the Dish 2016 predictions thread: Post your predictions here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This has been the most comical thread I have read in a long time. Thanks for the laughs guys. :D

We are just over a week away. DISH will introduce its new stuff next Tuesday. :D
I heard a new Scott Gut App was coming out. It'd be able to predict certain outcomes, sports / sitcoms. Only available of The Quantum Hopper, though.

I wonder if the PTA, would be more then Just the locals...
Obviously it would have to be. See bobvick's response too.

The "virtual" tuners just work if what you want to record happens to all be on the same transponder. I.E, if you wanted to record HBO, Showtime, TBS, and ESPN and use only tuner "A" all of those services would be on 1 for instance and none could be on transponder 2 or you would be using two tuners.
Exactly correct. It would all depend on what someone would want to record. In some cases, people could get up to (16) virtual tuners while in some cases, they may be stuck with less. The way Dish could market it is "up to 16 recordings at the same time".

Reactions: Troch77
It's a prediction.
Doesn't need to be analyzed.
But you also seem to forget, Dish carries RSNS in plenty of other DMAs.
It's not like Dish doesn't currently have any RSNs.
They Have Multiple RSNs in a Number of markets.

So Just because Directv does something, doesn't mean Dish has to do the same.

OK, so I guess I can predict that the sky will turn black this year and get a free pass on that? After all, it's just a prediction and doesn't need to be analyzed. :devilish

Seriously, I highly doubt we see YES or SNY back on DISH unless the price gets really, really cheap for DISH (at which case DirecTV or any service that carries YES will want to renegotiate) or that DISH adopts the DirecTV model and charges extra for RSNs. It's all about money with these companies so if one gets a big break over the other, then they will all want it.

And if we do see YES or SNY back, I will be the first to notice since they would be my RSNs. Personally, I would rather have MSG over YES or SNY for Sabres games but I don't see that happening either. So I won't predict it. :shh

Can't see Dish accepting a local sports-only network as part of a national carriage deal for FOX.

Maybe FOX / YES will give the network (YES) to Dish for free as part of a package and this is acceptable to YES given the # of potential viewers it exposes them to. In reality, I can't see FOX / YES doing that but it may be all that Dish will accept.

If that worked, it would have happened with AMC and MSG in the last AMC deal. That was likely the last best chance to get MSG back but I guess we'll have to wait until the current AMC deal expires again in a few years. Still hoping the Pegulas launch their own sports network in this area. I maintain they have enough content for it with all the teams they own in Buffalo and upstate NY.

He/she isn't even the 1st person to report that it would have that many. Someone else, if not two people, said the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Many of us suggested that it could be (16) virtual tuners (4 tuners with all of them having psuedo-PTAT functionality), although still probably difficult to pull off due to HDD limitations.

Perhaps this is the same person or two people that have reported "16 tuners" and that is why they are a "new" member. If I recall correctly, the other one or two folks also had these "deep inside sources" as well feeding this line. I don't believe there is anything to 16 tuners or Scott would have probably lent some credence to it, since I am sure he knows much more than he can say.

Perhaps this is the same person or two people that have reported "16 tuners" and that is why they are a "new" member. If I recall correctly, the other one or two folks also had these "deep inside sources" as well feeding this line. I don't believe there is anything to 16 tuners or Scott would have probably lent some credence to it, since I am sure he knows much more than he can say.
Well Scott isn't saying it's Not 16 tuners.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I'm sure the people who know can't say.

The problem is that the people who know absolutely nothing about it are saying the most. I believe that if you don't know what you're talking about you're better off not talking. I can't wait to see some words eaten. :biggrin

I believe the new hopper will be good enough to get the "upgrade train" rolling again. However I bet we don't see a big rush of people turning off their 2nd, 3rd or 4th hoppers.

Anyone who knows can say neither "yes, it has 16 tuners" nor "no, it doesn't". Either answer would be giving out into that they shouldn't give.

Just to be clear, I really don't care how many it has... I'm just speculating, discussing, etc along with everyone else.

. However I bet we don't see a big rush of people turning off their 2nd, 3rd or 4th hoppers.

Well I'm pretty sure the cost increase already would support that analysis.
Grandfathered DVR ,Hopper and Joeys fees would turn most customers away from Upgrading.

But IMO Dish needs to worry about bringing customers in. PERIOD.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The "virtual" tuners just work if what you want to record happens to all be on the same transponder. I.E, if you wanted to record HBO, Showtime, TBS, and ESPN and use only tuner "A" all of those services would be on 1 for instance and none could be on transponder 2 or you would be using two tuners.
There is likely a practical limit to the number (and percentage) of transponders that can be simultaneously processed by the PTAT hardware. That limit may well be one half.

Grandfathered DVR ,Hopper and Joeys fees would turn most customers away from Upgrading.
Dish is more than content if everyone just keeps their current hardware for as long as possible (unless there's a technical reason that a swap is needed). Dish never encourages upgrades, as in making offers to existing customers to get new hardware.

I predict PAIN...
PAIN for subscriber fee increases,
PAIN for subscriber billing issues,
PAIN for subscriber customer service issues,
PAIN for subscriber 'network/provider' disputes/blackouts,
PAIN
PAIN
PAIN

There is likely a practical limit to the number (and percentage) of transponders that can be simultaneously processed by the PTAT hardware. That limit may well be one half.
Not if Dish employs the use of the latest in technology like Higgs Boson based processors which would add more weight to the power of the processing unit. And lets not forget nano-technology options to narrow each stream virtual nanotubes, which would be small enough to stream 4, 6, maybe even 8 arbitrary signals into a transponder.

And my source at Dish tells me the new Quantum Satellite that Dish is developing will be so far advanced, we'll be able to receive its signal even before it is launched!

SCIENCE!

Reactions: Stormy_2021
Dish should implement Ethernet or fiber from the lnb to a central box inside. They could even install the tuners either at the lnb or hub. The wireless internet units run Ethernet cable outside to the unit that has the radio on board, and is also powered over Ethernet. It could even then be made wireless to all TV's in the house.

A while back I had mentioned that they could implement PTA to the most popular channels and add tuners dedicated to this process. They can use one tuner for many channels that people watch.

my source at Dish tells me the new Quantum Satellite that Dish is developing will be so far advanced, we'll be able to receive its signal even before it is launched!
and my source at Dish tells me that they will start beaming channels straight into subscribers brains...

once they work out the cancer-bug...
and mild headaches...

Boomhead2.gif

The history of how DISH works tells me four tuners for a new Hopper is about the limit they will go, not counting OTA. As I and others have posted there could be four transponders per tuner available to record and where the 16 comes from. On the outside, 6 tuners, three with four transponders and OTA gives you 16, if 16 is even the number.

Dish is more than content if everyone just keeps their current hardware for as long as possible (unless there's a technical reason that a swap is needed). Dish never encourages upgrades, as in making offers to existing customers to get new hardware.
Never and unless there's a reason shouldn't be in the same paragraph.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts