The 942 is HERE!

dlm10541 said:
Thanks

What is the smart card receptacle for?

It sounds odd, but it's for a smart card. :)

In the future, E* may see the need to do another security method, thus the inclusion of a smart card slot.

I too, an x-Voomer am making the switch. So if the 942 is not upgradeable and Dish is going to MPEG 4 late this year, I'm giving dish $250 for a HD Receiver/DVR that will be useless in 7 months????? I guess that's a better deal than giving D* $1000 for theirs??? :confused:

mcdeeee said:
I too, an x-Voomer am making the switch. So if the 942 is not upgradeable and Dish is going to MPEG 4 late this year, I'm giving dish $250 for a HD Receiver/DVR that will be useless in 7 months????? I guess that's a better deal than giving D* $1000 for theirs??? :confused:

Thats what I thought plus since its a leased unit after the $250 down payment I am assuming Dish will have a MPEG4 upgrade offer thats affordable.

Plus from what I have been reading Dish has not been very good on their promises. So maybe MPEG 4 and more HD are really some time next year????

Is the stretch mode offered by the 942 a linear stretch or a non-linear stretch? I believe that my Voom STB uses a linear stretch but I much prefer the non-linear stretch that my TV (Mits. 65813) can do.

mcdeeee said:

Your looking at it totally wrong, in 7-15 months dish will reupgrade you for free to a mpeg 4 dvr (probably something similar to the media portal). That's a very sweet deal in my opinion. I wish I had been a voom customer now, simply by virtue of taking charles to the cleaners equipment wise and circumventing the new sub clauses. :D

I don't think we'll see anything for mpeg4 until late next year, these types of conversions take time and to assume that they'll have anything ready by the end of 2005 just doesn't make sense.. I would guess late 06 or early 07 before one even has to worry about it, if i am wrong, then so be it. But I've never seen a tech shift happen over night.

Sorry for posting on multiple threads, but this question is bugging me...

I read someone's post somewhere, and I can't remember where, that suggested that once you were in the 942 lease program and paid the one-time $250 'lease fee' that you could actually get a 2nd 942 and only pay the $5mo. DVR fee. Am I crazy or is this true?

BFG said:
nope. you can only lease 1 942 per account

And don't forget that it is only for new accounts and not exisiting (at the moment). Does anyone have any info if/when DISH is going to allow existing DHA customers to exchange/upgrade to the 942? I have a 322/522 right now and would love to send back the 322 and get the 942. Am I just wishful thinking or will this be likely soon? :what

Scott Greczkowski said:
Its looking like Mid May.

Thanks Scott - I can live with that. :cool: Now, are there going to be any changes from what they are doing now with the new customers vs. what they do with exisiting? As far as cost ($250), etc....

Not to rub salt in any 'wounds of longing' here, but I just received my 942 via UPS. Unfortunately, it won't get fired up until May 1 when my E* installer hooks me up (until then I'm Vooming like a madman). I'm sure I'll crack open the box and look things over;)...and when I DO get it running, I'll chime in with my 2 cents worth. Mmm, shiny silver boxes.

Oh, and I did get confirmation from the CSR today that you DO indeed need to have a locals sub in order to have the OTA folded into the 942's guide...

BFG said:
Sure :)

I have no clue how the 942 stretches. It just stretches ;)

:p

On a serious note, I assume that other people prefer a non-linear stretch mode over a linear stretch mode so I would think that this would be a common question.

I could look in the guide or you could look through the online manual and see if it suggests one or the other type of mode. I'm assuming anything called SuperWide versus Wide might suggest a non-linear stretch like it does on my Sony HDTV.

shanewalker said:
I could look in the guide or you could look through the online manual and see if it suggests one or the other type of mode. I'm assuming anything called SuperWide versus Wide might suggest a non-linear stretch like it does on my Sony HDTV.

I have been trying to find the online manual but it is not posted on Dish's website, all I can find is 2 page product info sheet. Any idea where to find it online?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts