This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Temporary location

Status
Please reply by conversation.

beas0536

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
Tn
Live in Tn. But bought a winter home in fl. I purchased a new dish on eBay (3lnb 18 x 20) and installed it. My plan was to bring one of my receivers with me and use it when I am here. I did not expect to keep my locals but thought I would get some type of network channels. I do not want to call direct and change anything because we will only be here short stays for now. Anyway to reprogram this one receiver?

any ideas?

First question - do you have an H25 receiver? If so it will not work with a non-SWM dish like the one you are trying to use.

If it is not an H25, is your home dish SWM (one cable from the dish)? If it is, you will have to configure your receiver for the new dish. Connect the receiver to the new dish, go into satellite setup, select "multiswitch" then the dish type (18x20 phase iii oval dish) and then it should work.

You understand you will not get HD signals with this dish, in fact there wasn't much point getting the oval dish, an 18in round dish would have done. HD would require you to get a slim line.

My home dish is a swm, my new dish is not. I brought with me a plain receiver, not hd or dvr,model is D12-100. I set it up here,reprogrammed to multi- switch, set it to satelites 101, 110, and 119. I get everything but my local channels. I just would like to get the network channels from anywhere. Abc east/west, NBC east/west and CBS east, west. So if when I bring down my hd dvr reciever it will not work because it is not slimline? Can I just purchase the network stuff if I am receiving locals on my account.

Last edited:

No, you can't get the networks when you are away from "home". You can't buy the east/west networks (FCC rules) and you will only get the locals for your service address.
You can call DirecTV to change your service address but usually only allowed to do this a couple of times a year (for "snowbirds")
Your HD receiver will work but will only receive SD channels.

Can you hook an antenna up to your TV ?
That would be one way to get OTA channels where ever your at ...

Or you could get a AM21 (D*'s OTA tuner, approx $50 and you own), hook that up to the recvr and hook an antenna up to that and get your OTA channels thru your D* guide. (Note, not sure if the D12 has the proper connections for the AM21, but would think it would, I would check first, sorry I can't remember which connection it uses, its been a long time since I set one up)

1st option would not integrate with the recvr.

No, the AM21 won't work with a D12. It will work with an HD receiver though, so if the OP is in a good area for ota reception that might be a good option.

Thanks Jimbo, I did connect an OTA antenna for locals, just afraid toggling from one input to another is sometimes confusing to someone visiting like my daughter. Looks like for now that is my only option.

Sorry for the delay, thanks for the advice. I have hooked up an OTA antenna. Probably my best option for now for locals.

Status
Please reply by conversation.