The Blacklist

Touted as being the fall's best new show (something NBC is not known for these days) this is the one show I am really eager to see.

About the Show (from NBC.com)

"For decades, ex-government agent Raymond "Red" Reddington (James Spader, "The Office," "Boston Legal") has been one of the FBI's most wanted fugitives. Brokering shadowy deals for criminals across the globe, Red was known by many as "The Concierge of Crime." Now, he's mysteriously surrendered to the FBI with an explosive offer: He will help catch a long-thought-dead terrorist, Ranko Zamani, under the condition that he speaks only to Elizabeth "Liz" Keen (Megan Boone, "Law & Order: Los Angeles"), an FBI profiler fresh out of Quantico. For Liz, it's going to be one hell of a first day on the job.

What follows is a twisting series of events as the race to stop a terrorist begins. What are Red's true intentions? Why has he chosen Liz, a woman with whom he seemingly has no connection? Does Liz have secrets of her own? Zamani is only the first of many on a list that Red has compiled over the years: a "blacklist" of politicians, mobsters, spies and international terrorists. He will…"

• Love
Reactions: jackfrostenson
Moved. I've created new threads for every new network show. I, too, am looking forward to this one.

S~

Worried that this is going to be weak because it is on NBC. I hope it stands up to 24 or homeland but I doubt it. I hope that I'm totally wrong.

He is a good actor James Spader in this show reminds me of Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter imo :)

Being on NBC , it will most likely not make it. I have a feeling that just about any show on NBC will have trouble since this network is in last place in ratings ,even behind Telemundo .

I liked this show all the way to the point where everything was completely predictable and then became an intricate and telescoping Rube Goldberg machine. The entire introduction of our heroine was just okay, but the whole "home life" crap was insanely inane. There wasn't an original thought in this pilot's story. The disconnect from reality in this pilot was just too much to swallow. Once again, anyone who has ever been to DC knows that security is insanely tight, especially at the national monuments. It is nearly invisible when viewing casually. If you have an RFID chip on someone (which does NOT work the way shown in the show, but let's just say it did) and you know their location and it's at the Lincoln Memorial, there are DOZENS of park police, metro police and other security within sight. Walking down the mall/reflecting pool there would be security coming from all over with no escape no matter who you are or how sneaky.

The character of James Spader plays is "too perfect". He is a Hannibal Lector-type man with an agenda. That the FBI or CIA or whoever would let him walk around free, no matter how much he can offer, is almost too much to believe in the first place.

I rolled my eyes 4 times in this episode and groaned out loud twice. It was a gigantic disappointment. I will not give up on it yet because I still WANT to like it, mostly because I really like James Spader. But I will tell you that if upcoming episodes make me roll my eyes or groan in disbelief like this episode did during most of the second half of the show, I will be forced to remove it from the DVR list.

I liked this show all the way to the point where everything was completely predictable and then became an intricate and telescoping Rube Goldberg machine. The entire introduction of our heroine was just okay, but the whole "home life" crap was insanely inane. There wasn't an original thought in this pilot's story. The disconnect from reality in this pilot was just too much to swallow. Once again, anyone who has ever been to DC knows that security is insanely tight, especially at the national monuments. It is nearly invisible when viewing casually. If you have an RFID chip on someone (which does NOT work the way shown in the show, but let's just say it did) and you know their location and it's at the Lincoln Memorial, there are DOZENS of park police, metro police and other security within sight. Walking down the mall/reflecting pool there would be security coming from all over with no escape no matter who you are or how sneaky.

The character of James Spader plays is "too perfect". He is a Hannibal Lector-type man with an agenda. That the FBI or CIA or whoever would let him walk around free, no matter how much he can offer, is almost too much to believe in the first place.

I rolled my eyes 4 times in this episode and groaned out loud twice. It was a gigantic disappointment. I will not give up on it yet because I still WANT to like it, mostly because I really like James Spader. But I will tell you that if upcoming episodes make me roll my eyes or groan in disbelief like this episode did during most of the second half of the show, I will be forced to remove it from the DVR list.

Haven't watched yet, but this sounds like my wife dissecting 24. She hated the show because it wasn't realistic. Sometimes, you have to let it be just TV and forgive the things that can't be true for entertainment's sake. I'm hoping that'll work for this...I'll report when I have had a chance to watch.

Haven't watched yet, but this sounds like my wife dissecting 24. She hated the show because it wasn't realistic. Sometimes, you have to let it be just TV and forgive the things that can't be true for entertainment's sake. I'm hoping that'll work for this...I'll report when I have had a chance to watch.

I suggested 24 to a friend who was looking for something to watch on Netflix. He emailed last week saying he quit at season 1 episode 8 because its not realistic: reason being, the characters never go to the washroom.

Guess he didnt get the "suspend disbelief" TV memo

Excellent show...I like!

already figured out the show. Quite obvious. I'd post it under a spoiler tag but I have no clue how its done.

Reddington is Keen's mising father. Why else would he have an "interest" in her, know her personal life etc Besides, while Keen was self-profiling herself, she did mention all her personality traits which could make her a master criminal..ie- 2 pears from the same pot.

Last edited:

I haven't had time to watch the pilot yet ,but I did see the trailer and I said the same thing about the Hannibal Lector character . Even the FBI agent he would only talk to was just like Jodie Foster's character Clarise ,down to the accent and the way she sounded and looked. If the show is anything like my first impression of the trailer, I will not be watching,even though I like James Spader.

Suspension of disbelief is something I can do easily. However it has to make sense within the universe of the program. IOW, I have no problem with Iron Man flying around in the Marvel universe. I have no problems with space aliens in a sci-fi universe. I do have a problem when something does not fit within the story's universe though. Making the FBI/CIA, whatever, look like the keystone cops within a "present day" universe is something I have a very hard time overlooking. The other thing I have a hard time overlooking is a bad cliché. The entire portion dealing with the little girl, from the time the mitigation began to the climactic scene, I was literally saying out loud what was going to happen and even dialog 30 seconds to a minute before it happened. I was driving the person watching the program with me crazy. She was convinced I had seen the show before. I hadn't so much as seen a trailer for the show!

There is only so far I will allow suspension of disbelief stretch. But when that suspension also requires suffering through a tired cliché, the combination turns me off.

Once again, I will give the show it's fair viewing before I decide whether to continue watching or not.

BTW, since I watched this show first, and I was disappointed, I decided to wait on watching Hostages since I did not want to color my opinion of that show with the feelings carried over from this program.

Having watched this show, it kinda reminded me of Alcatraz (Fox), every episode will be to catch another bad guy (from a list).

I´m also kinda surprised that being NBC, this one was top on the ratings ahead of Castle and Hostages.

Last edited:
Suspension of disbelief is something I can do easily. However it has to make sense within the universe of the program. IOW, I have no problem with Iron Man flying around in the Marvel universe. I have no problems with space aliens in a sci-fi universe. I do have a problem when something does not fit within the story's universe though. Making the FBI/CIA, whatever, look like the keystone cops within a "present day" universe is something I have a very hard time overlooking. The other thing I have a hard time overlooking is a bad cliché. The entire portion dealing with the little girl, from the time the mitigation began to the climactic scene, I was literally saying out loud what was going to happen and even dialog 30 seconds to a minute before it happened. I was driving the person watching the program with me crazy. She was convinced I had seen the show before. I hadn't so much as seen a trailer for the show!

There is only so far I will allow suspension of disbelief stretch. But when that suspension also requires suffering through a tired cliché, the combination turns me off.

Once again, I will give the show it's fair viewing before I decide whether to continue watching or not.

BTW, since I watched this show first, and I was disappointed, I decided to wait on watching Hostages since I did not want to color my opinion of that show with the feelings carried over from this program.

I don't find this show any different than the CSIs, Criminals Minds, NCIS', etc. I couldn't watch any of those shows until I decided to check the common sense and life's experiences at the front door.