Tech Chat Recap 11-10-08

Do we know how many tuners can be recorded from with the 722K? They mentioned being able to record one OTA while watching another live. The D* DVR only allows 2 recordings in total iirc. With the current 722, one can record from one OTA tuner and two satellite tuners simultaneously. Is the 722k allowing all four tuners to be recorded from simultaneously?

Do we know how many tuners can be recorded from with the 722K? They mentioned being able to record one OTA while watching another live. The D* DVR only allows 2 recordings in total iirc. With the current 722, one can record from one OTA tuner and two satellite tuners simultaneously. Is the 722k allowing all four tuners to be recorded from simultaneously?

Can anyone answer Laddyboy's question? Also, if the 722K can record all four tuners, does anyone know how the guide will be displayed? Will it have OTA 1 and OTA 2 blended in?

Did they mention whether or not they will fix the external HD "bug"/feature where it takes you back to the top of the list every time you exit a program. If you are searching through let's say a bunch of Spongebob recordings it takes me back up the the top of the list instead of leaving me where I was. Real annoying..... Take forever to scroll back down to "S"

And the other question that I already know the answer to: When will be able to take the EHDs from a ViP 6xx or 7xx and play them on a ViP 2xx receiver? That's what I want!

Also, semi-off-topic: TigerDirect has the 500GB Seagate FreeAgent drive for $79.

That's a good point. I had asked about this before and was basically told there were limitations with the USB interface...

I got this same answer from the engineers at Team Summit back in may. Basically there is not enough bandwidth on the USB 2 interface to allow recording. Partially because folks would expect all the trick-play functions, and multiple streams.

I posted part of this in a thread last week after I got a response back from technical support on questions I had on the IR converter for TV2 and the recording software for the 211 & 222's (222 is not going to be supported with this function at this time).

For the DVR function on the 211/211k, I asked them about fees and the ability to move the EHD between a 211/211k and a 622/722 and they came back with 'The 211/211k will have this software available; however, this will be a separate fee and you will not be able to share the information between a 622/722 and 211/211k. These are two separate types of EHD functionality, EHD Archive (622/722) and EHD DVR (211/211k). Since these EHD’s would serve different purposes they would be reformatted if used between receivers and the recordings would be lost. If you had two 211’s those could share one EHD.'

Sure would have been nice if you could move the data between 622/722 and 211/211k's. Hopefully they'll add the functionality to the 222/222k sometime down the line.

In response to my inquiry about the availability of IR TV2 converter, they stated in their email 'As of now the IR converter it appears was delayed until Feb. 2009'. I was surprised nobody asked about it especially after their presentation for Sling. Makes using your Sling a lot less disruptive for anyone watching the TV connected to a dual tuner receiver and a Slingbox while someone else is remotely watching the same receiver/Slingbox setup. Right now you have to connect the Slingbox to TV1 if you want to control the receiver with the Slingbox but with the converter you can connect it to TV2.

So what is the 211 going to act like with a hard drive? Does it somehow have a USB2 interface that's different from every other USB2 interface?

Can anyone answer Laddyboy's question? Also, if the 722K can record all four tuners, does anyone know how the guide will be displayed? Will it have OTA 1 and OTA 2 blended in?
The guide will look like it does now. WIth one OTA channel being listed.

Just like the 622 does not list all satellite channels twice because its a dual tuner unit. :)

So what is the 211 going to act like with a hard drive? Does it somehow have a USB2 interface that's different from every other USB2 interface?

Actually those _engineers_ whom LER talked at Team Summit didn't reveal real problem related to EHD, not just USB 2.0 limitations - additional ENCRYPTION what eat a lot of recourses and do not allow do more tasks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)