Test receiver without card?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mini1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
Is there a way to test receivers without an access card? I just bought 2 receivers (yes they are owned, not leased) and I may be reselling one and activating the other. I need to make sure they both work, but I don't want to buy a card because I don't know which one I'm going to keep yet. Are there test channels? What happens if I hook up a D12 onto a MRV network without an adapter, just to test it?

Thanks!

Without a card they will not show even the test card channel but will show all the installation menus etc. If you can find a card never activated or married to the receiver from someone you should show the test card channel, its in Fixed Key.

Without a card they will not show even the test card channel but will show all the installation menus etc. If you can find a card never activated or married to the receiver from someone you should show the test card channel, its in Fixed Key.

Who would have a non-activated card? Are you sure a card from one of my activated receivers wouldn't at least get me the test channel? I know it won't do anything else and otherwise can't be used.

Who would have a non-activated card? Are you sure a card from one of my activated receivers wouldn't at least get me the test channel? I know it won't do anything else and otherwise can't be used.

IF you put a card from another box in it, you'll get the "Wrong Access Card" message.

You can buy a card and try it in each receiver. When you get the card, tune to channel 100 or 200. If you see a picture and here audio, then the receiver is probably good. Don't call D* until you are sure of which receiver you will keep.

Sent from my HTC EVO using SatelliteGuys

Sometimes you can find someone with 4 receivers that didn't activate one. I have a few of those cards here I got from friends. If you put a card thats married to a stb already it wont work.

Sometimes you can find someone with 4 receivers that didn't activate one. I have a few of those cards here I got from friends. If you put a card thats married to a stb already it wont work.

You'll need to make sure it's the correct generation card...

What does it look like ?

You can buy a card and try it in each receiver. When you get the card, tune to channel 100 or 200. If you see a picture and here audio, then the receiver is probably good. Don't call D* until you are sure of which receiver you will keep.

When I buy the card, won't they ask for the RID # and marry the card to the receiver or is that done at activation? or can I just buy a card, pay for it and tell them where to send it, and then I can use it when I want?

mini1 said:
When I buy the card, won't they ask for the RID # and marry the card to the receiver or is that done at activation? or can I just buy a card, pay for it and tell them where to send it, and then I can use it when I want?

When D* sends you the card, it is not programmed. It is not married to a receiver. The only channels that can be viewed are channels 100 and 200, the rest are blacked out. It is only when you call and give them the card # and the receiver #, do they become married and can't be used in another receiver.

The card cost $20 and will be charged on your next bill after it is activated. You can also request the card to be sent to a certain address. And you will have a set amount of days to activate the card. If you do not active the card within that set amount of days, it will become useless and another one have to be sent out at a cost of $20 more.

Last edited:
When D* sends you the card, it is not programmed. It is not married to a receiver. The only channels that can be viewed are channels 100 and 200, the rest are blacked out. It is only when you call and give them the card # and the receiver #, do they become married and can't be used in another receiver.

The card cost $20 and will be charged on your next bill after it is activated. You can also request the card to be sent to a certain address. And you will have a set amount of days to activate the card. If you do not active the card within that set amount of days, it will become useless and another one have to be sent out at a cost of $20 more.

I believe it's 7 days.
It will say how long on the card wrapper when you get it.

..and in the past I have had the $20 credited back to me once the card was activated past 14 - 21 days I think it was.

I don't know if P 4's will work anymore or not..... Hmmm.

P4's still will fire up receivers. Anything with the advanced chip layer design works. The Hu was the last card of the old generation. The P3 (Hu) data stream still is there but will not activate fixed key video. It's only is there to cause a 745 message to any hu cards that anyone may try to mess with. Theres more I could say about cards and how they work but it's best I don't.;)

Last edited:
P4's still will fire up receivers. Anything with the advanced chip layer design works. The Hu was the last card of the old generation. The P3 (Hu) data stream still is there but will not activate fixed key video. It's only is there to cause a 745 message to any hu cards that anyone may try to mess with. Theres more I could say about cards and how they work but it's best I don't.;)

I find it interesting that they still have P4 cards out there working ...
I suppose they are in the very old boxes.
I too understand the way the cards work, as you say, we wont go there.

I find it interesting that they still have P4 cards out there working ...
I suppose they are in the very old boxes.

I can take a p4 card married to another box and put it in an old receiver and It will show the barker channels. Can't do that with the newer boxes

I too understand the way the cards work, as you say, we wont go there.

:eek: :D

Attached are cards that will work.

Attachments

• CARDS.jpg
    CARDS.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 1,992
Last edited:
..and in the past I have had the $20 credited back to me once the card was activated past 14 - 21 days I think it was.

That is interesting. I guess I'll have to call in and see what the policy is. I don't know exactly when I'll need to activate the receiver, because it for a guest bedroom, so I don't want to have only 7 days to activate the card. What if I get the card, use it to test with, then need to activate it like 3 or 4 months later. They will have to send a new card, but will refund the initial card fee?

what exactly are you testing with DBS? just activate the card and be done with it.

I just need to see if two receivers work or don't work. I will be keeping one, and selling the other. I will not be activating the one I'm keeping for a month or two.

I just need to see if two receivers work or don't work. I will be keeping one, and selling the other. I will not be activating the one I'm keeping for a month or two.

If you order a card from Direct before you activate it you will be able to put it in either box and get channel 100. This will give you some indication of the receivers condition as far as working.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)