The 942 is HERE!

My bad, I thought they might have it posted along with the others under User Guides, but it's not there yet. Too spanking shiny and new :). Somebody with a 942 should look into it for you...or I'll look through the manual when I get back from NAB.

shanewalker said:
My bad, I thought they might have it posted along with the others under User Guides, but it's not there yet. Too spanking shiny and new :). Somebody with a 942 should look into it for you...or I'll look through the manual when I get back from NAB.

I would appreciate it:) What is NAB?

I just recieved my 942 and can't find outhow to make a 4:3 image stretch to my whole 16:9 screen. It has vertical bars on the right and left and this bothers me. Can someone tell me how to make a stretched image. Thank you.

If you're tuned to a HD channel that's broadcasting an upconverted 4x3 picture on TV1, with TV1 output set to 16x9, you can't yet, so change your output resolution to either 480p or 480i, and use your television's stretch modes. If you're tuned to an SD channel, press the * key on the remote.

Just got my new 942 last night. I love it!!! It worked fine out of the box and I have had no problem setting timers. This box works like it is supposed to. The format issues are minor and I look for them to be fixed soon. I had to do one reboot because of a conflict with my timers because it locked up . It took like less than 30 seconds and it was back up and running. Try that with the 921/721 series. But after all is said and done , it makes my 921 look like a old vcr, a thousand dollar vcr. :rolleyes:

I only hope the new mpeg4 receivers will be based on this receiver. Having the ability to record 3 things at once ( 2 sat & one ota) is so cool. It really helps me since I am a power recorder. I watch a lot of series tv. I have the Houston locals and the west coast networks from all but Cbs , so I can record all of the tv shows I like. Finally Dish got it right. :D

My 921 will be going To Dishdept.com for a trade in towards the 942 so at least I am getting something for it. I hope they stay with this style of receiver and work to improve it with newer future models. :yes

Thanks to Mark at Dishdepot.com for getting me a new 942 so quickly. I only waited little more than a month for it. He said they should be moving much quicker for anyone who wants one next month.

Question about 942 installation

I'm scheduled for installation next Monday 25th. I'm getting a 942 for 2 rooms. My house is pre-wired with a single coax cable from Room 1 to the exterior (coax1). Similarly, Room 2 has another coax that goes to the same place in the exterior as room 1 (coax2). The layout of the house is such that the only possibility to run a new coax directly from room 1 to room 2 would be through the crawl space.
I would think that the installer will use coax1 to connect from the LNB to the 942 in the 1st room. So my question is, how will he connect from the Room 1 (942) to Room 2? would he go into the crawl space and run a new coax? or will he use some sort of diplexer on coax1 to get the signal from the 942 to the exterior and connect it to coax2? (since both coax1 & coax2 go to the same place in the exterior)

Sorry, if this link has been posted before. But, here's an extensive writeup on the 942:
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=39889

.....and an excerpt from the same source on the GOOD, the BAD, and the UGLY....

"What’s Good About the DVR-942
Just about everything. It works. It doesn’t crash. Timers fire the way they’re supposed to. It’s reliable. Recorded events aren’t randomly deleted. The interface is the best one that DISH Network™ has ever produced. Almost everything that is on the DVR-921 wishlist is included on the DVR-942. The bottom line is that this is a very good receiver.

Let me put it this way – I’m comfortable enough already with the DVR-942 that I use it exclusively to record important events, without setting backup recordings on any of my other DISH Network™ receivers or on my HTPC.

What’s Not So Good About the DVR-942
Of course there are some annoying issues that need to be fixed. There always are. If I told you that this was a perfect product, you’d fall over on the floor laughing (and rightfully so). It’s not perfect, but the imperfections are minor. So, I’m going to list some of the annoying things that are still wrong with the DVR-942 here. Most of these are things that should be reasonably easily fixable in future versions of the software.

Manual timers are not named correctly if they are set to start before the start of the hour or the start of the half hour. Timers and events recorded from those timers are named the previous program’s title. For example, an event recorded from a manual timer set to record from 8:58pm to 10:00pm will be named the title of the program from 8pm to 9pm, rather than being named the title of the program from 9pm to 10pm.

You can’t watch OTA analog channels yet.

There's no Discrete OFF remote command.

You can’t watch digital OTA channels on the TV2 output when running in Dual User mode. This was obviously a business decision to encourage you to subscribe to your DISH NetworkTM locals package, not a technical limitation.

You must subscribe to your DISH NetworkTM local channel package to have guide data for your local digital OTA channels (just like with the DVR-921). Once again, obviously a business decision.

With DISH NetworkTM multi-tuner receivers, you must have a phone line (with a dial tone) connected at all times or you are charged a $4.99 per month fee. You may be able to get a VoIP system to work, but it's not supported, so if you can't get it to work, you are out of luck and on your own. The same applies to DSL and cable company phone lines and cell phone connections as well.

When in Single User Mode, the TV2 output of downconverted 16:9 programming is displayed horizontally squished rather than being displayed in a letterboxed format.

None of the aspect ratio formats work when tuned to high definition satellite channels or digital OTA channels. This means that the DVR-942 cannot apply stretch, partial zoom or zoom to upconverted 4:3 broadcasts.

There currently is a problem outputting DD5.1 audio when PIP has been activated (either with the PIP button or with the SWAP button). DD5.1 audio is only active on the main PIP window. Once a Swap has occurred, the DVR-942 will only output PCM audio until the main window is swapped back.

There you have it. That’s the DVR-942 receiver in a very large nutshell, the good and the not so good. Updates will be added, and questions answered at www.DBSTalk.Com in the Official DBSTalk DVR-942 Support Forum"

942 Specifications

For those of you that want to know, here's the description of the 942.

DISH Player-DVR 942 is the industry's first receiver to offer DVR and HD capabilities long with a multi-room function. Connect two or more TVs, get and record high definition programming, and enjoy a full spectrum of DVR features.

Best regards,
Brendan

OK. I got my 942 via UPS yesterday, but not my 811 (I'm leasing both). I called E* today and CSR told me that she "thinks" that the installer will bring the 811 next Monday when he comes for installation. What do you guys think? Is that the way that it usually works (installer brings 811, but 942 is shipped directly)? Or should I expect the worst when the installer shows up.

Usually the installer brings the stuff. I never had my equipment shipped to me.

The 942 was probably shipped because it's not widespread to installers yet

jerryez said:
E does tech shifts overnight all the time. That is why there hardware is so screwed up.

A lot of companies create less then stellar hardware, and while I am sure all you wanted to do was make some useless Dish bashing remark, my comment was that new technologies such as mpeg4 for satellite delivery is not going to happen quickly (IMHO) its of course going to require new hardware and software, and since you think things are junk now, it shouldn't be a stretch to hope that they sort of know this and would strive a little harder to get it close to right with the shift to mpeg4 receivers.

I got my 942 installed today and I'm now learning to use the beast. I've noticed that a couple of times when I change a channel, the closed captioning get activated. I've checked under menu->preferences and is OFF. Is this a known bug? or am I doing something stupid?

Don't know the exacts Walter, but I've had a prob where my Sony's on screen guide will pop on when I hit a button on another remote, and sometimes seemingly completely on it's own. I.E., some weird IR signal crossover with your T.V, maybe., or was it specifically some sort of closed captioning done by the 942? Just throwing that out there, could be way off base.

What's your opinion of the 942 so far? And guide/HD OTA as compared to V* boxes...curious myself, get mine installed Sunday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)