Testing 6 foot solid panel dish need a quality actuator

Status
Please reply by conversation.

walrus1957

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
40 miles west of Omaha
Just purchased a 6 foot solid panel dish and V-box mover, now I need an actuator arm. I want to be able to move the dish at least +/- 45 degrees from center to cover satellites I can view from my back yard. Does anyone have a recomendation for a quality brand of actuator and the size required?

Hi Walrus! I have a 24" actuator on my 6' and I move it 120° no problem. Inexpensive from Galaxy Marketing(site sponser).

Hi Magic! Galaxy Marketing is where I purchased the dish, they are currently out of the actuators and sounds like it will be a month or two before they have any in stock. Really do not want to wait to long to set up this dish as I have promised to sell off my minibud and don't want to be with out C band broadcast for TV. That would force me to watch DN with the wife in her craft room (scrapbooking), and the only thing she watches; Nancy Grace and Crime TV.

Still will have my KU dish, might have to suffer with History/Biography for awhile.

Walrus, I owe you one. I have a 12' Uniden Mesh hiding in my shed for the last 3-4 years. 24" Uniden actuator. I'll test the actuator with a spare VBox I have at work. If it works it's on it's way to you. I still have your address.

Thanks Magic! I will wait for the actuator.

I wanted to write a review for this dish, V-box and actuator, it would have been nice to test the PMA24 at the same time, as Galaxy Marketing is offereing the special price for the setup. But OH WELL, if they are out of stock there is nothing I can do about it. But doubt the brand of actuator would make any difference, the dish doesn't wiegh that much.

When I do the review I want to make a direct comparison between a 1.2 meter offset dish for C band reception and the solid panel 6 foot dish. That way anyone contemplating upgrading from a minibud would have solid test results to compare from. I think I will provide channel lists from my Openbox receiver, one scanned using the 1.2 meter dish and a second using the 6 foot prime focus dish and also include signal levels for specific channels. I spent some time already creating a new satellite list using the HD editor which includes all KU and C band satellites and all the tansponders for birds between 30W through 139W. Hate that editor takes to much time to edit everything, not bad if all your trying to do is add a few channels or transponders, but takes forever if your trying to reformat for every satellite. And oh ya- don't try and add more than 63 sats to the list, the Openbox does not like that, found out the hard way.

For a review and testimonial of the dish I think I will take the time and do a step by step setup of the dish and programing of the V-box and include some great photos along the way, starting from the opening of the dish carton. I might even produce a setup video if anyone is interested, just need a little encuragement from members here. I have already produced a terrific minibud DVD, would have loved to share that here on this forum but would first have to get written permission from everyone that is included on the video before any public release. AcWxRadar and a few other members know what I am refering to!

I tested the actuator, sensor and motor are operational. It is now boxed and waiting pickup on UPS :)

Thanks Magic! I will wait for the actuator.

I wanted to write a review for this dish, V-box and actuator, it would have been nice to test the PMA24 at the same time, as Galaxy Marketing is offereing the special price for the setup. But OH WELL, if they are out of stock there is nothing I can do about it. But doubt the brand of actuator would make any difference, the dish doesn't wiegh that much.

When I do the review I want to make a direct comparison between a 1.2 meter offset dish for C band reception and the solid panel 6 foot dish. That way anyone contemplating upgrading from a minibud would have solid test results to compare from. I think I will provide channel lists from my Openbox receiver, one scanned using the 1.2 meter dish and a second using the 6 foot prime focus dish and also include signal levels for specific channels. I spent some time already creating a new satellite list using the HD editor which includes all KU and C band satellites and all the tansponders for birds between 30W through 139W. Hate that editor takes to much time to edit everything, not bad if all your trying to do is add a few channels or transponders, but takes forever if your trying to reformat for every satellite. And oh ya- don't try and add more than 63 sats to the list, the Openbox does not like that, found out the hard way.

For a review and testimonial of the dish I think I will take the time and do a step by step setup of the dish and programing of the V-box and include some great photos along the way, starting from the opening of the dish carton. I might even produce a setup video if anyone is interested, just need a little encuragement from members here. I have already produced a terrific minibud DVD, would have loved to share that here on this forum but would first have to get written permission from everyone that is included on the video before any public release. AcWxRadar and a few other members know what I am refering to!
Looking forward to reading your review! :D

Thanks Magic! I will wait for the actuator.................

.............I have already produced a terrific minibud DVD, would have loved to share that here on this forum but would first have to get written permission from everyone that is included on the video before any public release. AcWxRadar and a few other members know what I am refering to!

Walrus, you already know that you have my permission to post the video. I think it is an awesome creation! I understand that you may not like to You-Tube it, but that may be the only way to show it to everyone (permissions granted). What is it, about 3.5 to 5 minutes long? Obviously, that's too much to upload here on the site.

I see that Magic Static has an actuator for you! That's cool! Now I need you to come over and dig a big hole in my yard to install the BUD that I got from you and HEXFET! Ha Ha! Just joking of course, but if you can dig up a cam-corder, you could record me digging! :)

I do want to make a video of a complete installation. You have all the video editors so you can make it good (remove all my cussing) and then I can post it to You-Tube.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts