Telstar 12 - 15W

Status
Please reply by conversation.
dish goes down to 10 degrees, I need 15 degrees.
A few years ago I was able to get 1 tp,at a quality of 65 which is borderline viewable on a coolsat.
At that time I blamed it on dish size.
It may be a tree problem,even tho they have no leaves.

Last edited:
Years ago I played with an aiming program called sat antenna alignment(I think) that let you enter in obstacle info-trees,height,distance from dish and it would tell you if the obstacle blocked the signal.The old versions were free,I will have to dig that one up again.

I can reliably view on my Coolsat 7000 down to 25%. I guess they improved the box in later versions.

it's all relative.
The old coolsats were tweaked to show a higher initial quality.I get readings in the 90's that other receivers show 70's
I had a microyal that was buggy and would show a picture @15% quality until they fixed the display.
The openbox starts burping at 55% but tops out in the 70's

using dishpointer.com it looks like I may be able to move the dish to a different spot in the yard to try for it again.

...it looks like I may be able to move the dish to a different spot in the yard to try for it again.
Now you understand why I like using a temporary tower to hold the dish. I fully intend to move it about the yard until I can catch all possible satellites between 15W to 125W. At different times, I've seen 123W and 125W, just not in this current position. Trying to justify swapping my BlackBerry for an Iphone so I can use that real-time satellite viewing program to know the sweet spot in the yard is where I can peak through all the trees to view all satellites.

Now you understand why I like using a temporary tower to hold the dish. I fully intend to move it about the yard until I can catch all possible satellites between 15W to 125W.
Except last night we had a heavy wind and my dish got knocked over.
I didn't go out to survey the damage yet.

Like most RF signal meters in devices, the purpose of them is to give a relative reading rather than absolute reading. I must say for $40, this old Coolsat is doing a fine job. I can't wait to retire it for good behaviour.
And it shows what sat you are aimed at,unlike my new s10

Except last night we had a heavy wind and my dish got knocked over...
You have discovered why I own two dishes. The Ariza is the damaged one that was on the tower when it was blown over in a wind storm. I bought a new Digiwave dish and was planning to dedicate the Ariza to be fixed on a satellite I can't reach from the motorized location. In my avatar, you can see the guy ropes now in place, and you can almost see the 4 heavy concrete blocks at the tower base.

No dish damage here,but I finally noticed a neighbor across the street has a tree in my way for 15w.
The tree survived hurricane Irene,so I can't rely on natural remedies for that problem.

For a fixed dish, you should be able to find a line of sight somewhere on your property (or house wall/roof?) for a single satellite like 15W? It's so much easier than planning a motorized installation.
If it were all english channels I might make the effort,but not for 15w.
I tried hunting for other ku between 30w and 61w but I get conflicting data on what's up there lyngsat vs sathint.com

Status
Please reply by conversation.