Televes Dat/Boss antenna upside down?

jerryez

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Pensacola,FL
I just bought the Televes DATBOSS LR Mix Hi-VHF UHF Long Range Antenna with 5G Filter 75 Mile Range 149884 and the instructions say to install the long beam at the top. I had my 30' antenna pole laying on saw horses and accidentally installed it upside down with the short beam at the top. My scan brings in all the channels that I could not get with my old antenna and several that I never heard of. Does anyone think that I should lay the pole back down and turn the antenna over or just leave it as is? It is completely installed and looks real good and neat. It would be like starting all over to switch it. Does anyone know what db's that I am losing?

I just bought the Televes DATBOSS LR Mix Hi-VHF UHF Long Range Antenna with 5G Filter 75 Mile Range 149884 and the instructions say to install the long beam at the top. I had my 30' antenna pole laying on saw horses and accidentally installed it upside down with the short beam at the top. My scan brings in all the channels that I could not get with my old antenna and several that I never heard of. Does anyone think that I should lay the pole back down and turn the antenna over or just leave it as is? It is completely installed and looks real good and neat. It would be like starting all over to switch it. Does anyone know what db's that I am losing?
Not sure, but the long beam should be on the top as you said. There must be a good reason, otherwise they wouldn't stress it. As for my experience with them, this is my present setup as of 3 weeks ago. 3 markets, as I combine them with a Televes SmartKom device:
IMG_20231003_141024997.jpg
:

Leaves are falling mine is assembled and ready to go up in a week or two. The smaller Televes pointing south to the lighthouse tower and the big one North/ Norteast and mixed through the smartKom. Love these antennas!

Reactions: primestar31
The seller got back to me and sent this: Our tech support informed us that there would be very little loss, maybe 1 or 2 db at the most. Since all of the channels are coming in Ok there would be no need to reverse it.

I've actually installed that antenna right side up and upside down to test. I found that yes, it does work better if installed properly but the difference really only shows in the really distant channels.

I think the thread starter knows this, but for the benefit of anyone else reading this... the long booms at the front contain directors. (These are the little horizontal bars.) They act as guides to focus the signal on the single receiving element which is about 2/3 of the way back.

When you mount the antenna upside down, you're just not capturing as many signals that are headed up more toward the sky. In many cases, you're still directing enough signal to the receiving element anyway. Why? Because these Televes antennas are just so overbuilt, which is great.

Iam 30 miles from most of the towers and 50 miles from the two farthest. The area is flat and my antenna is 30' off the ground. My Televes is designed for 75 miles from towers. All the towers are within 5 degrees of each other from my house. So, this antenna is an overkill for my needs. My old Televes was only 43 inches long and worked for years, but the preamp went out and I lost three stations. My one VHF and two UHF stations out of 13 stations available. I did point the front of the antenna up a little bit to pickup over my neighbors trees.

There's a water "weep hole" at the bottom of the curved boom, that is, IF the antenna is installed right-side up. With that weep hole now at the top, that curved boom/brace can fill with rain water, and freeze. Which would likely split it and cause damage. Just letting you know...

There's a water "weep hole" at the bottom of the curved boom, that is, IF the antenna is installed right-side up. With that weep hole now at the top, that curved boom/brace can fill with rain water, and freeze. Which would likely split it and cause damage. Just letting you know...
Oooooh.... That could be a problem.

My old antenna was a smaller Televes, but the preamp plastic casing is exactly the same design. I took a water hose and tried to fill it with water and the water came out the (top)bottom as fast as it went in at the (bottom)top. The casing is a snap together three piece assembly. The water even comes out the cracks between the sides where it snaps together.

Last edited:
Iam 30 miles from most of the towers and 50 miles from the two farthest. The area is flat
Over 30 miles, this is especially not true on this planet.

IMG_0972.jpeg

Over 30 miles, this is especially not true on this planet.
The highest point in Florida is only 345 feet above sea level. My towers are half way between Pensacola, FL and Mobile, AL, which is the highest point between the two cities. Obviously, our planet is not flat, but their is not much elevation in 30 miles, especially in Florida..

The highest point in Florida is only 345 feet above sea level. My towers are half way between Pensacola, FL and Mobile, AL, which is the highest point between the two cities. Obviously, our planet is not flat, but their is not much elevation in 30 miles, especially in Florida..
I live in Florida, I know that, but the earth still curves no matter what.

I turned my antenna over so that the long beam is at the top. I ran a signal check and got the same readings on all channels that I got with it upside down, but for those concerned with water damage from rain. That should solve that problem. Thanks for the concerns.