Tell us about your Local HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS, WB, UPN, PAX, UNIVISION and a local independent all send out digital signals in the Phoenix area. Most have HD (except UNIVISION). The problem here is ABC has two signals, 15-1 and 15-2 (similar to other digital channels around the country), but what that does is make MNF look like crap. I've seen how great 720p can look and our local ABC channel has about the worst looking HD signal out there.

ATLANTA

http://www.atlantadtv.org/stations.htm

2 WSB ABC 39 Now
5 WAGA FOX 27 Now
8 WGTV PBS 22 soon
11 WXIA NBC 10 Now
14 WPXA PAX 51 Now
17 WTBS TBS 20 Now
30 WPBA PBS 21 soon
34 WHOT Ind 48 Unknown
36 WATL WB 25 Now
46 WGCL CBS 19 Now
69 WUPA UPN 43 Now

From the Great Northwest in the Rose City:

ABC: Transmits all available HD programming in DD 5.1. All non HD in a 14:9 window. One channel only. HD very nice. They just dropped ABC News as a subchannel.
CBS: Transmits all available HD programming. 1 sub channel, in 4:3 SD.
NBC: Most of the time they transmit all available HD programming. One additional 4:3 subchannel. HD channel very blocky with action.
PBS: Simulcasts Analog channel until 8 pm then they switch to special HD/SD upconverted material. Single channel, Very nice HD.
FOX: Single channel, now broadcasting 720P HD.
WB: Now HD & DD 5.1.
PAX: Now digital with 4 channels, 2 religious.
UPN: Just fired up HD.

Local HD

I live in the southwest suburbs of Chicago. I've got a Terk TV55 antenna outside feeding my Samsung HD reciever, which integrates with DirecTv perfectly.

We get ABC/NBC/CBS OTA all in HD with no problem. Reception varies from 60-80 depending on the channel. CBS will pixel occasionally. We get Fox in digital, but they aren't doing any HD content at this time (only 480)

Scott Greczkowski said:
Ok here's what I get from 10 miles outside of Hartford.

Are you north or south of Hartford. I'm in Hamden (about 25 miles SSW of Hartford) and can only get ABC. Maybe I'm using the wrong antenna.

Hey, I live in Denver and I get the following

NBC - HD signal (local news is broadcast in high def now - Kathy Sabine yeeoowzza)
CBS - HD signal
ABC - HD and SD signal
FOX - Widescreen and 4:3 format
PBS - 4 channels (outstanding reception!)
UPN - ditigal but not HD

Interesting note. I have a Mits-55" HDTV w/ built in tuner. I have a cheap UHF/VHF antenna I got at home depot and I have it sitting on top of my TV. I did great reception 80-90% of the time. Now compared to my 6000 w/ OTA tuner and a TERK amplified antenna attached to my dish, I sometimes don't get any signal at all, zippo! So, it seem the Mits - 55" integrated tuner is by far superior to 6000's OTA tuner.

By the way, I will be on HDNET on Wed. at 7 PM pacific in the eposide "Across America". This magician does some lame magic trick in downtown denver..

Hey, I live in Denver and I get the following

NBC - HD signal (local news is broadcast in high def now - Kathy Sabine yeeoowzza)
CBS - HD signal
ABC - HD and SD signal
FOX - Widescreen and 4:3 format
PBS - 4 channels (outstanding reception!)
UPN - ditigal but not HD

I certainly agree about Kathy Sabine, but please note that you are not watching a digital broadcast of UPN from Denver. Denver UPN's digital channel is 19 and they haven't begun any broadcasts as of yet. Testing is supposed to commence in March 2004, but that may be delayed until the new LOM tower is completed next year.

gredneck said:
how do you find out what signal strength (half, ful, etc.) a certain station has?

Well with the 6000U w/ 8VSB, when you switch to an OTA Ditigal channel, a bar meter will appear at the right-hand top and the strength of that channe's signal will show up. It usually bounces around, and will eventally lock in. On my Mits integrated tuner, no meter exists, so the channel is either there or not, no meter bar to indicate the strength.

--shich

OTA not always widescreen on NBC?

Do any of you experience some NBC programs which are supposed to be broadcast in1080i not always filling the screen? I have experienced this several times when viewing West Wing, Law & Order and Jay Leno. Sometimes they start out 4x3 then switch to 16x9 after commercial.

I have emailed both NBC and my local broadcaster, WDIV, but have not heard back. My 6000 is very satable and I get all digital signals above 85%.

What's up ? Is somebody asleep at the switch ?

Stingray

Spokane, Washington. All are at full power unless otherwise noted:

2-01 KREM CBS (20) - Intermittent HD pass through. Some nights HD, some nights not. A few nights ago, they ran CBS HD with no local content.

4-01 KXLY ABC (13) - 100% HD pass through. All local content is resized to 16x9 with no stretching. Very nice!

6-01 KHQ NBC (15) - Color bars 24/7
6-02 KHQ NBC (15) - SD feed 24/7

7-01 KSPS PBS (8) - SD during the daytime. PBS Digital feed at night (except during beg-a-thons).

22-01 KSKN WB (36) (low power) - Co-owned with KREM. SD 24/7.

26-01 KCDT PBS Idaho PTV SD (45) - My Dish Network 811 won't lock on this one, but I can't imagine the HD feed looks very good, given the use of the bandwidth.
26-02 KCDT PBS Kids (45)
26-03 KCDT PBS Learn (45)
26-04 KCDT PBS Citizen (45)
26-05 KCDT PBS Idaho PTV HD (45)

28-01 KAYU FOX (30) - SD 24/7. Stretched to 16x9. Severe pixelization even with 88% signal level.

San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose

Using a CM 4228 UHF antenna and a rotor along with a Wingard 9113 cut for channel 12, I get the following stations from my home in San Francisco. I'm only 3/4 of a mile from Sutro Tower, so an indoor antenna works great for those stations, but I need the outside antennas for the other stations.

12.1 KNTV San Jose NBC HD
12.2 KNTV San Jose NBC SD
19.1 KBWB San Fran WB HD
19.2 KBWB San Fran WB SD
24.1 KGO San Fran ABC HD
24.2 KGO San Fran ABC SD
24.3 KGO San Fran WX Radar SD
27.1 KTSF San Fran Chinese Progming SD
27.2 KTSF San Fran Chinese Progming - alternate language SD
29.1 KPIX San Fran CBS HD
30.1 KQED San Fran PBS HD - 8 pm to 6 am
30.2 KQED San Fran PBS SD - 24 hours
30.3 KQED San Fran PBS SD - 6 am to 8 pm
30.4 KQED San Fran PBS SD - 6 am to 8 pm
30.5 KQED San Fran PBS SD - 6 am to 8 pm
39.1 KCNS San Fran Home Shopping SD
41.1 KKPX San Jose PAX SD
43.1 KCSM San Mateo PBS HD
43.2 KCSM San Mateo PBS SD
45.1 KBHK San Fran UPN HD
47.1 KTLN Novato Christain CCN SD
49.1 KSTS San Jose Telemundo SD
49.2 KNTV San Jose (repeat of 12.1) HD
51.1 KDTV San Fran Univision SD
52.1 KICU San Jose Independant SD
54.1 KFTY Santa Rosa Independant SD
56.1 KTVU Oakland FOX Wide Screen (HD capable)
57.1 KRON San Fran Independant HD
63.1 KTNC Concord AZA SD

For a complete list of all digital stations that are on the air in the San Francisco Bay Area, Sacramento, and the Monterey Bay Area check out my web site at: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html

Larry Kenney

20 Miles west of chicago

Chicago_west suburbs HDTV

WBBM-DT 2.1 CBS
WPWR-DT 50.1
WYCC-DT 20.1
WTTW-DT 11.1 PBS
WLS-DT 7.1 ABC
WMAQ-DT 5.1 NBC
WGN-DT 9.1 WGN
WXFT-DT 60.1
WFLD-DT 32.1 FOX
WCPX-DT 38.1

I have a channel master mid to small sized, UHF-VHF chimney mounted antenna, with one inline preamp & a satellite/ota combiner splitter setup. Since I put the preamp inline I have no signal drop or pixelation on any channel. Im 20 miles from the main towers.
ABC is the weakest signal, most HD 16x9 programming is during prime time hours except for WTTD-DT (PBS), thats usually 24/7 depending upon the cameras used at the time of filming. Fox is 480P and broadcasts some programming in 480P widescreen and supposedly is going 720P at the end of 2004. Im 20 miles from the main towers. The local HD OTA channel quality is not quite as good as my satellite HDTV channels, but its damn close...

WPPB-DT 63.1 IND BOCA RATON FL
WPTV-DT 5.1 NBC WEST PALM BEACH FL
WPXM-DT 26.1 PAX MIAMI FL
WPXP-DT 36.1 PAX Lake Worth FL
WSCV-DT 52 TEL FORT LAUDERDALE FL
WPBT-DT 2.1 PBS MIAMI FL
WTVJ-DT 31.1 NBC Miami FL
WXEL-DT 27 PBS West Palm Beach FL
WLRN-DT 17.1 PBS Miami FL
WLTV-DT 24 UNI MIAMI FL
WFOR-DT 4.1 CBS Miami FL
WFLX-DT 29.1 FOX West Palm Beach FL
WBZL-DT 39.1 WB Miami FL
WHDT-DT 44 IND Miami FL LP DT
WBFS-DT 32.1 UPN MIAMI FL
WAMI-DT 47.1 TFA HOLLYWOOD FL
WSVN-DT 7.1 FOX Miami FL
WPLG-DT 10.1 ABC Miami FL
WFGC-DT 49 CTN PALM BEACH FL
WPEC-DT 12.1 CBS West Palm Beach FL

Station: Channel #: Network: City: Start Date: Miles From:

WACS-DT 8 PBS Dawson GA 08-04 23.1
WFXL-DT 12.1 FOX Albany GA 7.9
WALB-DT 10.1 NBC Albany GA 8.1
WSST-DT 51 IND Cordele GA TBD 32.6

That's my local digital channel list. Unfortunately though, I can't pick up either of the two currently broadcasting.

~Alan

Lexington, Ky Locals

WKYT-DT 27.1 CBS Lexington KY broadcasting HD on 27.1
WTVQ-DT 36.1 ABC Lexington KY broadcasting HD on 36.1
WKLE-DT 46.1 PBS Lexington KY broadcasting HD/WS on 46.4 at night
WUPX-DT 67.1 PAX Morehead KY no HD broadcasting 4 channels
WDKY-DT 4 FOX Danville KY passthrough SD very low power can't
pickup in Lexington(scheduled broadcast HD by Fall and
have a bigger tower by then too)
WLEX-DT 39 NBC Lexington KY still waiting construction permit(maybe up by
Olympics)

Have heard that some people in western Lexington can pick up Louisville stations at
night. I live on the eastern side and haven't been able to get a lock on them with my 6000.

Here in Walla Walla, WA, there is no OTA HD. KFFX-Fox says that they dont have the money to upgrade now, maybe in 5-7 years. KEPR-CBS says they dont ever plan on upgrading unless thier equipment breaks or are forced to and the KNDU-NBC and KVEW-ABC say they have plans but they are "long term". My only hope is that the SHIVA renewl will allow distant waivers for HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)