The 942 is HERE!

So I had my 942 installed yesterday and all's well, with one caveat.

My OTA locals all come in solid on the 811's that were also installed yesterday in the 2nd and 3rd rooms. Two key locals won't lock or won't lock without scramble/block artifacting on the 942, WGN 9 and the local Fox 32 Chicago stations. I currently think it has to do with the wiring done to split/accomodate the two tuners in the 942. The satellite strength is 100 and the antenna ranges from 74-94, and both dishes (have the 2nd for locals/V* pack) seem fine. The installer said he had to use an "older splitter I found up on the roof from a previous install, because the newer one used by Voom won't work with the E* system", and he said he didn't have a newer splitter for the roof on hand. He suggested I get one and swap it out myself. He also didn't have white coaxial for the front room 2nd line run, which I did swap out (good Gold cable from RS), and yes, the OTA issue was in effect before I changed the coax.

Any further light you folks could shed on this would be appreciated. I wonder if I can get E* to send out another installer to tweak this and provide the best/appropriate hardware for the roof...or if I SHOULD do this myself. I'm not sure what exactly to ask for (I assume this is a heavy duty outdoor splitter/diplexer combo or not?), so input is appreciated.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Ok I have been playing with it some more. And I like it, although it does have some quirks.

But since its an Echostar product I am not surprised. :)

I am hooked up via DVI using the enclosed HDMI to DVI converter. (Picture 1)

After setting up the unit the first thing I saw was a signal strength screen. I went in and did a Check Switch. This check switch took a long time compaired to my 921, it did 4 of 4 checks as I have a DishPro Plue 44 Switch.

It detected everything ok. :)

After I exited the check switch screen it took the inital software download. This download only took a few moments not almost an hour like on the 921.

Then after the software download I though my 942 was DOA. On my screen was a message saying "Warning - Your receiver's memory is now being programmed. Do not disturb or unplug your receiver!"

That message stayed up there for about 25 minutes, no moving icons showing it was working, no status bars showing its progress, nothing. I really thought it was fried.

After it updated itself the unit rebooted. A screen came up and wanted me to hit the record button on remote number 2. I did that and progressed to the next step.

A Screen appeared and it told me to hook up a phone line and it was going to run a test. As I was taking photos of this screen I got a quick white flash of the screen, (I think this was a bug) next thing I know I was watching Dish Network channel 101 in glorious 480i. I quickly went into the setup and changed it to 1080i.

After I went through the menus and adjusted my preferences to the way I like I went to the system information screen and called Dish Network to activate it.

After a few moments on hold I was helped by a friendly rep who liked staying to her script even though I was watching TV and had the latest software version she wanted me to go through the entire setup process again including doing the check switch. After about 15 minutes on the phone giving her my signal reading switch configuration etc my 942 was finally activated. At first the clock set itself to the correct time, then channels started turning on in groups, the last group to get activated was the HD tier. After that was done I went to tune to my locals from Dish Network and they were not there yet.

I then went into Dish Home, as I was interested to see how it was on a HDTV, and I wanted to see how fast it was. After about 40 seconds Dish Home loaded in a 4x3 screen I was going through and was not surprised to see most applications like all the good games were not available on the 942. When I went back to the main screen, my 942 froze up. Got a picture of my 942's first crash.

So I had to hold down the power button to reboot the unit, after it rebooted (a lot faster to boot then a 921) it did a check of 5 transponders for satellite signal. After that it did a download of the program guide. The guide download took 5 minutes. While you can cancel out of it there is no reason why it should make you watch it download guide data when you have a Dual Tuner DVR.

I went back in again to Dish Home and noticed a few things I have never seen before, including Dish Communications, which lets you buys ring tones and photos for your cell phone. There was also another one I have not seen before and this was a simple WWE WrestleMania aplet which told you about Sundays show (Wow $50?!)

I went out and looked and all my locals were available now, My wife saw that NCIS was on so she grabbed the remote from me and has been watching TV ever sense. I should note another bug I saw was she went to record the rest of NCIS so she pressed record and setup a time for it for new shows. After she did that the screen showed it was recording (which it was) however also on the screen was Closed Captions. We had to go in and turn ON the closed captions, then turn them off again, now the closed captions were gone.

Here are some more photos. :)

More I am sure when I really start playing with it, onlike others I have not had this unit for months before time so what I am writing are my honest opinions of the unit as they happen. :)
This is great!

Anyone tried the 942 using the Harmony remote? Is the Harmony programmed for all functions?

I am using a Harmony 676 remote with the 942. Most of the functions were on the Harmony website but there were a couple such as skip forward and skip back that the remote had to learn.

Great to hear the Harmony line works well with the 942...I really looking forward to their new color 880 model which is due out by end-of-the-month. I wonder if the website will have updated function codes by then?

newbie dish question

As a former Voomer, I was wondering what the difference is between the 921 and the 942. Anywhere I can look for a comparison?

Thanks.

-k

klen said:
As a former Voomer, I was wondering what the difference is between the 921 and the 942. Anywhere I can look for a comparison?

Thanks.

-k

The 921 is a piece of crap, the 942 is good.

There you go. :)

Hey, does the Harmony really work with "all" of your other system remotes despite the age of the product and type???

I have 4 remotes downstairs and wonder if it is worth the expense.. if so, which one would be the best?
Thanks.

klen said:

Thanks.

-k
What I heard is that the 942 is everything that the 921 was suppose to be :D

mdonnelly said:
The 942 works, the 921 sorta works.

ok- so I'm guessing the 942 is worth the extra money. Any idea where to get the best price on one?

-k

Walter L. said:
I got mine directly from E* - I'm leasing.

That makes a lot more sense. How much do they charge you per month? Any up front fees?

-k

mdonnelly said:

Thanks. I am aware of all those places, most charge $699 for the unit. I was hoping for a secret link to save some decent money on the thing. Maybe the lease is the way to go for me...

-k

mindstein said:
I did not go thru all of the post so I may be redundant. Dish told me that the 942 is mpeg4 capable.
From the last Charlie Chat we learned from Charlie that they Haven't started releasing any mpeg4 equipment yet. Only thing we've seen so far was the 411 they demo'd @ the Team Summit last weekend. I don't think the CSR you spoke with had a clue. They are not trained on much more than what is scripted to them.