The Big D*s MPEG4 Changes Over

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lou_do

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 2, 2005
Central Maine
I was wondering, does anyone know how they plan to convert over to MPEG4 when their new satellites are up and running? I have a few questions.

1. Are they eventually converting ALL feeds (SD & HD) over to MPEG4?
2. Are they just doing the HD signals first?
3. Will they transmit all of their feeds in HD, to save space and channel duplication, and build one receiver that will output both HD & SD? (Like my current Hughes HD receiver does)

I think some people are very anxious for this to happen, but we all need to realize it takes time to get everything in place. When you are dealing with things like launches of multimillion dollar satellites, you need to make sure everything is 100% right, before launching them. Loosing a satellite like as a result of a bad launch or getting it into orbit and having it not work, puts everyone back to the drawing board, and delays projects for years.

I have worked a lot of my life in electronics and I am as anxious as anyone to see everything put into place, but some people have to be a little more patient about it. It is a big undertaking by D*, they are basically rebuilding their entire system. From adding new satellites, to uplinking the signals in a new format, to replacing the receiving equipment at all of its customers sites.

Sorry if I sound like a D* employee, but I am not. I just understand all that is happening with the change over and how critical it is that everything be done right. Some people start ranting every time there is a setback in the project creating a little delay. In a project of this magnitude you have to expect delays. Just look at all the delays that have occured in getting the shuttle back in space. :what

Unfortunately a big obstacle in the way is some HD versions of channels run different programming then the SD counterpart so in essence having 1 feed would be the same as dropping a channel.

Until Discovery and other companies abandon their SD channels don't look for D* to drop them because there would be a huge backlash from the SD people mad that D* dropped their channel.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)