Technical Help Needed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

willagerGA

Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
Georgia
Just came back from vacation and had freezing on one HR24. (didnt check the others) The next morning there was a 775 error message on both HR24s and the H24. Called ext 775 and they had me unplug the SWM. Still no picture, still error 775. About a half hour latter picture was back on all units. It went out once more and then back on.

The next afternoon all the units were operating properly when the DirecTV tech arrived. He found a bad connection on the feed wire to the SWM coming out of the wall jack. He replaced the SWM and also the LNB. Everything was working fine when he left. He said I had 100's on some of the transponders. Then this evening the 775 was back again.

The tech was concerned about the run from the dish to the house. It is aprox 300 ft and is RG7 instead of 6. He said that the SWM is only rated for 120 ft. The thing is, this system has been working flawlessly for 8 years, and the RG7 is much lower resistance than RG6. He stated that he usually tests the voltage by touching the wire with his hand, and I dont have as strong a jolt as he is used to.

I have been thinking of changing the H24 to a Genie, and I asked him about it. He stated that he would not use a Genie with my setup as he said the Genie is much slower than the units I have and could have problems with the run. So I asked about moving the dish closer to the house as we have had some trees taken down and I though we might have a good view of the sky. He says DirecTv no longer will pay to put in a pole. The new run would be about 50 ft. He said it would probably cost $100 to $150 out of pocket.

So first question is, are there any thoughts on getting the 775, knowing that he replaced the SWM and LNB? Second any thoughts on the run of RG7? and third, if they wont pay to put in a new pole, what do they pay for?

Tech scheduled for tomorrow morning. wish me luck

Thanks
Pete

RG6 and RG7 are both 75 ohm cable so should have the same resistance. A 775 code means you have a bad connection somewhere between the lnb and the power inserter, a bad inserter, or maybe just low voltage. With such a long run, have you tried using a 29 volt power inserter, assuming you are now using a 21 volt model. BTW, installing a pole is relatively easy.

Reactions: robertjm
RG7 ?
Not much difference ...
Why did he not use RG 11 ?
That' what I would recommend for longer distances.
As for them charging for pole placement, it' hit and miss.
If you have cleared the trees in the area you want it, put one in yourself if you want.
Use a 2" pole, sch. 40 is what I use.
Put a bolt in the end your gonna bury, and concrete.
Make sure pole is plumb when you place it.

Before you move it, unless you want to do it regardless, I would suggest changing out the Power Inserter with the 29v one like Chip mentioned.

Move the dish when the weather gets better.

Reactions: robertjm
Based on the info from here I recommended to the new "experienced" tech,replacing the power inserter with a 29 volt unit. He also changed the splitter out. So far works great.

Reactions: raoul5788
You got something bad such as a power inserter, splitter, fitting etc.

The only solution is to start changing parts till it fixes the issue.

I assume the wire is buried? My advice is to run a new wire to the dish on the ground as a temp setup to see if that corrects the issue.

You can use RG6 which should work fine at 300 feet on a temp install. Just make sure you go to RG11 when you bury it again.

You can change all the splitters, and connectors.

29 volt power inserter won’t hurt unless the one you have now is bad.

I say you have another bad connection or the underground cable has a cut in it and is going bad.

You got something bad such as a power inserter, splitter, fitting etc.

The only solution is to start changing parts till it fixes the issue.

I assume the wire is buried? My advice is to run a new wire to the dish on the ground as a temp setup to see if that corrects the issue.

You can use RG6 which should work fine at 300 feet on a temp install. Just make sure you go to RG11 when you bury it again.

You can change all the splitters, and connectors.

29 volt power inserter won’t hurt unless the one you have now is bad.

I say you have another bad connection or the underground cable has a cut in it and is going bad.
He already fixed the problem.

Status
Please reply by conversation.