Test Channels 9300 & 9301 should stay on ! *Update: They are up now!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I really wish you'd move to a fios forum or just get banned. You are obviously anti D* and never offer anything to a conversation.

Scott, it may not be a test but the NatGeo PQ is NICE!

Not everything I say is intended as a criticism of directv. FIOS is superior but its not perfect by any means.

If upconverts are so bad then why do folks go and rush out to buy upconverting DVD players and say how much better the PQ looks? I'd take upconverted SD on a HD channel any day over not having anything besides an overcompress/downrezed SD channel on D* or E*.

The upconverts look better to me than SD. When I had Dish and they added TLC and Disc, I ALWAYS watched the upconverted version over the SD version.

If upconverts are so bad then why do folks go and rush out to buy upconverting DVD players and say how much better the PQ looks? I'd take upconverted SD on a HD channel any day over not having anything besides an overcompress/downrezed SD channel on D* or E*.

Um, unlike most of the upconverted programs on these channels, dvds are usually at least at native widescreen 480p, so they look better without any conversions.

Um, unlike most of the upconverted programs on these channels, dvds are usually at least at native 480p, so they look better without any conversions.

So what resolution are the networks using when then first uplink the signal that D* and E* are using and can you please provide links to back up your answer?

Everything working great here 20+ units and only problem is a code 721 on the dealer unit at the store for 9300 & 9301.

498 started working around 3:30pm est on store unit HR20-700.

Some units needed a reset to get 9300 & 9301.

Matt :)

So what resolution are the networks using when then first uplink the signal that D* and E* are using and can you please provide links to back up your answer?

Just search google or any forums that talk about hd, it's well known most programs that are upconverted were originally standard definition.

Not everything I say is intended as a criticism of directv. FIOS is superior but its not perfect by any means.

Tell me what purpose it serves, coming here and pushing a product that no one outside of a few very small geographic areas can get?

D* and E* are both national providers, so it's a fair comparison, and at least with Cable there are large areas where ANYONE that lives there can get it.

I have heard a lot of good things about FIOS, but the fact remains that it's availability is extremely limited, so trying to come over here and convince us it's better just doesn't make any sense.

Tell me what purpose it serves, coming here and pushing a product that no one outside of a few very small geographic areas can get?

D* and E* are both national providers, so it's a fair comparison, and at least with Cable there are large areas where ANYONE that lives there can get it.

I have heard a lot of good things about FIOS, but the fact remains that it's availability is extremely limited, so trying to come over here and convince us it's better just doesn't make any sense.

I'm not the one that usually brings Fios into the discussion.

I don't see your comparison with cable. Fios coverage areas are very typical of what other cable companies in their regions cover. Of course a provider like cox has many divisions around the country like cox new england etc but they differ so much in pricing, quality, and channels you can't really consider them the same.

I really wish you'd move to a fios forum or just get banned. You are obviously anti D* and never offer anything to a conversation.

Scott, it may not be a test but the NatGeo PQ is NICE!

You probably won't see HD shot shows on DiscoveryHD until tonight when Man VS Wild comes on.

As you've noticed, a few of the shows on Nat Geo are cooking at 720p. Still not the best HD due to the hand helds but it's better than washed out looking SD, eh?

You probably won't see HD shot shows on DiscoveryHD until tonight when Man VS Wild comes on.

As you've noticed, a few of the shows on Nat Geo are cooking at 720p. Still not the best HD due to the hand helds but it's better than washed out looking SD, eh?

Im very happy with the NatGEo 720p, looks as crisp as Comcast.

I hope the channels stay on long enough for me to catch a 1080i program on Disc. Very exciting time, especially if they do go full rez.

Anyone have the ability to see resolution and bitrate on these test channels?

Just search google or any forums that talk about hd, it's well known most programs that are upconverted were originally standard definition.

And standard dedinition is both 480i and 480p so again please provide links that say content providers use only 480i within their inhouse network and that's what they provide to D* and E*. Not saying they do, not saying they don't, but you are saying that it's only 480i, you made the statement, back it up please.

Im very happy with the NatGEo 720p, looks as crisp as Comcast.

I hope the channels stay on long enough for me to catch a 1080i program on Disc. Very exciting time, especially if they do go full rez.

Anyone have the ability to see resolution and bitrate on these test channels?

I have never seen a network switch from one resolution to another. Does anyone know what resolution NG shows on other providers. I thought that the sneak previews were 1080i , but I could be mistaken. Or is D just experimenting with 720p?

I have never seen a network switch from one resolution to another. Does anyone know what resolution NG shows on other providers. I thought that the sneak previews were 1080i , but I could be mistaken. Or is D just experimenting with 720p?

NatGeo is owned by Fox which is 720p.

Fox, NatGeo, ABC, ESPN's 720p

I think all others are 1080i

No really? I thought that upconverted programs came from grapes. Of course upconverted programs come from their standard defination versions.

Thank you captain obvious. :D

Upconverting SD TV is not the same as taking a SD DVD and popping it into an upconverting DVD player. There is a difference there on what data is stored on the DVD itself.

And standard dedinition is both 480i and 480p so again please provide links that say content providers use only 480i within their inhouse network and that's what they provide to D* and E*. Not saying they do, not saying they don't, but you are saying that it's only 480i, you made the statement, back it up please.
TNTHD sure has a lot of upconverting and stretching going on.

Status
Please reply by conversation.