Terrible SD Picture Quality -- new subscriber question

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Guinness???????

i wouldn't drink that bilge water if i was dehydrated and stranded in the middle of the Mojave desert in august.:devil:

same goes for Killians:D

I personally have just experienced a SD picture quality drop over the past week.
Everything was fine the last couple weeks- my PQ on all my TV's were sharp and vibrant with no background pixel blurring, true DVD quality, like it is supposed to be...now it is dull and flat with heavy background pixelling.
I checked and rechecked all my s-video wires and components, they are fine.
I called Dtv to let them know I am experiencing an issue, and with the knowledge I have about Dtv, ( from past experiences (I moved alot) I asked about some things and the rep was super excited to tell me that 25-30 channels were reciently added to the lineup -within the past week.
Hmmmmm. Coincedence? I think not.
I believe it is the overcompression limit they are tring to push.
This is exactly why I refuse to do any HD yet- get the regular system perfected first before you go mucking around with extra extras.
Plus, If I'm being billed as an individual customer, which I am, don't kill my PQ because larry jimo around the corner wants those 20 extra 1970's game show channels. That should affect his TV alone..not me too.
I agree w/ dragon's Guinness comment, but Sin ce I can no longer find Red Wolf, I'm a Killian's guy. I have left and not returned to resturants that don't carry it or stopped serving it.
I don't substitute.
The reason you can find all the Bud beers everywhere is not on popularity, it is basically because it is cheap... in every sense.

Last edited:
Well heres what I got. The Bitrates dropped below 5 MBps at these points in the video. Obviously D* is sucking every available bit they can out of the HD. And this was an upconvert to boot.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Harvard Man1-.ty.bmp
    989.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Harvard Man2-.ty.bmp
    989.6 KB · Views: 100
  • Harvard Man3-.ty.bmp
    989.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Harvard Man4-.ty.bmp
    989.6 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
lol, nice job vurbano.

threads like these pop up every month or so and invariably get locked because the same sides show up and talk past each other. no sir, we can't have any cognative dissonance in the D* forum.

...and then there's all the tedious comments and questions about equipment. Whats your IRD? What cables are you using? Have you optimized your settings? Are you using incandecent or florescent lighting? HD TVs don't show SD very well. Blah blah blah...

The truth is much simpler than equipment problems: D* isn't currently positioned to deliver superior picture quality across all its channel offerings.

There. Was that so hard to admit?

colebert said:
lol, nice job vurbano.

threads like these pop up every month or so and invariably get locked because the same sides show up and talk past each other. no sir, we can't have any cognative dissonance in the D* forum.

...and then there's all the tedious comments and questions about equipment. Whats your IRD? What cables are you using? Have you optimized your settings? Are you using incandecent or florescent lighting? HD TVs don't show SD very well. Blah blah blah...

The truth is much simpler than equipment problems: D* isn't currently positioned to deliver superior picture quality across all its channel offerings.

There. Was that so hard to admit?

The SD is even worse in some regards. My son asked me to throw Fat Albert in SD on a DVD for him. When I looked at the file size I thought to myself "my god its only 1.5 GB, Im not going to waste a DVD on that crap". So instead, I bought him the retail DVD.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yup, it isn't just a rumor that it is different in certain areas.
The only question I have for colebert- What is your signal strength? That is an important factor.
My PQ isn't nearly as bad as colebert's, and i'm having a tech come out and look at everything so I have proof that my stuff is good...and so it is logged in my file to throw the ball back at Dtv.
I know it sucks, but this is the game you have to play.. of course they will try to blame all of your equipment first, but when it is proven that it is them, they'll have to be forced to do something.
This is the thing that annoys me about the billing and contract, if you expect a monthly bill, I expect a consistancy in the service that is provided, that being the high PQ I was promised. No changes can be made to either side of the contract without consent from both parties. This is the part many companies are forgetting. Contracts work both ways.

save that DVD for proof.

i only use D* in the fall&winter (NFL:ST mostly.) Rest of the year I suspend my account and hop on the comcast wagon. I simply couldn't stomach how bad NFL Network looked on D* compared to Comscat.

Good thing about having D* is it qualified me for the dish-buyback program @ 39.95/mo. So I get to keep D* for the NFL, but get Comcast's (somewhat) higher PQ the rest of the year.

So I guess signal strength is @ 0 right now since the receiver is sitting in my closet. :)

Last edited:
SHO-HD today looks worse than regular SD. Grainny and soft. I think we need a class action since we are paying for "high-definition" and receiving this crappy HD-LITE. What the heck is FCC doing that doesn't protect the viewers against this kind of practice? We Americans have the worst possible picture . We don't need 500 different channels, we need the good ones to show full high definition.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts