The Best NFL Receiver

talos4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 26, 2005
SE Wisconsin
The topic of another thread about Brett Favre being considered the "best"QB ever made me think about the guy's who catch those passes.

One of the Greatest if not THE greatest posted these numbers during his career:

8 seasons leading the league in receiving *
5 consecutive seasons leading the league in receiving *
7 seasons leading the league in yards gained *
4 games of 200 or more yards in a career * (tie)
2 games of 200 or more yards in a season
9 seasons leading the league in total Touchdowns *

* = Current NFL Record

Member of the Hall of fame

Who am I?

Sorry!

Try again!

Kinda makes my point.

I call this player the greatest receiver to play the game but, Others choose another.

It's hard tagging any player the "Greatest".

Sorry!

Try again!

Kinda makes my point.

I call this player the greatest receiver to play the game but, Others choose another.

It's hard tagging any player the "Greatest".

Don Hutson- WR for the Packers from 1936-37, 1939, 1941-45.

He didn't really have a lot of competition in leading the league in receptions during that era. It's a whole different field of competition in the modern NFL era.....

Ding, Ding Ding!!! You are correct!

HD MM I understand your point of different era's but , that also makes the point.

60+ years later Hutson still holds 5 league records. In that 60+ you've had receivers like Jerry Rice play 20 years.

What's more remarkable is that Jerry Rice played a total of 303 games. Hutson played 116 in an era when the forward pass was considered a novelty and a high risk play.

He was also the teams kicker 172 PAT's, 7 FG's
As a DB he had 30 INT's in his final six years

They don't make them like that anymore do they?

I never said Jerry Rice was the greatest.

I think Art Monk was the best I ever saw.

Ding, Ding Ding!!! You are correct!

HD MM I understand your point of different era's but , that also makes the point.

60+ years later Hutson still holds 5 league records. In that 60+ you've had receivers like Jerry Rice play 20 years.

What's more remarkable is that Jerry Rice played a total of 303 games. Hutson played 116 in an era when the forward pass was considered a novelty and a high risk play.

He was also the teams kicker 172 PAT's, 7 FG's
As a DB he had 30 INT's in his final six years

They don't make them like that anymore do they?

But I guess what I was trying to get at was that in an era where "passing was a novelty", the statistical records Hutson has reflects him being the best in his own era. The bulk of the stats you display just show that he dominated his era, not personal all-time individual records.

On a different note, I am not denying or doubting Hutson's all around abilities to play multiple positions or his freakish athleticism to help his team. As a matter of fact, this practice was done quite often back in the day. For instance, Lou (the toe) Groza was the kicker and played offensive line throughout the 1950's for the Cleveland Browns. Can you imagine an O-Lineman nimble enough to kick in today's era??!

In the "Best" you need to specify, are we talking CURRENT players, or everyone.
If you go by NUMBERS as many do, you will come up with many great numbers guys.
If you are talking BEST in the current playing era ...

I'll take

Hines Ward

He does it all, how many of your leading guys with the great numbers , don't bother to play when the play doesn't go to them ?

Whens the last time you saw a T.O. or Moss block anyone on a regular basis, (they may occasionally get in the way and be considered a block)

Jimbo

Jimbo dont forget, I believe hines ward is one of the few wide recievers who will go over the middle for a catch, most routes drawn up for wide recievers are outs, or hooks, or stop n go's, meanwhile Ward's plays are over the middle just waiting to get popped, which he does, but he also holds on to the ball...now I am not saying hes the greatest, but he is def. a top wide reciever!

Don Hutson was outstanding and most likely the best Packer to "don" a uniform. Too bad he never gets any credit for it. To hold records 60 years after you retire is incredible.

In the "Best" you need to specify, are we talking CURRENT players, or everyone.
If you go by NUMBERS as many do, you will come up with many great numbers guys.
If you are talking BEST in the current playing era ...

I'll take

Hines Ward

He does it all, how many of your leading guys with the great numbers , don't bother to play when the play doesn't go to them ?

Whens the last time you saw a T.O. or Moss block anyone on a regular basis, (they may occasionally get in the way and be considered a block)

Jimbo

Moss blocked great this year, especially in the playoffs.

Really ..... How'd the running game go ? :confused::rolleyes:

Hines is also not a ME guy...

Pretty good in the first 2 games, abandoned in the superbowl.

Ward doesn't have the talent to be a me guy. I didn't hear Moss comlain about them not getting him the ball like they did in the regular season.

Pretty good in the first 2 games, abandoned in the superbowl.

Ward doesn't have the talent to be a me guy. I didn't hear Moss comlain about them not getting him the ball like they did in the regular season.

Wait till the Pats lose a few games and then you'll hear from him.

You need talent , to be a selfish player ?

Jimbo

Come on guys, is this really even a debate? Art Monk, Hines freaking Ward?!!! Please don't let your homerism get involved in this debate. :confused:
I thought the WR spot was the only position in football that there is a consensus all time best............ Jerry Rice!!!!

Most Pass Receptions, Career- 1,549
Most Seasons, 50 or More Pass Receptions- 17
Most Consecutive Games, Pass Receptions- 274
Most Yards Gained, Career- 22,895
Most Seasons, 1,000 or More Yards, Pass Receiving- 14
Most Yards Gained, Season- 1,848
Most Games, 100 or More Yards Pass Receiving, Career- 76
Most Touchdowns, Career- 197
Most Touchdowns, Season- 22
Most Consecutive Games, Touchdowns- 13
1985 Rookie of the Year
Super Bowl XXIII MVP
3 Super Bowl Rings
13x Pro Bowl Selections in 20 year career

And the scary thing is, for most of these significant records, there is no one close to touching Rice's accomplishments! As a player, is there really anything else to accomplish if you're Rice?

Last edited:
Ok I'll take on the debate from a different direction.

If we do it by the numbers

Let's go back to Favre...

Most wins by a QB - 160 (160-93)
Career Pasing yards - 61,655
Passing TD's - 442
Completions - 5,377
Attempts - 8,758
INT's - 288 :mad:
Games with at least 3 TD's - 63
3rd QB to defeat all 31 teams in the league
1 Super Bowl Ring
2nd to Montana in playoff history in, Completions, TD's, Passing Yards and Attempts
Consecutive Starts 253 (275 incl. Playoffs)

[And the scary thing is, for most of these significant records, there is no one close to touching Rice's accomplishments! As a player, is there really anything else to accomplish if you're Rice?/QUOTE] or Favre?

Is it fair to compare players that play 15- 20 years against guy's who played 10 or less?

If you do make that comparison, then alot of other great players get left by the wayside.

Or do you put the iron men in a different category? and how would you do that?

Questions that will never really have an answer. But, it is fun to debate.

Come on guys, is this really even a debate? Art Monk, Hines freaking Ward?!!! Please don't let your homerism get involved in this debate. :confused:
I thought the WR spot was the only position in football that there is a consensus all time best............ Jerry Rice!!!!

Most Pass Receptions, Career- 1,549
Most Seasons, 50 or More Pass Receptions- 17
Most Consecutive Games, Pass Receptions- 274
Most Yards Gained, Career- 22,895
Most Seasons, 1,000 or More Yards, Pass Receiving- 14
Most Yards Gained, Season- 1,848
Most Games, 100 or More Yards Pass Receiving, Career- 76
Most Touchdowns, Career- 197
Most Touchdowns, Season- 22
Most Consecutive Games, Touchdowns- 13
1985 Rookie of the Year
Super Bowl XXIII MVP
3 Super Bowl Rings
13x Pro Bowl Selections in 20 year career

And the scary thing is, for most of these significant records, there is no one close to touching Rice's accomplishments! As a player, is there really anything else to accomplish if you're Rice?

Got to agree here, kind of a no-brainer in my book.

Ok I'll take on the debate from a different direction.

If we do it by the numbers

Let's go back to Favre...

Most wins by a QB - 160 (160-93)
Career Pasing yards - 61,655
Passing TD's - 442
Completions - 5,377
Attempts - 8,758
INT's - 288 :mad:
Games with at least 3 TD's - 63
3rd QB to defeat all 31 teams in the league
1 Super Bowl Ring
2nd to Montana in playoff history in, Completions, TD's, Passing Yards and Attempts
Consecutive Starts 253 (275 incl. Playoffs)

And the scary thing is, for most of these significant records, there is no one close to touching Rice's accomplishments! As a player, is there really anything else to accomplish if you're Rice?/QUOTE] or Favre?

Is it fair to compare players that play 15- 20 years against guy's who played 10 or less?

If you do make that comparison, then alot of other great players get left by the wayside.

Or do you put the iron men in a different category? and how would you do that?

Questions that will never really have an answer. But, it is fun to debate.
Ok, Let's go back to Favre...

Most wins by a QB - 160 (J. Elway- 148)
Career Pasing yards - 61,655 (D. Marino- 61,361)
Passing TD's - 442 (D. Marino- 420)
Completions - 5,377 (D. Marino- 4,967)
Attempts - 8,758 (D. Marino- 8,358)
INT's - 288 :mad: (G. Blanda- 277)
Games with at least 3 TD's - 63 (Not sure if that's a record. Seems like a very obscure stat)
3rd QB to defeat all 31 teams in the league (3rd QB to achieve the feat? Again, no record here)
1 Super Bowl Ring (Not a record. Bradshaw and Montana have 4 each, while Otto Graham had 7 Championships before the Super Bowl)
2nd to Montana in playoff history in, Completions, TD's, Passing Yards and Attempts (2nd doesn't count here)
Consecutive Starts 253 (275 incl. Playoffs) (P. Manning- 160+ current)

So, comparing Favre to being the "Jerry Rice" of QB's, I think is unfair. Favre isn't eclipsing anyone in statistical records the way Rice did to all other receivers. (Except for the consecutive start thing, that is currently being caught up with by P. Manning). Plus, there are many other ways to judge QB greatness such as Championship wins, passer rating, etc. If that is the case, that honor should go hands down to Otto Graham. See my explanation: HERE.

But back to WR's, the best all-time has to go to Rice based on the sheer combination of statistical accomplishments, playoff dominance and Super Bowl Victories.

Let's stay on the subject of receivers here. If you want to discuss best QB then just create another thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)