The $5 No Phone Connect Fee

danb

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
I've had no phone connected to receiver since Christmas when I discovered that it was messing up my dsl connection. I have not been charged the $5 fee (knock on wood). Do they still charge this fee? I will be looking to get a wireless phone jack if they start to charge me. By the way, first post here, frequent lurker. Love the forums.

Nope, if it doesn't show the fee on your statement then you are not being charged the 5$ fee.
If they did that and it wasn't showing on your statement then Dish Network might get another lawsuit.

There is only a $5 no phone connect fee for the dual tuner receivers like the 322,522, 622, 222 et al.

There isn't any no phone line connected fee for single tuner receivers.

I've had no phone connected to receiver since Christmas when I discovered that it was messing up my dsl connection. I have not been charged the $5 fee (knock on wood). Do they still charge this fee? I will be looking to get a wireless phone jack if they start to charge me. By the way, first post here, frequent lurker. Love the forums.

What is a wireless phone jack?

What is a wireless phone jack?

It's a box that runs phone lines through the power wiring in your house. You plug an outlet box in and a phone wire to a nearby phone jack, then plug the other box in near your device and run a phone line from the box to your device.

They work alright for what they are. They can be prone to noise though.

I have the 322 dual tuner.

That fee will catch up to you sooner or later. My receivers were messing up my dsl too. I ended up installing dsl filters on all of my receivers. Radio Shack or Walmart has them. They are real cheap on ebay also. It solved my problem, and will prolly solve yours as well.

Yep, gotta have a DSL Filter on anything that isn't the DSL modem itself, that includes Fax machines, phones, Tivos, Sat receivers, dial-up modems. Otherwise, it usually causes clicking but can also cause the DSL modem to desync.

It's important to install them in the right direction too... The plug on the filter should always be facing away from the device or they generally won't work correctly. Wouldn't think it matters but it does for some reason.. :)

+1 drdroo...I was an idiot. I had never had dsl before, and live out in the boonies. My speed was 300k downstream & I thought it was normal until the telco tech came out and unplugged my receivers. My speed went from 300k to 1300k. OK...hijack over.

It happens. :) I figured a filter was a filter, found out that I basically had the equivalent of not having one because I put the 'tail' into the back of the phone instead of into the jack in the wall. Now I know they're directional.

I do agree that the 5$ fee will catch up, they usually 'find out'. I wish all receivers had Ethernet hookups just because of how much of a pain in the butt it is to have a free phone line.

That fee will catch up to you sooner or later. My receivers were messing up my dsl too. I ended up installing dsl filters on all of my receivers. Radio Shack or Walmart has them. They are real cheap on ebay also. It solved my problem, and will prolly solve yours as well.

Doh, why didn't I think of that. Problem solved. I had a bunch of filters laying around in the basement. Popped one on, now I get the same dl speed and won't have to worry about getting hit with the fee. Thanks for the help.

So let me see if i have this correct.My phone line from my 625 is in the basement and my DSL modem is plugged in on the main floor.I need to have a filter on the 625 line or it could slow down my computer.Thanks for your help.

Yep you just need a DSL filter attached to your 625 (not your DSL modem). Make sure the 'cable and plug' side are pointed away from your 625, not toward it.

DSL Filters should be on anything that isn't the DSL modem itself otherwise it can cause noise on the DSL service (causing the DSL service to be slow or unreliable) and on your calls.

Mine works well and i got the dsl filter on there.

Why do you people call it the phone line fee? LOL its the additinal tv access fee lol the phone ..

its like calling sdigital cables additional digital converter a phone line fee lol

It is a phone line fee, it's a fee if you don't have the phone line connected (and/or broadband connected in the case of the 622/722 or 211). It's a requirement for dual tuner boxes.

Additional receivers have their own separate fee. You can be charged for both an additional receiver AND a phone fee. :)

How is it messing up the connection? I am having the same problem right now. It was working fine and it is slowing down right now.

But, I don't get it why the receiver connection is messing up the connection?

The receiver makes phone calls sometimes and has a modem. The filter blocks the DSL signal from bleeding into the phone signal, and the filter also blocks the phone signal from bleeding into the DSL signal.

In other words, it's important to have a filter on EVERY device that is not the DSL modem itself.

If you are fortunate enough to have the DSL modem on the wire directly from the telephone entry box, then you can just use the DSL filter built into the modem to pass out the filtered phone signal to the rest of the house.

This works quite well for me and does not need any wall plate filters or line filters anywhere else in the house. The rest of the house gets CAT-5 wire for the internet from a switch after the modem as the modem only has one outlet. A second switch upstairs supplies 2 computers and a printer from the one CAT-5 that I ran there. My one try with a router did not work. 5-way switches are often on sale for $5-10.

Beware any 28-gauge wiring anywhere.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts