OTHER TBS 5925 Sensitivity

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DRCars

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 16, 2010
Southern USA
I have a 7.5' aluminum mesh C/Ku dish and find that I am right on the edge of receiving/not receiving many backhauls that I try to lock. I know a bigger dish would do better but don't see one being put up in the near future.

I have the following receivers:

DVBWorld 2104C (NOT D) USB 2.0 ... most sensitive that I have
X2 Premium II HD STB ... next most sensitive but only by a small margin
GeosatPro Micro HD STB ... least sensitive but still fairly decent.

With that in mind, how does the TBS 5925 or TBS 6925 sensitivity compare to any one of these receivers?

I would just buy a TBS 5925 and try it but really don't want to spend $250 to find out that it is not sensitive enough for my needs.

Any comparisons of the TBS 5925 to one of these receivers would be appreciated.

I would like to replace the DVBWorld 2104C with the TBS 5925 for blind scan purposes.

Also, does anyone know what tuner chips the above receivers use (e.g. stv090x etc)?

DRCars

As i can understand you; you have these "things"; i need to know exactly what "things" you have and everything you have hooked up before the question can be addressed.

You mentioned your 7.5 dish; -> lets start there; i just fixed up an old channel master 10 foot that was so warped ; missin' a panel; but with the new receivers today (HDVR1200/3500 it locks and shows all lyngsat has; or even bob rankin's list; or skyvisions list is probably the best quote.

tuners for a satellite receiver - today it is mini; small; or dual purpose - the network ID + satellite tuner handler is the cause; or ability to put the picture; or selection of sourced video/audio as TX upload; very powerful in today's world comm. circuit in training is very small footprint to the board etc. rATED us

tuners are main lines, large Company names -> like Uniden, Sharp, RCA, and now China and Korea

and you have the small ones ... too and mini is microHD -> has mpeg-iv or h.264 upgrade? In the game i have the big ones?

the tbs is then exactly the ability for the satellite tuner to be the broadcast or upload; on a network wire; where they combined a couple of chips. It uploads the picture raw; both audio and video @ satellite rate and the encoding is basically an A/D and a D/A; but really they are a new id for an old one; first it had the aired number (network id-dvb-s2) then a new network id on a network; your name is basically stamped into your network; with raw data the nework knows as "h.265"; 50 Mb - 100 Mb and h.264 or just 720p as part of the encoding is the same as a HDTV uses in its se;lection of the qualities. But the link can then be broadcast IN FULL AT THOSE HIGHER NETWORK SPEEDS; And a linux machine can handle it easily; in its network handler "serving" TV @ other rates (like 700k)

!) The items i have are these- 8 foot dish; c band lnbf single; vbox7; 18" actuator; GEOSATpro hdvr1200 DVB-S2 receiver;. for SATELLITE TV; hdmi to hdtv and I have these channels as listed: here is the problem; if i told you what channels i get from my c band setup; and what channels i do not get; then we both get banned; if you tell me what channels are missing you want that you cannot get; then a solution can be legal here. These channels you try to lock/ what are they and what satellite/etc. on lyngsat
i cannot watch 3D or the new UHD but they lock and scan...also my setup; or receiver has the dualpurpose tuner of satellite DVB-S2 and h.264 (new is h.265)

I have a 7.5' aluminum mesh C/Ku dish and find that I am right on the edge of receiving/not receiving many backhauls that I try to lock. I know a bigger dish would do better but don't see one being put up in the near future.

I have the following receivers:

DVBWorld 2104C (NOT D) USB 2.0 ... most sensitive that I have
X2 Premium II HD STB ... next most sensitive but only by a small margin
GeosatPro Micro HD STB ... least sensitive but still fairly decent.

With that in mind, how does the TBS 5925 or TBS 6925 sensitivity compare to any one of these receivers?

I would just buy a TBS 5925 and try it but really don't want to spend $250 to find out that it is not sensitive enough for my needs.

Any comparisons of the TBS 5925 to one of these receivers would be appreciated.

I would like to replace the DVBWorld 2104C with the TBS 5925 for blind scan purposes.

Also, does anyone know what tuner chips the above receivers use (e.g. stv090x etc)?

DRCars

Last edited:
Just interested in how well the TBS 5925 will lock weak signals compared to the other receivers that I have. I don't believe I mentioned other "things." I don't really think other "things" matter with respect to the question. I am interested in what other people's experiences have been with the TBS 5925 especially compared to those receivers that I have.

DRCars

Reactions: KE4EST and Titanium
Tanks Ti. I have a post at Rick's also. If you don't mind can you compare the 5922 and/or 6983? I have a hunch they are similar to the 5925 from other things I have read. I also would consider getting a 6983. My Multimedia computer has a rather weak power supply (250W) so I don't know.

DRCars

Now, I would recommend Commercial typed equipment; Broadcaster's use; to know why it is built better; but today why it works better (they have had the 50-100 for quite a while) let alone 1 gig. Manufacturing quality is what I noticed the most; not that the Consumer products do not have any problems; but they will have "quality control" problems a larger rate of the miniturized kind break much easier; have less lasting "powers"; this is the rate I look for if I recommend the lower cost stuff. Today again every few years I got a new one; and name brands that last over 5-20 years (pansat) have some of the better records because they have been good at it. Now, they clone somebody elses stuff in a month; can you believe that? And sell it direct for 35 dollars shipped.

The biggest problem is their main; or micro fries; or heats up in such a small space; but also the memory is heat sensitive and will go into clock-bock because of it; which is the hdmi or "second chip" handling the first; another sensitive area because it has even faster memory; and has been a "great" screen compared to a "1080p". And the manufactured product is fine; it is the cAble and internet pictures that are so absolutely worse is the reason the satellites big dish looks better?

Last edited:
So, in my analysis is you can get the PCI card style (E or 16PCI; or dvb-s2 8psk is non-network Ectended; and all of their cards are the smaller versions of a DVB-S LNBf typed tuner; i do not plug them into lnb's; and have the record in question theory? Brian has the newer PC card for Extended ;; How big does the power supply have to be for PCIe? PCI16? ;; typing; is the small stuff...but to get the best tv you will ever see; you have to use a big dish.

But what they made for big dish was the best because it was si, very strong; compared to the today it is buy it; weak.

DRCars

The 5922 sits on the bench for the Ti2 project. I never have compared it with any receiver or the 6983. I had purchased it for a proof of concept on the Pi2. My only observation has been that seems significantly slower to lock, but there are so many other variables in the PI2 system that I couldn't begin to suggest that it is the 5922! :D

You received a lot of great technical feedback on Rick's (as I suspected that you would). Keep us in the loop with your hardware choice, testing and performance. We never can collect enough information and reviews.

Good Luck!

DRCars
... snip ...

You received a lot of great technical feedback on Rick's (as I suspected that you would). Keep us in the loop with your hardware choice, testing and performance. We never can collect enough information and reviews.

Good Luck!
I think the technical feedback kind of got snow-balled. Except for a couple of people interested in my question, there hasn't been much useful info regarding the specfic comparison.

However, there was a suggestion that the TBS 5925 and the Manhattan 1933 were the same at locking low level (de-tuned) signals. I appreciated that. Now if I knew how the DVBWorld 2104C, MicroHD or X2 Premium II HD compared to the 1933 then ... well a crude comparison could be made...very crude.

DRCars

Reactions: Titanium
I have a USB TBS 5925 and a DVBSky S960 I have been using on two different computers hooked to wide screen TV for several years. I have many different receivers and these two are the best of 'em all in every way. The two USB receivers do the same as each other. I paid $250 for TBS and $89.90 for the S960. As I said, they both will do the same things! The TBS also gets about 4 times hotter than S960 when operating. If you are interested, I can tell you where you can currently purchase the DVBSKY S960 for $66.43 which includes shipping.
My equipment:

12ft. mesh dish, 10ft. fiberglass dish, Venture Ball Screw MA818-B24 actuator, 36in Superjack actuator, Norsat 8115 and 4106 LNBs, BSC621-2D C/Ku lnbs, Titanium ASC1 positioner,VBox 7 positioner, 4DTv, Azbox Premium+ with hard drive, Azbox Premium+ with dual tuners, Linkbox 9000i HD IPTV, Linkbox 8000HD Plus, Amiko A3, Openbox S-9, Skybox S-11, MicroHD, Memobox, Orton 403p, X2 Premium, CloudHD N3, and Traxis 3500 satellite receivers, SATLINK WS-6906 Digital Satellite Meter, TBS 5925 &DVBSKY S960 USB, TBS 8922, Prof 7031, and Technotrend 3200 PCI cards.

Benny

The TBS 5925 is quite different then the S960. Very different tuner and demod. They do have different capabilities. ACM/vcm is the obvious one. Blind scan is different. The 5925 has a way better spectrum scan and supports iq plots. Either way you can't say they do the same job.

On the pcie note I have quite a few pcie cards and none are plugged into power even though they have the port. They all work fine. Keep in mind all my cards utilize a powered multi switch so the cards don't actually have any current load

UDL

Reactions: KE4EST
The TBS 5925 is quite different then the S960. Very different tuner and demod. They do have different capabilities. ACM/vcm is the obvious one. Blind scan is different. The 5925 has a way better spectrum scan and supports iq plots. Either way you can't say they do the same job.

On the pcie note I have quite a few pcie cards and none are plugged into power even though they have the port. They all work fine. Keep in mind all my cards utilize a powered multi switch so the cards don't actually have any current load

UDL
Do you have both a TBS 5925 and DVBSKY S960?

I think before I would invest in another tuner I would first fine tune the dish. FD is critical on a large dish, for one thing. What LNB are you using? Scalar? What birds are you having a problem locking? Where you're located you shouldn't have a problem locking anything with a properly aligned 7.5 dish and a good LNB. I'm in eastern PA with a 7.5 dish and an X2 Premium Mini (and a MicroHD) and I have no problem locking anything with either STB.

Fair enough, but my point was if you're having problems locking signal with all those different tuners then maybe it's not the tuner that's the problem. A 7.5' dish in the southern half of the US is more than enough, providing it's tuned correctly. Since money doesn't seem to be an object, why not just buy one of each and compare them on your rig.

... snip ...
A 7.5' dish in the southern half of the US is more than enough, providing it's tuned correctly.
...snip ...
You don't know what peoples' horizons look like or the particular signals they are trying to receive. You are painting with too broad a brush.;)

Many signals are OK on a 7.5' dish but some are very marginal if they can be locked at all. A particular tuner can make or break reception of some signals. I can tell that my dish is doing exactly as expected by comparing to the spectrum analyzer at satsignature.com. There is little or nothing I can do to improve what I get other than getting a bigger dish.

8PSK or 16APSK backhaul signals, especially ones with high FECs (3/4 and above), sometime require 10' dishes or larger to receive reliably. I don't generally have problems with the common 24/7 FTA commercial feeds.

why not just buy one of each and compare them on your rig.[?]

I generally wind up feeling like a sucker when I assume something new and improved is going to function better. Don't like the feeling.:oldmad I already have 1 of each and only would need the 5925. I might do that.

If I'm going to continue watching these low power higher modulated signals I'm pretty sure that a bigger dish is going to be necessary ... soon. There are now some 16APSK and 32APSK feeds that a 7.5' dish has no chance of getting.

DRCars

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts