation.

TAN TV is suppose to start turning off channels this month.

I'm trying to figure out who to write to about this.

jd

Ice, That's not exactly correct. DirecTV has had some of the same Korean programming as TAN TV for years. It remains to be seen if EBS and KBS will be added to the Korean DirecTV lineup like the TAN TV web site claims (I doubt it). TAN TV wants customers to transition to DirecTV because they will get a kickback on each customer mailing the TAN TV subscription form to DirecTV. Ultimately the subscription is between the customer and DirecTV with the usual mandatory additional subscription to at least the basic pkg and the 24 month lock-in with ETFs. The actual programming comes from Korea and TAN was merely providing subscription DTH service via SES-1 FSS Ku-band.

We were informed by Tan TV that we would have to switch to Direct TV to continue receiving the Korean channels (MBC, SBS, etc). I still have the old Tan TV dish and 2 receivers, one is a HUMAX. I didn't want to switch to Direct TV because I already have DISH Network and Direct TV has you buy a basic package in order to get the Korean programming.
Anyone know of a way to keep the Korean programming without having to switch to Direct TV? I'm still able to receive a few of the channels with my Tan TV dish and receivers. I get the Korean religious channels and Korean TV guide. I'd just like to receive the Korean programming...and will purchase the necessary euipment if mine is not useable.

To get SBS, YTN and MBC (all popular channels), you will have to subscribe to DirecTV (DTV). It sounds like you did not subscribe to TAN TV because the 3 channels you mention are free and not scrambled. If you had subscribed to TAN TV you would have needed a receiver that could handle a VIACCESS SIM card as the other Korean channels on SES-1 are scrambled. It's moot anyway since TAN TV is soon to stop it's DTH service. As you are probably aware, the Korean stations on DISH Network (DN) are crummy except for KBS. If you are not locked into a contract with DN, you can switch to DTV to get similar programming and also subscribe to the Korean pkg. PM Iceberg for the best deal. I am going to switch to DTV soon but need a tree removed right now.

Wife f i n a l l y got through on the phone with TAN TV and asked about the remainder of our 1 year prepaid subscription which expires in January. She was told that if you don't transition to DirecTV using the TAN TV form, YOU WILL NOT GET ANY REFUND on the remaining paid subscription!! Their DirecTV deal is getting the basic package (PI, Shopping and other free to DirecTV channels) free with rebates for one year. There are better deals available.

A friend of her's is paid through April and is really PO'd because they are still in a long term contract with Dish Network (who's Korean programming sucks) and they do not want to incur another 24 month contractual obligation with DirecTV plus get to pay for duplicate channels. I bet there are many that do not want that contractual obligation.

TAN TV is suppose to start turning off channels this month.

I'm trying to figure out who to write to about this.

Not exactly sucks!! Some people want both korean, locals and american stations (ESPN, CNN....). With Direct TV, you will get the best Korean programming for $30 (Korean Package) plus $50 (Top ___ package). Close to $100.

With Dish Network, KBS World is included on all packages. And, you can still get the locals and american stations for $40.

One thing about these independent TV providers (Tan TV) is they either close down one day or transfer all account to a more expensive provider. Direct TV or Dish Network.

For Dish, the Chinese package use to have 3 separate providers for ETTV, IAVC and another provider. Then, one day, they closed down and transfer all accounts to Dish Network forcing their customers to pay way way more. With the independent providers, it cost less, way less or more station at a lower price.

Not exactly sucks!! Some people want both korean, locals and american stations (ESPN, CNN....). With Direct TV, you will get the best Korean programming for $30 (Korean Package) plus $50 (Top ___ package). Close to $100.

With Dish Network, KBS World is included on all packages. And, you can still get the locals and american stations for $40.

Well it does suck! TAN TV was charging a year in advance that came to about $27 per month. A party we know is paid through April. When TAN TV stops sending programming in Sep 10, that person will be cheated out of about $190. TAN TV is breaking the contract; not the customers. Many customers are locked into existing contracts with Dish, U-Verse, cable, etc. and cannot merely drop their American programming and go to DTV without incurring ETF's. What if they do not have visibility of all the DTV satellites? What if they do not want the 24 month contract with DTV which incurs ETFs? Reimbursing customers for unprovided months in a contract only if they transition to DTV using the TAN TV form (which is not a particularly good deal for new DTV customers), is illegal and outright theft. Everyone should be compensated for months paid without service. We are paid through part of January and will lose close to $100 depending on when the TAN TV channels go dark. Your comment does not pass the common sense test IMO.

We still have Dish Net. and the KBS America does not have all the same programming as KBS targetting Korean audiences on TAN TV. That is why almost everything has subtitles when not in English. FWIW, the Koreans we know do not care for the Korean game, business, real estate, or Budist channels in the DN pkg. The only decent channel for most is KBS and as you said, it's available with all the usual American packages. The favorite channes are SBS, MBC, YTN and Korean audience KBS. Most of the soap opera rental DVDs are copied from SBS and MBC.

One thing about these independent TV providers (Tan TV) is they either close down one day or transfer all account to a more expensive provider. Direct TV or Dish Network.

For Dish, the Chinese package use to have 3 separate providers for ETTV, IAVC and another provider. Then, one day, they closed down and transfer all accounts to Dish Network forcing their customers to pay way way more. With the independent providers, it cost less, way less or more station at a lower price.

Well it does suck! TAN TV was charging a year in advance that came to about $27 per month. A party we know is paid through April. When TAN TV stops sending programming in Sep 10, that person will be cheated out of about $190. TAN TV is breaking the contract; not the customers. Many customers are locked into existing contracts with Dish, U-Verse, cable, etc. and cannot merely drop their American programming and go to DTV without incurring ETF's. What if they do not have visibility of all the DTV satellites? What if they do not want the 24 month contract with DTV which incurs ETFs? Reimbursing customers for unprovided months in a contract only if they transition to DTV using the TAN TV form (which is not a particularly good deal for new DTV customers), is illegal and outright theft. Everyone should be compensated for months paid without service. We are paid through part of January and will lose close to $100 depending on when the TAN TV channels go dark. Your comment does not pass the common sense test IMO.

We still have Dish Net. and the KBS America does not have all the same programming as KBS targetting Korean audiences on TAN TV. That is why almost everything has subtitles when not in English. FWIW, the Koreans we know do not care for the Korean game, business, real estate, or Budist channels in the DN pkg. The only decent channel for most is KBS and as you said, it's available with all the usual American packages. The favorite channes are SBS, MBC, YTN and Korean audience KBS. Most of the soap opera rental DVDs are copied from SBS and MBC.

It is safer to pay more with Direct and Dish who will never run away with customers money. For outsider providers like Tan TV, they just shut down with a short notice.

Thank goodness with DVD. The picture looks sharp and clear than the rental tapes jumping and moving when stores re-use over and over again.

Overall, it is the evil business people ripping us all off. This is a good lesson we should all learn and cheap prices = big losses.

More on Tan TV

Hi, I just subscribed here to get more info on this and to see if anyone was able to get a refund from Tan. We still had left about $150 worth of service on the table there but can't switch to DTV since we're all Dishnetted up here.
So I call & speak to the lady a few minutes ago and she said that in a few months they would give a refund for unused service. After that it got harder to understand what she was saying. One thing I did hear was that to get the refund I had to return the two boxes & cards we had.
Having been to more than one rodeo I'm not sure I want to be the first to shell out for shipping charges on the boxes on the promise of a refund. And at the same time I wonder if there's any value in the boxes if I was to sell them? Legal opinion there? Not trying to do anything but get what I paid for.
Thanks,
stick

TAN TV called my wife about 3 weeks ago and wanted to know if with subbed to DirecTV using the TAN TV subcription to DTV form that was sent. My wife told the gal that we had already subbed to DTV a long time ago (we had Dish Network but she did not know the difference). TAN said they would refund the outstanding balance which is about $100 for us. Did not mention returning the VIACCESS card though. Originally when my wife called TAN TV they advised that unless we subbed to DTV using the TAN TV form they sent us (no doubt they get a kick back for a customer referral), that they would not refund anything! I guess the Calif AG office told them that was illegal.

Regarding the return of the receivers, I own mine so I cannot help you on that. But I do remember that we paid $20 - $25 for each VIACCES card. If they want them back, demand that amount be refunded too.

Thanks for the reply Red Hazard. My wife called Tan just while ago and I guess we're going to return the cards & receivers then hope for a refund. Makes not a lot of difference to me since I'd about written the whole deal off already. I'll post back here if we win the lottery. ; )

It only cost $26.99 for the new channels added from Tan TV. 8 channels for $26.99.

What is the Tan TV channel? Does it show KBS programming?????

Tan TV shut off service in Aug. If you want the Korean package they offered you have to subscribe to at a minimum of the basic DirectTV package and buy the Korean package both. We're on Dishnet and get KBS so that will have to do. I sent back my Tan TV equipment this morning.

There is a station listed as TAN TV on Direct TV right now after Tan TV provider shut down its service? Any info on what programming is on that station.

Like most people, I am getting KBS on Dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts