Tech Help needed!!!

Bilodeaumj

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
San Diego
Can anyone assist/advise? As of last night, I have completely lost Satellite signal. The strange thing is I still have OTA. My signal quality and strength is at "0" but I still get the main menu.

I am located in San Diego and we have had no major weather to speak of (besides a heat wave). I checked the cables running from the satellite and they (& the satellite) seem o.k. - plus I am getting OTA stations.

I have called CS but they can't get anyone out until late Friday. To facilitate the repair does anyone have any experience or recommendations?

The key (me thinks) is that since I do have OTA and a menu I don't think it's the reciever (plus it's happening as well on my second STV). Could it me that little box (LNB???) at the tip of the satellite dish? I was installed with a di-plexor. Could a cable have fallen out somewhere along the line (or at the dish) that I missed?

Any suggestions? (TNX in advance!)

Sean Mota said:
Did you unplug/plug the receiver? Try that...

Yes. I did the unplug (on both recievers) but to no avail. Is the LNB hot? I have an aversion to getting electrocuted. My problem has to be with the LNB (I hope)...MJB

Fixed it - Thanks!

And the answer was...

It was the Di-Plexer next to the dish. It seems to be a bit chincy and after "banging" it around a bit, it finally kicked in the signal. I'm still keeping my tech call so hopefully they'll get rid of the diplexer as a whole. Thanks for the help! MJB

Bilodeaumj said:
And the answer was...

It was the Di-Plexer next to the dish. It seems to be a bit chincy and after "banging" it around a bit, it finally kicked in the signal. I'm still keeping my tech call so hopefully they'll get rid of the diplexer as a whole. Thanks for the help! MJB

One more reason not to use the diplexer...

Just replace it with a good pair that cost around $25, none of the $5 each kind which Voom appears to use. I've been using diplexers for 3 1/2 years now with Dish and now with VOOM and I've tested signal strength and quality with and without and there is no difference.

DarrellP,

I meant the diplexer that VOOM is using. I am sure others work. But the one VOOM is using is creating problems.

Anyone using the RCA diplexor from Radio Shack? I might go ahead and replace my bad diplexor myself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)