Terminology and location of by-gone satellites

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Desertnight

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
Up in the sky, out of the way
I need to know the definitions of "NETWORK" AND "OCS" and the purpose of each are. I did read every where before asking this question. These terms, of course, are on my dish setting screen.

Also, what is SOFTKEY and how is that supposed to work?

Also, anyone know the locations (degrees) of two old satellites: Spacenet 2 and Galaxy 6. I used to get analog channels off of these satellites several years ago.
My analog receiver does not tell me degrees. These two satellites are still programmed into my receiver. And if I knew for sure the degrees of these satellites, I may be able to locate the new satellites using your information.

Thanks.:D

I just found the location of the old Space Net 2 satellite -- 69 degrees and Galaxy 6 is 103.

Still need answers to my other questions. Thanks.

That was before 2 degree spacing...:)

I forget what OCS actually stands for but it means a bandstacked bandplan and is most often used as a setting for a Dish Network DISHPRO LNBF.

The network setting is used when scanning for specific network frequencies, again usually when searching in Dish Network or similar MUXes. If the NETWORK setting is on and a MUX is part of a bigger network, the other frequencies the network is using can sometimes be scanned in from information contained in the Network Information Table (NIT) which is transmitted in the data stream.

Last edited:
Also, anyone know the locations (degrees) of two old satellites: Spacenet 2 and Galaxy 6. I used to get analog channels off of these satellites several years ago.
My analog receiver does not tell me degrees. These two satellites are still programmed into my receiver. And if I knew for sure the degrees of these satellites, I may be able to locate the new satellites using your information.

I know you got your answer, but in case there are other similar questions re where sats were, I try to keep a chart at :

TVRO SAT HISTORY

I posted a slightly different URL in another recent thread, but that URL will go away in a couple months, plus I've made a couple additions/corrections.

But from the chart, you can see for example, that Galaxy 6 was also located at 74 deg for a while.

Thanks, BJ. For the satellite location question, you came through again!!!:up:hatsoff:

The location of Galaxy 6 at 74 degrees makes sense for the time frame when our satellite equipment was purchased way back when; and the order in which the satellite is on our satellite list. Using your chart will make the locations of other satellite positions from "way back" easier to program the new ones, as needed.

Thanks to all the other responses about terminology. Ya'll made the explanations clear and easy to understand. :):exclamati

thanks
The data from the 90's on the chart is from an old publication called the Westsat charts that I used to get. It was a very nice publication that listed not only video channels, but also FM^2 and SCPC audio stuff. One of the issues in the 90's had a commemorative issue included from 1981. (I didn't have a dish in 81.) Most of the info from this decade comes from Lyngsat and similar places. The info in the 1987 column is from a book I bought then, and I just noticed that it has one or two errors (ie sats that didn't go up as scheduled), but I'll fix that. I wish I had saved the charts from the old Orbit magazines.
I mainly started putting the chart together to visualize the changes caused by the shift from 3 to 2 deg spacing, which mainly confused things out in the 131-139 area. The one thing I was kind of sloppy about is that I didn't indicate the difference between new sats and name changes. Like T5, IA5, and G25 are all the same sat, as are GE3 and AMC3, etc. I was also sloppy about differentiating between C and Ku sats at the same longitude that are different sats, vs ones that are actually the same sat. Someday I'll clean that up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Sidebar