Telstar 12 - 15W

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fetajr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 24, 2004
Hi there

I receive a pretty good signal, 88% on transponder 11806 V, I'm using a 3ft dish with universal LNB that I have to install upside down due to the low elevation of 15W.... i'm located outside of Toronto, Canada (town of Milton)

When I run the transponder scan, it seems like the only channels that come up are the ones that are not MPEG4/DVB-S2
ie: Alalam, IRINN

I used the Dreambox 500s built in satellite find tool. I noticed that 11806 V was pretty much the only transponder that gave me a lock at > 80% signal strength/quality, the rest of the transponders indicated an increase in strength (~65-70%) at this point, but none of them locked. I was wondering if this was because of my receiver, since DM500s is made for MPEG2/DVB, but most of the transponders on 15W are using MPEG4/DVB-S2.

Another variable in this was that I had a connector in between 2 coaxial cables (from lnb to receiver), the connector was a grounding block...its all I had at the time to connect the two cables...i wonder if the grounding block interfered with the signal integrity of MPEG4/DVB-S2 compressed data.

I'm trying to get my hands on a newer HD fta box (MPEG2/H.264/MPEG-4) to test this theory out. Would anyone be able to provide any insight on this? Which receiver do you use on Telstar12 - 15W to get Chilevision and from what I understand, some TuVes channels?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide more info on this.

an mpeg2 receiver will only get mpeg2.....not mpeg4

and a DVB-S receiver will only get DVB-S....not DVB-S2

if that is the question you are asking? :confused:

and a DVB-S receiver will only get DVB-S....not DVB-S2

if that is the question you are asking? :confused:

kind of. Would an MPEG2/DVB receiver (dreambox 500s) be able to identify a channel that is MPEG4?... i know it wont be able to show the content of that channel

no....an mpeg2 receiver will not be able to pick up any signal quality on an mpeg4 transponder....so it will not be able to scan anything from an mpeg4 transponder

You should also be able to receive TPAI (Angola), TV Pampa (Brazil), RTVGE (Equatorial Guinea). MSNBC seems to be gone. I can lock onto all of these here in the Halifax area with my Coolsat 7000 DVB-S MPEG2 box using a 1-metre dish at 20 degrees elevation with universal LNB, although you don't need a universal for any of these. A standard LNB for 11.7 to 12.2 GHz range is fine. We are outside the satellite footprint of transponders that require a universal LNB. You will not be able to lock onto MPEG4 (Chilevision) or DVB-S2 (TuVes) transponders. Anyway, TuVes is also encrypted which is another reason you won't be able to receive it. Finally, I'll bet you also wouldn't get Chilevision since although it is clear itself, according to lyngsat.com it is on the encrypted transponder 25 being used by TuVes and my experience is that means you won't be able to receive Chilevision. I could be wrong on this last point.

thanks for the quick feedback. It is now clear that I will need an MPEG4 receiver. I've read in other threads that Chilevision comes in clear for those that can get 15W

there is no such thing as mpeg 2 / mpeg 4 transponders. the difference is dvb-s vs dvb-s2. you can have an mpeg4 channel on a dvb-s transponder and you can have a mpeg 2 channel on a dvb-s2 transponder. the dvb-s only receiver will only get dvb-s transponders. A non sd (mpeg2) receiver will get signal on the meter for a dvb-s mpeg4 channel. I believe all dvb-s2 receivers have mpeg 4 capability, some dvb-s only receivers do mpeg 2 and 4. Make sure you buy a dvb-s2 receiver.

thanks for the quick feedback. It is now clear that I will need an MPEG4 receiver. I've read in other threads that Chilevision comes in clear for those that can get 15W

Not anymore. It was clear till a couple of months ago. Also, some Openboxes models doesn't recognize the new SR (45000) for the Tuves muxes at 11856 H and 11918 H. Bling Bling music is the only one open in this mux

Not anymore. It was clear till a couple of months ago. Also, some Openboxes models doesn't recognize the new SR (45000) for the Tuves muxes at 11856 H and 11918 H. Bling Bling music is the only one open in this mux

There are 9 channels ITC that my OpenBox can get including SR 45000. See screen shot below.

The TP that fetajr locked 11806 V 7595 is one of the few TP's on this bird that has a SR under 10000.

Your right about Chilevision as being scrambled at this time. (also SR 45000)

11-13-11_1915.jpg

A few years ago I was able to get 1 tp on 15w when there are no leaves on the trees.
I just tried again now and I can't even find the sat.
Using the coolsat 5000 with signal beep function to aim,no luck.
I have to verify elevation setting and try again before the rain hits.

an MPEG2 receiver depending on the model will log a MPEG4 channel fine...just wont play it
Coolsat 5000 logs them as radio channel
GeoSatPro logs them as TV but only audio is there

Sometimes it is nice to be on the edge of the civilized world. 15W is booming in with healthy quality on all transponders with a clear signal.

My signal is less than ideal (small oval dish)but I scan in 135 channels. 9 are ITC, what do you see with your strong signal?
I wish Chilevision would open up again, it was a cool ch. even though I don't speak the language.

... I scan in 135 channels. 9 are ITC, what do you see with your strong signal?
I wish Chilevision would open up again, it was a cool ch. even though I don't speak the language.
You must have a DVB-S2 receiver. I can only receive DVB-S on my Coolsat. I scan 7 TV channels and 8 radio channels all ITC. This agrees with lyngsat which is the most up-to-date chart for this satellite. I haven't seen Chilevision, but I enjoy watching Azteca on Galaxy 25 at 93.1W.

Wow! 15W. You lucky guys that do not have any trees. I would have to cut down about 400 yards of trees to see that sat. Don't think the house next would like that, or the next, or the next. Trees are nice for shade but sure a bummer for satellite fun. . . . . .

I won't rub it in that I can see down to 5 degrees elevation or lower to my east. But there's nothing there with a footprint that reaches North America on ku. However, at my current dish location, I can't see 123W or 125W; 121W is the furthest west I can catch. I have seen 123W and 125W from a different location on this property, but my neighbour complained when I had my tower on our property line. I have many trees too; that's why I need 200 feet of RG-6...anywhere near the house is very satellite unfriendly.

Added: Watching Angolan TV on 15W now. Equatorial Guinean TV is also kind of exotic.

I can only receive DVB-S on my Coolsat. I scan 7 TV channels and 8 radio channels all ITC. This agrees with lyngsat which is the most up-to-date chart for this satellite.
what tps are those?
Lyngsat also showed msnbc and irib ITC but I don't even get a signal on those.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)