This billing practice doesn't seem right

ces1948

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
I don't think I should have to pay for something I don't get and wait for a later credit. Here's the situation. I'm in the third month of the "free for 3 months hbo, cinemax etc" that new customers get. My 3 months is up March 5th. About two weeks ago I received notice that my promo's were ending and if I didn't want to keep them I needed to go to a provided link, I opted out of all promos as of the bill date of March 5th. About 2 days ago I received a copy of my March statement and saw I was being billed for the promo's resulting in a bill approx $60 more than it should be. The explanation that accompanied the bill stated that if I had opted out of the promo's I should go ahead and pay the full amount anyway and I would receive a credit for the excess amount the following month. I realize that it will work itself out over two billings but the problem is it will create a hardship for me to come up with the extra $60 even though my bill will be that much less the following month. I only have so much $ available each month and as I said I don't think I should have to pay for services not received.
Has anyone else run across this and do you know if Dish will work with the customer to help avoid these extra charges?
Thanks

I always pay the amount that I believe I owe and let the credits balance out later. If someone tacks on a late charge, I convince them to remove it.
doesnt matter who it is, Dish, Verizon, electric company, etc.

I'm guessing March 5th when you asked to have promos end, it was into the next billing cycle?

I was directed to go to mydish.com/myoffers and either indicate whether I wanted the promos continued past 03/05 or not. I indicated that I did not want to continue. My billing cycle ends on 03/04 so I do not see how I directed them to continue the HBO etc beyond the promo period. It seems to me that my billing cycle was established by my service start date so if I indicate to them that I do not want the services continued past the initial 3 months free I don't see how I would be going into the 4th month.

Here is a line from Dish's web page about billing.
We send your bill 15 days before the start of each bill period. You may see prorated charges for services that cover the remainder of your existing bill period.
So if you called after the bill is generated, that's why it is still showing up. Next month you will get the credit.

I couldn't tell if you are on auto pay or not. If not just call & get the actual amount you owe & pay that.

This is a frequent occurrence with new customers & the 90 day free movies. I think the only way to avoid it is to opt out altogether or cancel around 60 days or less.

It's not too bad if you know about it upfront & are expecting it. Most of the time people don't know & has them feeling duped from the get go. This is something dish should address & fix. There is no sense ticking off a customer in the 1st couple months, they can at least wait for a year to do that. :rolleyes:

Yes I am on autopay. Can you suggest the best way to handle that? Thanks.

I couldn't tell if you are on auto pay or not. If not just call & get the actual amount you owe & pay that.

This is a frequent occurrence with new customers & the 90 day free movies. I think the only way to avoid it is to opt out altogether or cancel around 60 days or less.

It's not too bad if you know about it upfront & are expecting it. Most of the time people don't know & has them feeling duped from the get go. This is something dish should address & fix. There is no sense ticking off a customer in the 1st couple months, they can at least wait for a year to do that. :rolleyes:

You should get with DIRT & let them help you.

I'm not certain on this, but if you go ahead & pay the actual amount you owe with a manual payment online it may cancel the auto payment for this billing cycle.

Again you should contact DIRT & let them help. I'm pretty certain they can help you easily resolve it.

I'm not certain on this, but if you go ahead & pay the actual amount you owe with a manual payment online it may cancel the auto payment for this billing cycle.

Again you should contact DIRT & let them help. I'm pretty certain they can help you easily resolve it.

Just like I suggested on the post beneath his original one....

Sorry, didn't mean my post to offend, actually your post #11 was very helpful as well as the suggestion to contact "dirt"

No offense taken.

My main reason to respond was to point out that this is a frequent problem with new customers. You just happen to be 1 of the few to bring it to light on here.

Dish should fix this.

Yes I am on autopay. Can you suggest the best way to handle that? Thanks.

It will handle itself, but you can check online to see that it has. Not using your specific info, but in general, the way it works, the credit for removing them will be applied about a day or two after the new cycle starts, and before the autopay goes through. The autopay will go through for the correct amount.

Hypothetical example

Customer is installed in 12/15/13. Billing cycle will run from the 15th of the month to the 14th of the next month. Bill is generated on the 5th for the period running from the 15th to the following 14th. The bill is due 20 days after generation, which will be the 25th.

The premiums are free until March 15th, 2014. You opt out online to have the premiums end on the last day of the free 3 months. The bill is generated on March 5th, for the period from March 15th through April 14th. That bill still shows the premiums on there, and has two lines, one shows HBO/Sho/Max/Starz for $45, and the BB at Home for $10. Yes, you turned them off, but technically, they're still on at the time of the bill. You get the bill for the larger amount. What will happen is that the premiums will turn off on the 3 month anniversary, and a day or two later, the credits for $45 and $10 will apply to the account. When the autopay goes through on March 25th, it will be for the lesser, correct amount.

If not sure, check the total balance online and see. The bill balance will still show the larger amount (say, $100.99), but the total balance will show the updated balance (say, $45.99). The autopay will automatically go through for the actual balance. No need to call and talk to a CSR, or even talk to DIRT. This is the way the system is supposed to work (as imperfect as many may feel it is), and there is no amount of raising heck that will change it. Let it work, and if you get overcharged, THEN you have a reason to call in or contact DIRT.

I know people don't like this system, but it is what it is. Raising heck with a CSR or even DIRT is not going to change it.

No resolution necessary. The system is working as it is designed. DIRT cannot change that. As others have said, the credits will apply after the new cycle starts, but before the autopay goes through. The original poster will see his actual autopay go through for the lesser amount, the one that is $55 less than the cost shown on the bill. (and perhaps even a little more less, if credits are applied to taxes, if they're applicable at his location).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)