The 942 is HERE!

942 being shipped

Finally ordered a 942!! Hooray!! I can't wait till It gets here. Never thought I'd be this excited about an E* product...but from what I've read about the PQ on these units i must say I am pretty enthusiastic. 9 days and counting till it will be here. CSR told me it could arrive early. That's what I'm hoping for. Will post what I think of it here once I have it up and running. :D

Tech27 said:
Finally ordered a 942!! Hooray!! I can't wait till It gets here. Never thought I'd be this excited about an E* product...but from what I've read about the PQ on these units i must say I am pretty enthusiastic. 9 days and counting till it will be here. CSR told me it could arrive early. That's what I'm hoping for. Will post what I think of it here once I have it up and running. :D

I just got installed this morning. After about 2 hours of watching, my first impressions are that HD is about the same as voom, but SD is much better than Voom. Have fun with it.

-k

A very important thing I learned about the 942. I had mine located all by itself on top of my solid oak entertainment center. With the slower fan of the 942 and on a solid wood service, the unit builds up great heat. In the first two days I used it I got the overheated message that the unit had reached 147 degrees. I was very worried about this. Again it was sitting all alone with noting to the sides, below or on top. Apprently the heat would not dissipate and the oak would also get hot contintuing the heat buildup of the 942. I solved the problem. I put quarter inch spacers under each of the rubber feet of the 942. Just that quarter inch raised allowed better air flow and the air to be drawn properly thru the unit. I think this is a severe design flaw. I have seen others report, including Mark, that the 942 runs hotter than most receivers because the slowed the fan speed to cut down on noise. They should have raised the ground clearance as well. Just a note for those that have noticed that the unit runs hotter. With the summer coming, you might also get this same message. Now my 942 runs no hotter than my old voom Box and I can feel the heat being dissipated thru the vests on the left side now.

Hmm, I've noticed my unit is hotter than the voom box but I haven't gotten any over heating errors yet. Mine is actually in a wood cabinet. There's a top notch in the back of the cabinet for cooling. There's about 6" from the top of the 942 to the top of the cabinet, and the 942 sits on a shelf. There's nothing under the shelf for now but I'll likely add some other component in the futre.

I have a 942 and am having OTA issues. I only get 2 digital station where I live channel 9 and 20. When I first got the 942 both channels worked well. Now I get a black screen on channel 20. Channel 9 works fine. On channel 20 the signal strength reads 70 but the screen is black. When I plug the OTA directly into the back of my TV I get channel 20 just fine with the built in digital tuner. What's going on, why would it work well initially and then stop working. Please help.

On some of the heating issues--have they remembered to remove the almost invisible plastic shrink wrap that is on at least the front of the unit--check to see if it's on other sides also.

klen said:
I just got installed this morning. After about 2 hours of watching, my first impressions are that HD is about the same as voom, but SD is much better than Voom. Have fun with it.

-k

I got mine yesterday and I think HD is better with 942 than VOOM and Dish 811, SD also looks better

I am thinking that the 942 makes as big difference in PQ on both HD and SD. it really rocks. I din't know my DLP was that capable. Sharp crisp and the contrast is fantastic.

Well I finally got to watch some programming on my 942 last night. The original install was 5/27 but there was a problem with one of the tuners. So I ordered a replacement and it was waiting for me when I got home yesterday evening. Hooked it up, activated and quickly became amazed at the PQ on the HD channels. I'm an installer and have seen the 811 PQ plenty of times. I thought it was pretty good, but I do believe that the 942 has it beat by a long shot. Watched some underwater stuff on Discovery HD last night and the colors were amazing. I'm running through a 51" sony vvega moniter and it has incredible vibrance. I can definately tell what has been filmed with HD equipment and what has just been converted but even the converted stuff looks pretty darn good. Also watched a little Conan last night. He looks almost frightening!! All in all I'm very pleased with the 942 thus far! Thanks for a great product E*. Hope the mpeg4 version will live up to this one!!

Has somebody experience this problem with the 942?

In dual-mode when recording a show on TV2, if you start watching it before it finishes recording, sometimes after a pause and/or FF sequence (not sure yet) it starts "believing" that it is LIVE and doesn't let you do FF anymore. After this happens, even if you re-start playing, it still believes that the show is LIVE and doesn't let you do FF. The only way to do FF is stopping recording.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)