Tested DVI out *again*...

GeneWildershair

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 28, 2004
Bay Area
I have been using components for some time now, as the DVI picture became unstable (for me) a while back, (black/white outs etc...). Anyways yesterday I decided to give DVI another try. I calibrated another setting on my tv to get the picture just right for DVI, and I was pleasantly surprised by how much better I got it to look over the components! Everything was sharp, colorful, it had an over all smoother, richer look that I was quite happy with it... until I saw the black screens again! It seems that with *all* the premium HD movie channels, and espnhd I get these black outs every couple of minutes? Sometimes a little longer in between each black out, but it still happens too often to be able to enjoy a movie, or sporting event on these channels! It's odd that the exclusive VOOM channels do not suffer from this strange black out problem? Anyone else see this with DVI? I know Sean, and some others mentioned they saw this last week during a baseball game on espnhd, but is anyone experiencing it on, and not on the channels mentioned? It's such a shame, as I'd like to go back to using the DVI cable, as it did make VOOM look even better on my set. :(

I saw a lot of blackouts and audio dropouts on 201 and 202 tonight. I was trying to watch Gods and Generals and I finally gave up. I called Voom and they said they were working on it and that it wasn't my system. Could it be a coincidence that their problems started at the same time you tried DVI again? I also noticed the picture on most other channels including DHD looked soft again today/tonight. I really wish Voom would stop messing with things.

Bob

ram1220 said:
I saw a lot of blackouts and audio dropouts on 201 and 202 tonight. I was trying to watch Gods and Generals and I finally gave up. I called Voom and they said they were working on it and that it wasn't my system. Could it be a coincidence that their problems started at the same time you tried DVI again? I also noticed the picture on most other channels including DHD looked soft again today/tonight. I really wish Voom would stop messing with things.

Bob

I'm noticeing the black outs on all the channels I mentioned, and yes I saw what you were talking about with Gods and Generals. The black outs were bad enough, but the audio drops made it even that much harder to tolerate.

I think V* been buggy all day. 201 and 202 were bad. ESPN was bad. Lots of tweaking going on I guess. The good news I guess is that these changes usually have preceded new channels. PPV anyone? Just a guess.

I can't say I checked those channels out today, but my PJ has been hooked up with DVI since day one and except for that period a few weeks back when there were general V* issues, DVI has been flawless.

I agree on a competent calibration required for DVI to see it in it's best. I've had outside help with calibrating mine from an owner of the same PJ who has Colorfacts on hand.

Maybe the HDCP flag is on for the pay channels and your set is having trouble w/it?

DVI has also been flawless for me.

A number of Sony HDTVs are known to have HDCP implementation issues (discussed on AVS Forum), and VOOM really needs to develop a workaround, if that's possible.

Yeah my Sammy has no problems with DVI HDCP. I would use it but my service menu doesnt seem to let me make overscan adjustments for DVI and it does for component. ANd theres no way im paying 2-300 dollars for some geek to come play with my set for an hour.

Ken F said:

A number of Sony HDTVs are known to have HDCP implementation issues (discussed on AVS Forum), and VOOM really needs to develop a workaround, if that's possible.

If that is the case, that really sucks for me! Sean if your out there, what tv were you using when you were seeing the black outs too? And for all of you that do see them, please post what brand of tv you are watching it on. I'd be interested to see if it really is a "Sony problem", as my tv does claim to be HDCP compliant. :confused:

GeneWildershair said:
If that is the case, that really sucks for me! Sean if your out there, what tv were you using when you were seeing the black outs too? And for all of you that do see them, please post what brand of tv you are watching it on. I'd be interested to see if it really is a "Sony problem", as my tv does claim to be HDCP compliant. :confused:
I saw some strange things on Voom yesterday. Wilt is probably adding another channel for us. I dont think theres anything wrong with your set. It will pass. AS long as the HD channel numbers keep going up im happy.

GeneWildershair said:

Yeah I saw it on my Sony GWII as well. It just really started recently (last week). It started on ESPN but it has moved to other premium channels like HBO. I have my Sony GWII through DVI at 720p.

JVC 36" - no black outs (anymore)

I've got a JVC 36" I'Art CRT. I've been using DVI since day one and minus some problems several weeks ago I've not had the black-outs or audio problem that you guys report. I do still get the audio drop when using the menu surf to a new channel but that is rectified by channeling up and back. & to think, I was just being cheap when I bought my JVC...

Ken F said:

I'm in trouble then since I have a Sony Plasma KE42TS2 and Sony Tube KV36XBR400. I'd better research this a little more before signing up.

Gene, I have a sony as well, and I have been having LOTS of blackouts for the last several days... Up until then, I was DVI and NO problems... Im also having some other problems but those will be posted in a whine thread shortly ;)

Comparison

I've got a Pioneer Elite-Pro 730i and on it, both component and DVI work fine. Unfortunately, I've found that I see no difference between the two.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)