The BCS got it right

jwfgeol

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Knoxville, TN
Whether you love or hate the BCS, or are for or against a playoff system, the two most deserving teams are in the BCS National Championship.

Ohio State is the only champion of a BCS conference with only one loss, and that one loss is to a team headed for the Rose Bowl. Easy choice as number 1.

LSU are the champions of the toughest conference in college football. It took six overtimes for them to have two losses to two teams going bowling. Combined record of teams they lost to: 15-9. Easy choice as number 2.

Let's look at the other teams' arguments:

Virginia Tech - You lost by six touchdowns to the team mentioned above. Next!

Oklahoma - Probably playing better than any team in the country right now and lost two road games, one without a starting qb. Combined record of teams they lost to: 14-10. The loss to Colorado and the way the defense played against Texas Tech plays heavily in them not being in the NC.

Georgia - Got spanked 35-14 by a team LSU just beat in the SEC Championship and lost to a 6-6 South Carolina team that isn't going bowling. It doesn't matter what you were ranked last week, you don't deserve to be in.

Missouri - Missouri should be in the Orange Bowl and got royally screwed, but they don't belong in the NC. They tried to beat the team currently ranked #4 twice, and didn't come close either time.

USC - Playing just as good as OU right now, but next time, make sure you beat the team that you are favored to beat by 41 points.

And does anyone remember what things were like before the BCS with the conference tie-ins. Try figuring out the national champion if the bowls looked like this:
Rose - USC vs Ohio State
Sugar - LSU vs Kansas
Fiesta - Oklahoma vs Georgia
Orange - Virginia Tech vs West Virginia

Yes, the BCS is a joke. But like it or not, when only two teams can play for it, the right two teams are in this year.

But, before the BCS started I think around 1998 OU would have been going to the Orange Bowl as Champs of the Big8/Big12. The Fiesta was an independent bowl with no major conference tie ins and the Cotton Bowl was the 4th major.

did someone forget to mention ohio state's soft schedule? the big ten was downright lousy this season. the only decent team they played (illinois) they lost.

But, before the BCS started I think around 1998 OU would have been going to the Orange Bowl as Champs of the Big8/Big12. The Fiesta was an independent bowl with no major conference tie ins and the Cotton Bowl was the 4th major.
And the ACC champ (Virginia Tech) would have gone to the Citrus Bowl in Orlando.

OSU lost to an UNRANKED Illinois. The only reason Illinois is going to the Rose Bowl is because they are 2nd in the soft Big10.

VT lost to two RANKED teams (#2 and #11), and ended up beating BC in a rematch by 14. I'd love to have a rematch with LSU :hungry:

Oh, and while we are bringing up past spankings, what happened last year when OSU played Florida (another SEC team?)

Whether you love or hate the BCS, or are for or against a playoff system, the two most deserving teams are in the BCS National Championship.

Ohio State is the only champion of a BCS conference with only one loss, and that one loss is to a team headed for the Rose Bowl. Easy choice as number 1.

LSU are the champions of the toughest conference in college football. It took six overtimes for them to have two losses to two teams going bowling. Combined record of teams they lost to: 15-9. Easy choice as number 2.

Let's look at the other teams' arguments:

Virginia Tech - You lost by six touchdowns to the team mentioned above. Next!

Oklahoma - Probably playing better than any team in the country right now and lost two road games, one without a starting qb. Combined record of teams they lost to: 14-10. The loss to Colorado and the way the defense played against Texas Tech plays heavily in them not being in the NC.

Georgia - Got spanked 35-14 by a team LSU just beat in the SEC Championship and lost to a 6-6 South Carolina team that isn't going bowling. It doesn't matter what you were ranked last week, you don't deserve to be in.

Missouri - Missouri should be in the Orange Bowl and got royally screwed, but they don't belong in the NC. They tried to beat the team currently ranked #4 twice, and didn't come close either time.

USC - Playing just as good as OU right now, but next time, make sure you beat the team that you are favored to beat by 41 points.

And does anyone remember what things were like before the BCS with the conference tie-ins. Try figuring out the national champion if the bowls looked like this:
Rose - USC vs Ohio State
Sugar - LSU vs Kansas
Fiesta - Oklahoma vs Georgia
Orange - Virginia Tech vs West Virginia

Yes, the BCS is a joke. But like it or not, when only two teams can play for it, the right two teams are in this year.

NO ONE else has come up with a better explination so you win by default!:D

just double checked ohio state's sked and they did not beat a top 10 or top 20 team. every ranked team they beat (and this was a current sked at espn.com) had them beating teams ranked 21 through 25.

although, illinois wasn't ranked until late in the season, it was a clear oversight. they should have been ranked after they beat then number 5 wisconsin.

OSU lost to an UNRANKED Illinois. The only reason Illinois is going to the Rose Bowl is because they are 2nd in the soft Big10.

VT lost to two RANKED teams (#2 and #11), and ended up beating BC in a rematch by 14. I'd love to have a rematch with LSU :hungry:

Oh, and while we are bringing up past spankings, what happened last year when OSU played Florida (another SEC team?)
Are you on crack? VT would lose to ANY top 10 ranked team. Oh please, name the Hokies top 5 opponents this year? BC???:rolleyes: Duke? East Carolina? W&M?? (WIlliam and Mary folks!!!!) the ohio bobcats?? North Carolina? Miami?? FL state??:rolleyes:

The hokies would get massacred in an LSU rematch or an Ohio ST match up. Destroyed, Humiliated. Or Georgia, Florida, USC, my god I bet Hawaii could take them. They have no offensive line. :haha :haha :haha

Abosolutely.. should have been a rematch..... I think the computers got it right.

I'm not saying Ohio State deserves it (or LSU for that matter), but there's no way any team that loses at any point in the season to any other team by 41 points deserves to win the National Championship. Sorry.

Personally, I think the only thing the winner of that game is going to be able to feel good about calling themselves is BCS Champion. This year, more than ever, there's no way they (or anyone else) can legitimately claim to be the true National Champion.

VT would lose to ANY top 10 ranked team. Oh please, name the Hokies top 5 opponents this year? BC???:rolleyes: Duke? East Carolina? W&M?? the ohio bobcats?? North Carolina? Miami?? FL state??:rolleyes:

The hokies would get massacred in an LSU rematch or an Ohio ST match up. Destroyed, Humiliated. Or Georgia, Florida, USC, my god I bet Hawaii could take them. They have no offensive line. :haha :haha :haha

They *HAD* no O line. Now they do. VT beat 5 teams with winning records this year. BC, Virginia, and Clemson were ranked when we beat them and are still ranked. I think we hold our own in regards to the schedule we played.

Have you looked at the records of the teams the other top 3 played? Wow, LSU played Middle Tenn. State!!! Every team plays some cupcakes throughout the year.

I'm not saying Ohio State deserves it (or LSU for that matter), but there's no way any team that loses at any point in the season to any other team by 41 points deserves to win the National Championship. Sorry.

Personally, I think the only thing the winner of that game is going to be able to feel good about calling themselves is BCS Champion. This year, more than ever, there's no way they (or anyone else) can legitimately claim to be the true National Champion.

I agree. Even if it wasnt in the NC, I woulda like to have seen LSU and VT rematch, I think it would have been a good game. Everyone saw how LSU had problems with Arkansas' tricks and multiple QB/RBs.

They *HAD* no O line. Now they do. VT beat 5 teams with winning records this year. BC, Virginia, and Clemson were ranked when we beat them and are still ranked. I think we hold our own in regards to the schedule we played.

Have you looked at the records of the teams the other top 3 played? Wow, LSU played Middle Tenn. State!!! Every team plays some cupcakes throughout the year.
You do know that some HS teams could beat W&M:rolleyes: If VT wants to be taken seriously stop playing out of conference cream puffs. ANd you still have no line and no offense. VT's ranking is proof that the BCS does not care about anything but #1 or #2. VT should have been ranked out of the top 10. You are bragging about beating #20 Virginia? #15 Clemson? Face it when anyone was ranked high like BC you lost. And when you played LSU? LMAO. VT has not played at a high level in any game this season.

If they got it right -- why was LSU ranked #7. If 2 of the 4 top teams can't make it, then why have rankings then??????????????? Nonsense Nonsense Nonsense. Only 2 states out of 50 agreed with the decision. Guess who they were.......

The refs did everything they possibly could do to get WVU the win and they still couldn't do it.

One of the many reasons they have these bowl games is so Tostitos and Blue Bonnet Margarine can sponsor and give away free food and have their families go to one of many meaningless games and sit and cheer in the stands for 2 scrub teams and give away meaningless trophies and make teams feel like they won something. It also gives us a reason to flip the channel 30 times in a night watching 4 games at once.

3 years ago, Pitt had no business being in any kind of bowl game and got their arses whipped by Utah and the Pitt players came home with Ipods, 7" portable DVD players, diamond rings, and endless amounts of Under Armour among many other things.

Happy Holidays!!!!!!!

did someone forget to mention ohio state's soft schedule? the big ten was downright lousy this season. the only decent team they played (illinois) they lost.

As always, lets wait until the bowl season is over to see how the confs do against each other.

BTW...to the orig poster: couldn't have said it better!

Btw....did anyone see USATODAY today?

The coaches votes are all listed. The one that is the craziest IMO are the Bowdens (Tommy and Bobby). Bobby has Mizzu 6th, kansas 7th, and OU 10th while Tommy had Mizzu 5th, kansas 6th, and OU 7th

How in the hell do you vote a team like Mizzu ahead of OU!! They have the same record and Mizzu lost to OU TWICE!!

I agree. Even if it wasnt in the NC, I woulda like to have seen LSU and VT rematch, I think it would have been a good game. Everyone saw how LSU had problems with Arkansas' tricks and multiple QB/RBs.

but they were not healthy , give em a month, i wouldn't want to play em again :)

Btw....did anyone see USATODAY today?

The coaches votes are all listed. The one that is the craziest IMO are the Bowdens (Tommy and Bobby). Bobby has Mizzu 6th, kansas 7th, and OU 10th while Tommy had Mizzu 5th, kansas 6th, and OU 7th

How in the hell do you vote a team like Mizzu ahead of OU!! They have the same record and Mizzu lost to OU TWICE!!

Well that clearly explains why I always say to take the Coaches Poll out of the equation... 1. they don't have time to watch all these other teams and often give thier vote to the SID anyway.
2. IF they did have time to watch these other games then that would be doing thier school a disservice when they should be concentrating on their teams next game.

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts