Tech Chat - What do YOU want to see?

dogpoobob said:
I would like to know why they can't get the OTA program guide fixed on the 942. We've been through 4 software updates and still don't have a solution to this problem.
My guide problem was finally fixed with L2.27 - the problem must be related to each subscribers home DMA.

1. Ability to archive material from HD-DVR to external storage device
  2. Ability to reuse that storage device on another HD-DVR in the event of original HD-DVR devices failure.

I just thought of some others:
-Why don't they activate USB port for standard external hdd's?
-Why aren't their DVR's hdd's upgradable like Tivo and DirecTivo?
-Why is OTA guide info not available for FREE on OTA-capable receivers, since those subs already pay $5/mo DVR fee? (Or, not available AT ALL for many subs.)

1) When will an external HD be available for the 942
2) Along with #1 above, why do they not allow us to add a bigger HD to our DVR's

Alt

Scott Greczkowski said:
Hey guys, the guys are getting ready for Monday Night's Tech Chat and they want to know as they prepare what you want to see them discuss on Monday Night.

So you have the floor, tell the Dish Network Tech Chat Guys Mark and Dan what you would like to se covered on Monday!
The Dish Portable Media Player

What will be the policy to upgrade 942 or earlier recievers to MPEG4

Why can't I get the PBS HD channel listings for my local digital station. It only shows the analog which is totally wrong

When will the extended hard drive for the 942 be available?

This is not a tech issue but certainly would like to know when VOOM will add new content.

Why would they need our input to what we want to hear when it is so obvious. MPEG 4 and more HD plans.

How about any information on the E-10 satellite like scheduled launch date, launch vehicle, capabilities, planned programming etc. It is very unusual for Dish to be so tight-lipped about a satellite although it could be for competition reasons or because the FCC is still working out detailed rules related to the SHREVA legislation that could be influenced by significant increases in Dish capabilities especially related to locals.

Information on portable DVR and release date, MPEG-4 receiver release and swapout dates, Dish1000 plans for 129, When will NBR be added to 501/508/510 models, When will external hard drives be available/able to be used with the usb ports on the DVR's?

I would like to see/hear

1. Why was the decision made not to including multiple OTA digital tuners in existing HD PVR receivers? Will this trend continue with future HD receivers?

2. Native resolution pass through has been requested on numerous occasions. Why has this feature not been included on all HD receivers?

3. Will someone please step up to the plate and explain what the causal factors are that generated so many issues with the 921. Are those issues related to poor hardware design, poor software support or other factors. Will 921 owners be given any special consideration (pain and suffering) when MPEG4 PVR receiver upgrade plans are formulated?

4. This request is for the Tech and Charlie Chat.
PLEASE DUMP THE GUESTS. BRIEFLY DESCRIBE FUTURE PLANS/PROMOTIONS THEN SPEND MORE TIME ANSWERING QUESTIONS FROM YOUR SUBSCRIBERS. GET RID OF THE FLUFF. THIS IS SUPPOSE TO BE A CHAT, WHICH IS A FORUM FOR TWO WAY COMMUNICATION.

- Dish has acquired several orbital slots and leases on satellites. Can we get an overview of these along with what type of programming or services will be offered from each one? How many could a subscriber potentially need to see?

- How will Dish comply with the FCC's intent for OTA viewers to have free guide information with their free DTV broadcasts? Will you be adding the channels missing from your guide or will you implement full PSIP?

- Full guide information for all Dish-carried locals is in the EEPG. The 921 and 942 do not display listings for satellite channels you can't receive (no dish) or aren't allowed to subscribe to (for now, neighboring DMA) which makes sense. Neither condition is a factor in the reception of DTV stations and therefore should not be considered when the receiver determines which channels to display on the guide. If the receiver is able to get the broadcast it should simply match the call letters to the EEPG entry and display the listing. The display of OTA listings should not be linked to the display of satellite channel listings.

- Many receivers have gotten a software update in the last few weeks. What was this for? What was included in the larger updates for the 522/625, 811, 921 and 942?

- When will the 721 work with the DPP Twin?

- Explain the recent fiasco with the 921 being unable to tune DTV stations.

-MPEG - 4, when (just narrow it down, I don't need the date), and how much we're going to be squeezed for new receivers...

- What type of errors we can expect when they remove all that useless dish home bingo nonsense off my service...I pay for TV, not games...oh, and who will lose their jobs when Dish drops the on-demand that's bound to fail...

- What type of plan to overhaul the entire DVR line is in place. Removable HDD's, USB ports, etc...They should make 2 versions of every DVR. One that's got that HDD locked down tight (For charlie chat guest-types), and one that's exactly the same except you can easily slide the HDD out for a bigger one. Make people ask for it specifically and you know only the right people, who know what they're doing, will ask for it.

The L216 fiasco

BobaBird said:
- Explain the recent fiasco with the 921 being unable to tune DTV stations.
The L215 software update allowed non-subscribers to see the LIL data (as red in the) guide.
Soon after DN discovered that mistake they released L216 as a correction. Although it now removed LIL capabilities for non-subs the guide integration feature also removed PSIP identified station that matched the LIL from the guide. So although you can still tune and list stations through menu 6 - 8 they were prevented from being mapped into the guide. This meant that non-subs can no longer select those free OTA digital stations. The temporary fix was to give non-subs one month free subscription to locals to override the permissions problem.
Now L218 should correct the non-sub issue, meaning that the guide policy should be the same as L213 (before L215 introduced the LIL leak).

BCH said:
I would like to see/hear
3. Will someone please step up to the plate and explain what the causal factors are that generated so many issues with the 921. Are those issues related to poor hardware design, poor software support or other factors. Will 921 owners be given any special consideration (pain and suffering) when MPEG4 PVR receiver upgrade plans are formulated?
Read L216 fiasco for most recent gripe.

Basically 921 owners have been promised fixes to well known bugs that continue to haunt their receivers. And the recent software updates have not provided fixes to most of the bugs.

I imagine that all recent HD receivers would qualify for upgrade because MPEG4 is going to affect HD subscribers first. Hopefully it will also include the 6000 owners. 5000 with HD modulators will be SOL.
PS: I think that there may be more 921s than 942s.

Quote: - What type of errors we can expect when they remove all that useless dish home bingo nonsense off my service...I pay for TV, not games...oh, and who will lose their jobs when Dish drops the on-demand that's bound to fail...

Reply: Well, some people joined for the bingoTV and Dish-On-Demand. I enjoy bingoTV every wednesday and Dish-On-Demand is there when I can't get to Hollywood Video. Just because you don't like those 2 features, doesnt mean that everyone else has to suffer from losing the channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)