TCM HD looks fuzzier than its SD counterpart

Thanks for the comprehensive post: it must have taken you quite a while to compose and type.

BTW, should we replace "Dish Network Programming Dept." in your first and second paragraphs with "TCM Programming Dept."?

If one of the mods can update my original paragraph to say TCM Programming Department is would be much appreciated. For some reason I can reply and post but cannot edit my original message.

Bruce

Newly restored content released at the TCM Film Festival includes:
  • HD print of "A Star Is Born" Garland, 1954 - no restored footage, shown for the first time to festival attendees on Thursday, 22 April - released to public on Blu-Ray 22 June 2010.
  • HD print of original "King Kong" - show for the first time to festival attendees on Friday, 23 April, 2010 - Blu-Ray release date unknown.
  • Full restoration of "Leave Her to Heaven" - 1946 - from Technicolor negatives with original dye transfer colors used as director shot in what is commonly referred to as "color noir" - excellent restoration - no release date. From Fox Blu-Ray release date unknown.
  • Full restoration from Technicolor negatives of "North By Northwest". Now available on Blu-Ray and shown in digital projection to TCM Festival goers on Friday, 24 April, 2010 on 75' screen at Grauman's Chinese Theatre using digital projection.
  • Full restoration of "Metropolis" - Digital - to be released in Blu-Ray DVD in future, no release date given. First public show will be Sunday night, 25 April, as closing for TCM Festival. This version contains approximately 30 additional minutes of content from the original production. No release date has been set as of this time. If a release date is announced at Sunday's screening, this thread will be updated with the additional information.
  • An HD / Blu-Ray DVD of "African Queen" was released prior to the festival through TCM website and via Amazon. We pre-ordered and received our in March and I understand that it now may have been pulled from sale for a future official release date. Not shown at TCM festival.
That's the beginning of a very nice list. When we start seeing this kind of HD programming, TCM HD will be a really valuable source for classic HD movies. I can't wait to see King Kong.

Scott

Here is the final word from the TCM Programming Department in response to my question about their HD Content posted during a "People Behind the Network Forum" held at 15.30 hours, PDT, at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel on Friday afternoon, 23 April, 2010:

TCM currently up-converts all content on the HD feed at this time and will begin to feed actual HD content to the HD feed within the year. Their initial objective was to get the HD feed in place and then, as they can acquire HD prints from the studios; HD prints for the licensed content which they own outright, and HD prints for future programming; begin to feed HD and down-convert for the SD feed.

The reason for the long lead time is that some of the rights to the films are negotiated as far as three years out. While normal programming is done between 5 and 7 months out - they are currently programming general content for September / October 2010 - special circumstances, such as significant dates in history, director or actor's birthdays, or other events can require planning as much as five years in advance.
It's been almost a year, and it doesn't look any actual HD content has been shown yet.

Does anyone have any updated info on their plans?

Scott

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)