technical help needed

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rabi

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 6, 2005
I have a Phase III dish with all three LNB's going into my home
at two locations...One coax feeds an Hughes E86 Hd receiver and another feeds a Hughes Directors receiver...they are in different rooms...

When the contractors put the new siding on my house I had them put it over the cables running across my house...

I would now like to switch out either receiver for a DVR, but want to add a dual tuner DVR...

Is there anyway to split the coax line going to either receiver and feed it into both ports of a dual-tuner DVR?

Looking at a powered multi-switch, I don't think it will do it, because the Phase III has a built-in multi-switch....

or can I run one cable through the multiswitch and split it to two different inputs, and still get programming from 101, 110, 119?

Hey rabi...
great question, and it comes up alot.
While I don't know all the in's and outs of the reasons why, I do know that you cannot just put a splitter on the end of a cable and use a dual tuner.

I have a Phase III Dish and am feeding 6 tuners in my home via a multiswitch, so if you can add a multiswitch, and a second cable run that may be your best option.

If you are in a position where you need to "split" a cable you'd have to use a Stacker and De-Stacker. I know little about those devices but there are others here can answer those types of questions.

Where does the multiswitch have to be terminated? Next to the dish so that all feeds have to go through it or can you use it as a glorified splitter?

Thx

The multiswitch gets put between dish and receivers. Will need o be sure the multi switch is a cascadable variety. 4 runs from the Phase III dish go to the multi switch. Could be a 4X8 or a 5X8 if you want to include OTA antenna into each feed instead of using a diplexer at the dish end of it, will still need a diplexer at the receiver end. As you know the switch will then have 8 outlets available for you to use at that point.

Stackers/Destackers dhould be last line of action. Those are $$$$.

Tonedeaf said:
The multiswitch gets put between dish and receivers. Will need o be sure the multi switch is a cascadable variety. 4 runs from the Phase III dish go to the multi switch. Could be a 4X8 or a 5X8 if you want to include OTA antenna into each feed instead of using a diplexer at the dish end of it, will still need a diplexer at the receiver end. As you know the switch will then have 8 outlets available for you to use at that point.

and they dont work with anything except 101

ok...some more info probably needed for you guys...

I only have two lines coming from the dish out of four because the dish is like 40 feet in the air(on the roof)...
I don't want to get up there and run another line from the dish and drill through the siding(UGLY)...

What I am asking is if I can take one of the two lines and run it into a multiswitch and then run the other end into two inputs on a dual tuner DVR?
or do I need some other type of hardware instead of a multiswitch? would that be the stacker/destacker?

riggscm said:
Hey rabi...
great question, and it comes up alot.
While I don't know all the in's and outs of the reasons why, I do know that you cannot just put a splitter on the end of a cable and use a dual tuner.

thanks for your response...I didn't say anything about a splitter...

riggscm said:
I have a Phase III Dish and am feeding 6 tuners in my home via a multiswitch, so if you can add a multiswitch, and a second cable run that may be your best option.

"second" cable run? why would I need the multiswitch then?

Tonedeaf said:

since you seem to know what you're talking about...

I am confused on how another multiswitch works on a Phase III dish...
since there is already a built in multiswitch that enables four outputs, is it **necessary** to run all FOUR lines into another multiswitch when using something like a 4x8? I am confused on the setup...

Dish --> built in multiswitch --> One output --> ????
Dish --> built in multiswitch --> Second output --> ????

the ???? is where I want to put multiswitches...is this possible?

To answer your ultimate question... NOT GONNA HAPPEN

Stacker/Destacker is out if ou locals are not on 101 or any of your programming is on 101... its also out because you need 2 runs going into it.

Satellite cant be split and work properly.

a multiswitch is designed to take the inputs available and create more thats why its a switch and not a splitter... it doesnt turn off and on it switches between inputs.

A Little History...

In olden days of D* the 2x or 3x multiswitches were used for multiple receivers because they could take the odd transponders and even transponders of 101 and switch between them inside the switch...basicly the dish had 2 lnbs (lloked like one as there were 2 inside it) both looked at 101.. there were 2 outputs on the lnb. if just a receiver was hooked up to that lnb on one input the receiver could request odds or evens. that was fine for applications with just 2 runs needed (2 receivers or 1 dvr). but when people had 2 3 4 5 and so on tvs they had to come up with something. a 2x multiswitch was born... basicly 1 output of the switch was tied to 101 even and the other 101 odd. this way a receiver requesting one or the other didnt conflict with the other and a switch flipped form one ot the other inside the switch. (Single Pole Double throw for an engineers out there) Basicly whatever was on that line from the switch could decide which input of the switch it needed.

the Phase 3 works on the same principal it just adds a Tone (22khz i believe) to distinguish which sat to look at... 101 odd 101 even 110 even and 119 odd i believe... the tone distinguishes it from 101 so it knows to look at the other 2 and the voltage tells it which one.

thus the reason why Phase 3 (4x or 5x) multiswitches have 4 inputs... you have your voltage switched 101odd and 101 even and your tone switched 110 even and 119 odd (4 items) I for instance have a 4x8 multiswitch.. take all 4 connections from the dish and hook it in to the switch then i have the ability to hook 8 lines into the switch thus effectively doubling my ability. that is the only way of multiplying your outputs... ther eis no Splitting that will work correctly.

I really hope this clarified why you need all 4 lines rn into a multiswitch, why a splitter wont work, and why a stacker destacker wont work (other than being really expensive). best solution is get someone who knows what they are doing to run you a new line from the lnb... and make sure its grounded.

rabi said:
is it **necessary** to run all FOUR lines into another multiswitch when using something like a 4x8?

to get all 4 "looking spots" (2 for 101 and 119 and 110) yes it is absolutely necessary.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts