Terrible streaming speeds.

Character Zero

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
For some reason when I try to stream anything On Demand, me speeds are terrible. There was something that was displaying my speed as 10mbps but then when I started the stream it drops to 1-2 mbps. Its terrible and struggles to keep up. Other PCs on the router are just fine. Is it an issue with the Dish server not being able to serve the video at a high enough speed?

I would try to use the "watch later" option. Let the file d/l completely and you shouldn't have an issue.

Hopefully you aren't using satellite internet as you will eat up your data allowance very quickly.

Yeah thats what I do but sometimes when I watch it back the quality is not great. Its like it recorded it as if it was being streamed.

What are the actual speeds you are "paying for" so to speak.

I'm kind of grasping at straws at this point in all honesty. I don't use the On Demand feature a whole bunch, but when I do I've never experienced any problems with PQ. I've got 2HWS and Comcast internet with HIC providing connectivity. My d/l speeds peak at about 58 on speedtest so I've got plenty of bandwidth.

So my setup is I have a 5Ghz bridge that has 4 ports. I have a laptop, ps4 and Hopper plugged into the bridge. I can run speedtest on my laptop and get 10-12 mbps consistently. When I was browsing the On Demand stuff there was a banner at the top that displayed my speed ont he Hopper and it was 10 mbps. Then right when I started it dropped down to 1.5 mbps. And when I do choose the option to Watch Later it doesn't improve quality. Its like it records the stream. So if it would Stream at 1.5 mbps, thats the quality of the recording.

10-12 should be plenty. 1.5 maybe not so much. Is this DSL/cable? Online gaming is seamless? I used to stream VUDU HDX when I had 12 meg DSL.

Maybe it's the bridge? Is there a way you could integrate an HIC where the router is at? I really don't think it's Dish related.

I think I'm running out of usefulness here. Maybe somebody else smarter will weigh in.

Yeah I am convinced its not the Bridge. I have done speed tests on both the Laptop and PS4 and both give speeds of 12mbps+. The strange thing was the Hopper showing that high speed but then dropping when the streaming started. Its like my connection to the Dish servers is not great. Or my Hopper has an issue streaming.

The strange thing was the Hopper showing that high speed but then dropping when the streaming started. Its like my connection to the Dish servers is not great.

I suppose it's possible that there's a bad connection somewhere between you and Dish, or even that someone is deliberately interfering with the priority of Dish's traffic.

My biggest complaint, since my internet speed is poor anyway, is what you said about how recording the entire show before watching it doesn't make any difference in the quality. It makes no sense to have the "watch later" option if it's going to give you the same quality as "watch now". But did you know that there are some people in this forum who say that they DO get full quality if they select "watch later"? Nobody, as far as I know, has ever figured out why!

Yeah its got to be some issue with the streaming. Maybe my ISP is doing it (they are cable....). Anyway its fine for kids stuff, but kind of sucks that I have the ability to get HD but the streaming won't get there. I know the connection to the Hopper is fine as it can stream 8 mbps to a laptop on the same network for Sling. So the connection to the router is solid. And using Speedtest I know my internet speeds are 10mbps+. So there is something funny going on. Oh well..

Yeah its got to be some issue with the streaming. Maybe my ISP is doing it (they are cable....). Anyway its fine for kids stuff, but kind of sucks that I have the ability to get HD but the streaming won't get there. I know the connection to the Hopper is fine as it can stream 8 mbps to a laptop on the same network for Sling. So the connection to the router is solid. And using Speedtest I know my internet speeds are 10mbps+. So there is something funny going on. Oh well..
I use it a lot with watch later, not because I have to (30mbs down) picture is as it should be. HD is HD.

So I thought it might be that I start it as streaming but then stop it to watch later and since I started streaming ti would just keep downloading that way. Then that could explain the crappy picture. But I did an experiment where I chose "Watch Later" from the start and I still had a subpar picture. Maybe its my Hopper.

So I thought it might be that I start it as streaming but then stop it to watch later and since I started streaming ti would just keep downloading that way. Then that could explain the crappy picture. But I did an experiment where I chose "Watch Later" from the start and I still had a subpar picture. Maybe its my Hopper.

Doubt it's your hopper. I have the same troubles as you and the problem seems to be with my isp. Still working on trying to get them out to correct it. It could have something to do with just having internet only from the cable company. They of course claim it does not.

Really irritating though. You select something on demand and it shows streaming at 11 our so and then It drops like a stone to a snail's pace. Resulting in a movie that goes in and out of hd.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Doubt it's your hopper. I have the same troubles as you and the problem seems to be with my isp. Still working on trying to get them out to correct it. It could have something to do with just having internet only from the cable company. They of course claim it does not.

Really irritating though. You select something on demand and it shows streaming at 11 our so and then It drops like a stone to a snail's pace. Resulting in a movie that goes in and out of hd.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Yes that is exactly my experience!

I have no doubt that the problem is on Dish's end. I can stream via the same internet connection with my Roku, BD player, or smart TV with zero issues.

When I was browsing the On Demand stuff there was a banner at the top that displayed my speed ont he Hopper and it was 10 mbps. Then right when I started it dropped down to 1.5 mbps.
Is this a Hopper with Sling ? I don't see anything like that when I look at the OnDemand stuff.

Is this a Hopper with Sling ? I don't see anything like that when I look at the OnDemand stuff.

Yeah it's there in the rental status screen in hws. If you select watch now and then the info button during viewing it will show at the top of the screen. Mine went up very briefly to 23 and is sitting consistently around 11. No buffering or PQ issues in an hd show.

I don't think it's on Dishes end unless it's one specific event. I think it has to do with the ISP or network, other users, connection type, ISP bandwidth when other customers are during heavy usage times etc.

I think my ISP, Time Warner, would throttle Netflix before they'd throttle Dish. Yes, Dish is a more direct competitor to TWC but I'm thinking Dish's broadband offerings don't get much attention from TWC.

I haven't read throttling stories from Cox or ATT, but there's lots of speculation about Comcast throttling Netflix.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts