Tethering iPhone

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
I just searched through many threads and found many links to tethering the iPhone. I want to make this simpler and easier to view for future reference for those wanted to tether their iPhone.

What is the easiest way to tether the iPhone without jailbreaking it? Have you tried this method and did it work for you?

What method did you use for tethering and how well is it working?

Do they have a jailbreak for the 3.0 OS yet?

I am trying to find the easiest way that does not require a jailbreak, does not cause problems, and is known to work by those on this site who have tried it.

Last edited:
Interestingly, I was not able to access help.BenM.at over 3G. The connection simply said "forbidden site". Over WiFi, I did not have any problems accessing it.

That does not surprise me. I bet AT&T has that site blocked from going through their network. Once you hit Wifi you left the control of AT&T.

Comparing my phone (which has BenM.at for tethering) to my wife's phone (which does not), I noticed in general settings my phone has a folder called, "Profile". This folder contains the APN for tethering. There is also a button for removing this APN. Is this what I would use to uninstall the tethering feature? Just want to make sure that I do not uninstall something important if I need to uninstall it.

Comparing my phone (which has BenM.at for tethering) to my wife's phone (which does not), I noticed in general settings my phone has a folder called, "Profile". This folder contains the APN for tethering. There is also a button for removing this APN. Is this what I would use to uninstall the tethering feature? Just want to make sure that I do not uninstall something important if I need to uninstall it.
That is how you remove it. Very simple.

General Settings > Profile > click on APN > Remove > Resume

Here is something I noticed looking at my data usage.

When I had BenM.at installed on the phone my connection APN type was wap.cingular anytime I connected to 3G for anything. Now that I have taken BenM.at off of my phone it simply says "phone"

DATE TIME TO/FROM TYPE DIRECTION MSG/KB/MIN
07/12 09:52 PM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 865KB
07/12 09:01 PM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 829KB
07/12 01:48 PM wap.cingular Internet/MEdia Net Sent 142KB

Last edited:
The next iphone firmware update 3.1 disables the loophole and removes data tethering
iPhone OS 3.1 beta 2 released: WiFi for devs, no tethering for AT&T - SlashGear
And soon after someone will come up with a jailbreak for 3.1 or a download for 3.1 tethering. I just need to make sure I do not update my phone to the new software (once it comes out) until then.

"
WiFi support for developers means that the iPhone does not have to be physically connected via the USB cable for apps to be tested. In fact, connecting through WiFi now gives all the same functionality as a developer may be used to through Instruments." Chris Davies

If this is all the new firmware does, then there is absolutely no need for me to update my phone with the new firmware.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts