Texans Select

charper1

Bourbon Tester
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
I'm Nationwide
Texans make Mario Williams the #1 overall pick by signing him to a 6yr $54M deal this evening.

SHAKE UP those mock drafts.

That will make things interesting tomorrow. How many teams will now want to trade to number 2.

Maybe the Jets, TN has said they would take Bush over Leinart or Young, but that could be posturing. New Orleans doesn't need a RB or QB, nor do they want to pay for a #2 overall pick. The Raiders want Young, Leinart, Hawk in that order; so a QB should fall into their laps without trading up. San Fran needs almost everything and could screw up the board a bit.

Last edited:
I would like to see the Lions make the jump. Ever since Barry they have not had a very reliable running back.

Reggie Bush is radioactive until the sports agent scandle plays out. He better up that LA never gets a NFL team, because the USC fans are going to be mighty upset when the NCAA brings the hammer down.

I think the biggest thing the national media guys failed to realize is that the texans aren't hurting at running back. You take a guy you don't need if he's the best player and you don't have many holes. The texans have many holes. What's the point in having the next Barry Sanders if his lineman are letting defensive lineman and linebackers right through...

New Orleans doesn't need him. Titans don't need him. Jets may take him, and Green Bay can't afford not to take him since they're publicly owned and would prefer to win games next season. They may also pass though since again, they're not hurting at running back...

I also have no reason to believe all the national guys who think the steelers have to draft LenDale White at #32 to replace bettis. Bettis was a veteran leader, but his on the field production of 368 yards and 9 TD's (most from goaline situations) last season can be replaced by anyone currently on the roster (Willie Parker, Deuce and Verron Haynes). To suggest that Pittsburgh's biggest hole to fill is bettis is absurd...

Willie Parker, in his second season, ran for 1202 yards. Hello, national media, pay attention...

God I love the draft. Takes forever but it's going to be SO good tomorrow now that all these idiots have to cover how all their mock drafts were wrong...

Yep, so far the Cardinals, Raiders, and Packers have all inquired about moving up. Something tells me Green Bay might pull of the trade.

I'm hoping for a suprise move out of no where for my Colts to trade everything for #2. Without a huge need for anything really then a running back, it's a possibility... Plus we don't have to worry about giving up a lot to a division rival.

If there's one thing an Indy fan should know it's that they obviously don't have running back as a top priority. Players there in general seem to get the shaft if you ask me. They kinda dump people if they aren't 100% on the page. I don't like them at all so that's probably more my perception than anything...

But there's no way the colts move up for anything, let alone a running back. Maybe they should draft a new coach. Tony Dungy will never win a superbowl. Indy should pull the Tampa Bay and fire him and win it the next year with someone who can finish the job...

The big question now is could New Orleans be dumb enough to take bush (who they don't need) at #2? They gotta make a trade today, either trade down or trade Deuce later in the day...

BTW, all these comparisons to Barry Sanders as justification to take him regardless of need can stop. I love barry and believe he'd be the best back ever if he hadn't retired, but barry never won anything, and he left the game with a real bad taste in his mouth. Sure they got a lot of attention because of barry, but to rely on a guy like that just isn't how you win a superbowl. If you don't believe that, ask indy fans if it's accurate...Plus no matter how good the back is, you still have to be able to throw the ball. Seattle still throws, a lot. San Diego still throws...well, they did when they had a quarterback anyways...Kansas City still throws, etc...

Taking Bush at #1 would have meant the texans would be drafting 13th next year instead of 9th where mario williams will take them...Until someone in the texans coaching staff goes to wikipedia and looks up "Offensive Line", that team is doomed anyways...

Purogamer said:
Plus no matter how good the back is, you still have to be able to throw the ball. Seattle still throws, a lot. San Diego still throws...well, they did when they had a quarterback anyways...Kansas City still throws, etc...

And why do you think that these three teams can throw the ball pretty well.

1) Shaun Alexander
2) LaDainian Tomlinson
3) Larry Johnson

A good running game will always open up the passing attack.

I love the Lions but they don't need Bush they need to hope that the other teams are concerned with Bush and Michael Huff slides they need help on the D.

You are correct that they need help on the D side of the ball. I am just hoping to get a little help with O. They have picked all these receivers the past couple of years and no running game to help them out. They don't need Bush but they should do something about their lack of a running attack.

You right it would have helped but Kevin Jones is not that bad and if the passing game is a threat like it should be this year I feel he would go back to being what he showed the last half of his rookie year.

JAG72 said:
A good running game will always open up the passing attack.

That only applies when you have an offensive line, which houston has yet to employ as part of their offensive scheme...

Though screen passes to reggie on plays where he's not running would probably work, again you'd be asking one guy to carry the load. That generally doesn't work, and again I point to Mr. Sanders...

We can argue about reggie all day, but if the Texans weren't taking reggie they should have traded down, even if they didn't get the King's Ransom for it, move down a few places and pick up an extra pick or two. They could have still gotten mario (or maybe the #2 defensive guy on their board if they were unlucky) and picked up someone else to fill one of the many holes.

But all that's moot, they should have drafted D'Brickashaw anyways...or listen to their fans who have been taking out full page ads in the houston paper to draft Vince Young...

...and if we're talking about teams that need new GM's, go ahead and talk about the lions...You talk about wasted potential up there, let's get that going. Lions are on my tv a few times a year, i'd like to see them put on a show soon...

Last edited:
I totally agree that the Texans should have traded down with the number 1 pick. They could have traded for a couple more picks and a DE that would have helped them out just as much.

The Houston papers are not being very kind to the Texans today.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)