The BCS got it right

For discussion, lets look at three things from the Sagarin ratings; strength of schedule, record vs the top 30 (quality wins), and record vs everyone else (bad losses).

Ohio State - 60th, 2-1, 9-0
LSU - 21st, 4-2, 7-0
Virginia Tech - 36th, 2-2, 9-0
Oklahoma - 59th, 3-1, 8-1
Georgia - 30th, 3-1, 7-1
Missouri - 24th, 3-2, 8-0
USC - 32nd, 2-1, 8-1
Kansas - 88th, 0-1, 11-0
West Virginia - 42nd, 2-1, 8-1
Hawaii - 137th, 1-0, 11-0

LSU is the only team that has played 6 teams ranked in the top 30 and the only team with 4 "quality wins". And for those of you wondering how Hawaii can have a strength of schedule of 137 when there are only 119 FBS teams, there are several FCS teams that have a tougher SOS than Hawaii.

I disagree...they are a two loss team in "not-the-toughest" conference in college football. A one loss Kansas team should be matched up with OSU in the BCS championship game. Additionally, there are a handful of equally deserving two loss teams out there: Georgia, USC, Missouri, etc. The BCS is a joke.

Are you suggesting the Big 12 is tougher than the SEC? More top heavy maybe, but tougher? I'm not buying. The Big 12 is the 4th rated conference by Sagarin behind the SEC, Big East, and Pac-10. As always, we will find out in the bowls.

And my suggestion to Kansas, play someone other than Central Michigan, SE Louisiana, Toledo, and Florida International out of conference.

Are you suggesting the Big 12 is tougher than the SEC? More top heavy maybe, but tougher? I'm not buying. The Big 12 is the 4th rated conference by Sagarin behind the SEC, Big East, and Pac-10. As always, we will find out in the bowls.

And my suggestion to Kansas, play someone other than Central Michigan, SE Louisiana, Toledo, and Florida International out of conference.

LMAO! Damn good point...hell, they didn't play the best team IN THERE OWN CONFERENCE in Oklahoma....!:rolleyes:

Salsa, did you check Ohio State's out-of-conference schedule? Not any tougher. Maybe even easier.

BUT, they played 5 teams that were ranked in the Top 25.....Kansas only played 2 teams that were ranked in the Top 25 AND like I stated before, did NOT even play the toughest team in their conference.

BUT, they played 5 teams that were ranked in the Top 25.....Kansas only played 2 teams that were ranked in the Top 25 AND like I stated before, did NOT even play the toughest team in their conference.

Right. Ohio State did play the toughest team in their conference... and lost to them. And that team was Illinois. Oops.

I'm not making a case for one team or another, because I really don't care that much about CFB - but I would be a whole lot more interested in it if they had a playoff, and so would the rest of the country. But as long as the school presidents believe that it would take money out of their pockets, it will never happen.

There's no reason to get rid of the bowls. Just re-organize them so that the top tier bowls are used for the playoffs - heck, they might even be able to create a few new bowls ("Mount Rushmore Bowl" anyone?) to catch some of the bottom-feeding bowl teams that would be displaced. Or.... here's a thought... leave the number of bowls so that getting to one is actually an accomplishment. Limit the number of regular season games to 10 so you don't disrupt the "student athletes," and leave the bowl qualification standard at 6 wins. I'm sure there are about 125 other ideas that would be better than what they have now.

I think we all agree that Missouri was the big loser in the BCS. The only reason they aren't going to a BCS bowl is because the rules say no more than two teams per conference can play in a BCS bowl for the big money. The Big-12 has three teams in the top ten, and by rights should have three teams playing in the BCS.

Somebody had to lose out, but I do think that the "Ozark Mountain Bowl" between Mizzou and Arkansas at the Cotton Bowl is a pretty good consolation prize.

I'm not arguing here. I just wanted to comment only about OSU's non-conference schedule. I'm on record saying the BCS championship is the correct pairing in another thread. I think Kansas is a great BASKETBALL school, as for football, they're just the "flavor of the month". They can comeback and argue after they a few conference titles. One year wonders are everywhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)