The 2008 NBA Draft- Where preparing for the future happens

Really??? Earlier tonight on ESPN's bottomline scroll it said the Indians game was postponed. It obviously was a misprint.

Ok, guys I'm back.

And just for the record, the Indians game WAS postponed or more technically, "delayed" for 2 hours due to a heavy thunderstorm. Needless to say, the game started at 9pm and I stuck it out like a true fan. Very long night indeed. Especially when I start work at 7am!

Read this post for my in-depth Indians/Giants game-day experience: http://www.satelliteguys.us/1425423-post120.html

HDMM's Special Comment on the Cav's #19 Selection

If you've read my previous posts, you know I was away from the TV and attended the Indians game last night, so I didn't have the opportunity to inflict MAJOR damage to my plasma when the Cavs announced their pick at #19! :eek: :mad:

Instead, I called the wife in between innings to find out who the Cavs drafted. Good thing I was in good graces and had a few brews in me at the time, otherwise I would've chucked the cell phone in the direction of David Dellucci! (Why is this guy DH-ing btw? Dude has the worst batting average on our team at .219!)

Anyways, the convo went as follows:

HDMM: Hey, hun. Who'd we get?

Mrs: You're not going to like this. Are you sitting down?

HDMM: Who is it?!!!

Mrs: JJ Hickson

HDMM: WHO!!!

Mrs: JJ Hickson

HDMM: Who the F*#@ is that!!!!

Mrs: He's a Freshman forward from NC State.

HDMM: Give me his specs.

Mrs: 19 yrs old, 6'9", 240lbs, described as a "project". Will not contribute right away, it will take a few years until he contributes.

HDMM: Were any of the following still available before our pick: Brandon Rush, Roy Hibbert, Courtney Lee, Chris Douglas-Roberts, Mario Chalmers, Marreese Speights, Darrell Arthur, or Kosta Koufos?

Mrs: Yup. Everyone except Rush, Hibbert and Speights.

HDMM: Someone took Hibbert?! Damn, I wanted him bad!

end of convo..........

So to summarize, GM Danny Ferry pretty much ignored the ONE main criteria for this draft and that was to get someone who was ready to contribute immediately! Our window will close in 2 years if LBJ leaves. We need to show him we can win now or risk losing him and our franchise when he becomes a free-agent after the 2010 season!!!!

Great job Danny Ferry. Let's hope you make it up by bringing another legitimate player to our team before next year. We can't just sit on our existing team and hope for more success. We need another contributor on offense. The season hasn't started so I guess the verdict is still out, but I am NOT happy with this pick at all.

I actually think it was a good trade.

Mayo would have sulked and complained about being in Minnesota.

Sorry to say, but Love is going to be a huge bust in the NBA. Minnesota traded one really great athletic player for Mike Miller, and Love; two white guys who are both athletically and defensively challenged.

According to ESPN's Chad Ford, The Miami Heat received an A+ for the draft:

Miami Heat Grade: A+

Round 1: Michael Beasley (2)

Round 2: Mario Chalmers (34), Darnell Jackson (52)

Analysis: I hate to break it to what looked like a very sober, perhaps disappointed Pat Riley, but the Heat won this draft. They walked away with arguably the best player in the draft and then got a second-round steal at point guard, a position at which Miami really needed help.

Beasley has a chance to be a superstar. With him and Dwyane Wade, the Heat have a terrific future. On top of that, Miami got a player at No. 34 who I had ranked as a potential mid-first-round pick. Chalmers is perfect for Riley: He is tough, plays defense, can shoot the lights out and is a winner. Once the Heat find a way to trade Shawn Marion, they'll be in great shape to make a big run at a young free agent next summer.

And according to John Hollinger's statistical formula, Jackson is one the biggest sleepers in the draft.

According to ESPN's Chad Ford, The Miami Heat received an A+ for the draft:

Yes, the Heat had a great draft. They belong up there with New Jersey and Portland as the best. IMO, Beasley is the best player in the country and getting Chalmers in the second round was a steal. It's very possible my Celtics will rue the day that they passed on Super Mario.

2008 NBA Draft Trade Overview

This just in:

Cleveland/Miami Trade

Miami gets:

Future second-round pick
Cleveland gets:
Draft rights to 52nd pick (Darnell Jackson)

Cleveland/Seattle Trade

Seattle gets:

Cash considerations
Cleveland gets:
Draft rights to 56th pick (Sasha Kaun)

Great, so we gave Seattle cash for this!........ :eek::eek::eek::eek:

dscf3013_copy.jpg

ESPN- Chad Ford on the Cav's Draft

Cleveland Cavaliers Grade: A-
cle.gif

Analysis: Hickson has been one of my sleepers in the draft. He has an NBA body and great athleticism, and he can play inside and out. His game needs to develop, but the raw tools are impressive. He could be a nice long-term replacement for Joe Smith. At No. 19, he was one of the few players left on the board with a chance of being a great player.

Well this sounds encouraging. Maybe this pick isn't as bad as I made it out to be earlier on. With all respect, it's too early to judge anyone at this point. Hopefully, I can trust our GM's pick on this one....

Who had the worst draft?

If you ask me, I say the Knicks.

Jarrod Bayless had fallen into their laps, yet they take a stiff who I've never heard of.

When Sandra can get on here, she'll have some steam to let loose...

Please welcome your new Cleveland Cavaliers!

19215.jpg

J. J. Hickson
Power Forward (Rank: #21) | 6-9, 240 | Age: 19
NC State (Freshman)
Interesting stat: He was 12-for-12 from the field in his first college game. :eek:

19235.jpg

Darnell Jackson
Power Forward (Rank: #74) | 6-8, 241 | Age: 22
Kansas (Senior)
Positives: Physical big man who can score around the rim and has a decent touch on his outside shot. Good rebounder. Hustles on the offensive end. Has a nose for the ball. :up

18943.jpg

Sasha Kaun
Center (Rank: #54) | 6-11, 247 | Age: 23
Kansas (Senior)
Hometown: Siberia, Russia
Notes: Kaun has enough talent to be a backup big in the league, but he just agreed to a big contract in Russia. I'm not sure he'll ever be good enough to make more money in the NBA than he can in Russia. :eek::mad:

Who had the worst draft?

If you ask me, I say the Knicks.

Jarrod Bayless had fallen into their laps, yet they take a stiff who I've never heard of.

When Sandra can get on here, she'll have some steam to let loose...

Please stop referring to the Italian as a "stiff". Just because you've never heard of him doesn't make him a bad pick. It wasn't a popular pick to the crowd at Madison Square Garden since he played overseas instead of the bright spotlights in the NCAA. Recognition doesn't always translate into success in the NBA. Plus, most every pre-draft rankings had the Italian over Bayless.

Please stop referring to the Italian as a "stiff". Just because you've never heard of him doesn't make him a bad pick. It wasn't a popular pick to the crowd at Madison Square Garden since he played overseas instead of the bright spotlights in the NCAA. Recognition doesn't always translate into success in the NBA. Plus, most every pre-draft rankings had the Italian over Bayless.

Sorry if thatwhat I said,

but I know that a lot of teams have been burned by picking these Euro players very high.

Consider:

In 2002, the Nuggets thought that Nikoloz Tskitishvili would turn out better than Amare Stoudemire.

NOT A GOOD IDEA.

Imagine if Denver had Amare, Carmelo, Camby, and Iverson- talk about scary...

Also, a year later, after your Cavs crowned a King, the Pistons went with Darko Milicic. If the Pistons drafted Carmelo or D-Wade, I think they win at least three titles.

No it does not mean success, but it would be nice of them if they would start playing a little defense and not be so damn soft(Gasol, Nowitski.....);)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts