Tech visit

Status
Please reply by conversation.

janzy

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
I installed a swm-8 a couple of weeks ago.
I added an external HD antenna to the ota port at that time.
My dvr and one other receiver will not work with the diplexers. The one receiver that accepts the diplexer works like a charm. The other 2 receivers, I removed the diplexers and I get loss of picture at least a dozen times a day, with a 771 message on the screen.
Direct tv wants $49 for a service call because I installed the swm myself, so they are coming out in a few hours. The tech tells me on the phone diplexers will not work with swm8's.
Is he wrong? I think so.
The Direct Tv tech left a while ago and first told me I was using the wrong SMW. He said I should be using a SMW5 instead of the smw8. I have all the correct equipment installed and installed correctly. He then told me there is not enough power for the ota to work on my 3 receivers. Then he told me the swm8 will not work on my 3 receivers.
I have a h20-700 DVR, and 2 h20-100's.
The diplexer works on one of the h20-100's.
All specs I read lead me to believe the swm8 does and should work on my receivers.
All this info from the tech for $49 and he never looked at my receivers, just the power supply in the cellar.
Am I correct in my info?

I installed a swm-8 a couple of weeks ago.
I added an external HD antenna to the ota port at that time.
My dvr and one other receiver will not work with the diplexers. The one receiver that accepts the diplexer works like a charm. The other 2 receivers, I removed the diplexers and I get loss of picture at least a dozen times a day, with a 771 message on the screen.
Direct tv wants $49 for a service call because I installed the swm myself, so they are coming out in a few hours. The tech tells me on the phone diplexers will not work with swm8's.
Is he wrong? I think so.
The Direct Tv tech left a while ago and first told me I was using the wrong SMW. He said I should be using a SMW5 instead of the smw8. I have all the correct equipment installed and installed correctly. He then told me there is not enough power for the ota to work on my 3 receivers. Then he told me the swm8 will not work on my 3 receivers.
I have a h20-700 DVR, and 2 h20-100's.
The diplexer works on one of the h20-100's.
All specs I read lead me to believe the swm8 does and should work on my receivers.
All this info from the tech for $49 and he never looked at my receivers, just the power supply in the cellar.
Am I correct in my info?

The service call use to be $ 79, it was dropped to $ 49 just recently :)

I don't have the equipment you have so I cannot say for sure, someone else would have to verify your situation.
I will speculate, someone else can correct me :)
I would expect that diplexers won't work anymore, as they really are not suppose to work with the 5 LNB set up at all.

As for the 5 vs 8, don't see why one would not work and one would, if it works with a 5 you would expect it to work with an 8.

Power for the OTA ? is that going thru the swm 5-8 as well ?

Jimbo

the 5 doesn't accept ota inputs, while the 8 does.
And, the diplexer works just fine and has from day 1 on one of the receivers.
$135 a month is what I pay for my sat service and have ben a customer for years, I also pay for the so-called "protection plan"!
I will be calling customer retention tomorrow and se if they can straighten this out and if not, it's off to Dish.

the 5 doesn't accept ota inputs, while the 8 does.
And, the diplexer works just fine and has from day 1 on one of the receivers.
$135 a month is what I pay for my sat service and have ben a customer for years, I also pay for the so-called "protection plan"!
I will be calling customer retention tomorrow and se if they can straighten this out and if not, it's off to Dish.

If you pay for the Protection plan there should be NO cost to you for the visit.

Jimbo

they claim since I installed the swm8 myself I voided the protection plan.

The techs have no idea what they are doing.Yesterday, on their visit, they told me my receivers would not work with swm8.
I have h20-700, and 2 h20-100's. Everything I read says they work!

So can't he disconnect the one he installed and have them come out ansd install one, then it';s covered?

Jimbo

Except D* isnt proving Tech Installed SWM8's So if he was "replaced" it would be with a SWLNB3 or 5.

Diplexing the OTA out should work, have you tried swapping the "bad" diplexers with one you know works? Are all 3 Diplexers the same?

So can't he disconnect the one he installed and have them come out ansd install one, then it';s covered?

Jimbo

That COULD work, but what if they have already noted in the users account that the "unauthorized" work was done? I am not saying 110% they did this, BUT it stands to reason that they could & would.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)