The Dish April 1st New HD Saga (Merged Threads)

"Currently, DISH Network and Viacom, the owner of these channels, are working to finalize the launch of these HD channels."

I read this as both companies working on a solution to launch channels that one of them owns. If the problem were of a technical nature, wouldn't it just be Dish Network working to resolve the problem? By no means am I a techie, so I may be looking at this without my glasses on...

It could be the theory floating around that Viacom is having problems getting the BET HD feed to E*, and may be trying to get around the packaged deal wording.

"Currently, DISH Network and Viacom, the owner of these channels, are working to finalize the launch of these HD channels."

I read this as both companies working on a solution to launch channels that one of them owns. If the problem were of a technical nature, wouldn't it just be Dish Network working to resolve the problem? By no means am I a techie, so I may be looking at this without my glasses on...

This is how marking works. Information without any information......

How would the feed Viacom sends to D* differ from the feed that they would be trying to send to E*?

Others have said that BET-HD isn't on any other services; i.e. it's a new channel.

The e-mail you received seems like it might be genuine; problem is that it gives no indication as to what the nature of the delay might be.

This is the reason why Directv is the #1 Satellite provider. Dish seems to be following Sirius XM. Everything just crumbling around them.
Everytime you turn around Dish is about to drop programming because of a dispute. Now they promise HD channels by a certain date and they dont deliver.
HD fans go ahead and move on over to Directv.

Amen brother.

People are getting blown up in wars, starving to death, have no homes, etc., etc., etc. around the world and folks here are bent out of shape 'cause they didn't get a few lousy channels added in HD that they were PROMISED on time.:rolleyes: Give me a break.

Ed

There must be a forum for your somewhere. Obviously this is not it. Get Lost!
Try the Billy Graham channel.

Dish Network executive office said:
We realize that in today’s competitive world you have a choice in services.
Ouch ! I guess any implied "threat" in the original e-mail didn't phase them ! :D

Below is an official reply from Dish Network that I just received via email:
Dear Mr. Jackson,

Thank you for your email expressing concern about the additional Viacom HD channels that were referred to in the Charlie Chat. Currently, DISH Network and Viacom, the owner of these channels, are working to finalize the launch of these HD channels.

We realize that in today’s competitive world you have a choice in services. We thank you for your continued business and support.

Sincerely,

Thank you

Angeline Xxxxxx
Executive Communication
DISH Network Corporation

In other words. "Don't let the door hit you on the way out!!!!!!"

As I repeat ad nauseam, when they show up in the program guide, it matters. Promises are just words. People need to get over it...

But words are what separates humans from animals. If the words mean nothing, why are they posing as human?

Can digi check the stream and see if we're showing some bandwith yet?

Still looks like slates from here due to the almost static and small amount of bandwidth.

So I would say the uplink side is ready with the encoders configured. Now is master feed being received at the uplink center? That's the million dollar question.....

the truth

the marketing tactics dish uses are just plain stupid. They set a date and say they will be launching these new channels. people who have directv or cable will call dish and subscribe because they think they will be getting the channels. Its just like those things you get in the mail from the car dealerships saying that if your number matched, you get a free tv or a $200 gas gift card, then you go there and they "ran out of them".

Its just a big fake promise for you to buy thier products.

America is in such a deep recesion because companies no longer care about people, they care about money. They will do what they can to make sure you buy thier products. Thats why I try to shop at little stores for car parts or home stuff, they may not have the greatest prices, but the good service keeps you coming back for more.

They started to get so cheap, we moved most of the labor force to china and mexico, when we buy something here, the money doesnt support us, it supports china, they have no, I repeat no absolutley what-so-ever quality contorl over there, why do you think they recalled a bunch of toys for lead paint, or breaking parts, they have no quailty standards.

I make sure most of my stuff is american made, buying stuff made in china supports china, why do you think they went from such a poverished country to one of the worlds wealtheist country? Its all the money we give them.

Now we borrow money from them?!?!? ?Who came up with that stupid logic? We owe them so much money, and they have such a larger army then us, they could just march over here and wipe us out and move in!
Why do you think dish keeps dropping channels? They are too cheap to pay the contracts. They dont care if you are angry, they dont care about you, they care about the money you send them.

I had dish a couple years ago and got rid of it, they dont spend the money to train people, they just give them a little slip of paper for them to ask you questions. I called them once because my receiver was displaying a message ive never seen, they asked me if my TV was on. OF COURSE its on, how else could i see the message?!

They are to cheap to even keep call centers on the USA. They outsourced a bunch of them to india. I hated wating on hold for a half an hour just to speak to someone that had such a thick accent i couldnt understand them, or didnt know much english.

Thats why i went to directv. Sure , they might have higher prices, but it feels good to know that 9 times out of 10 when I call I get a rep in less then 5 minutes, that know what the heck they are talking about and dont have an indian accent. When my receiver went out, they sent me a new one, no questions asked.

I think we all should just boycott dish, and when they dry up and wonder what went wrong we can all get a little laugh out of them.

So I would say the uplink side is ready with the encoders configured.
That statement bothers me. I seriously doubt that content providers are sending uncompressed video around the country. I am going to presume they send mpeg-2 HD video just like OTA broadcasters "enjoy." Otherwise, if it were already mpeg-4, such as that used exclusively for Dish HD, then there would be no "encoder" at Dish to configure.

So, let's think about that for a moment. Dish has statistical mpeg-4 encoders capable of real-time compression and shoe-horning onto a single transponder. But what about Viacom? They have most if not all content stored somewhere (on film?) well in advance of the actual broadcast. This means they don't need real-time encoders. They could buy the best (defined by most compressed w/best quality) encoders available and take hours to encode a single 1-hr program, if necessary. Then, they could use their own satellite or fiber bandwidth more efficiently, and push several more channels over the same pipe, not even taking into account mpeg-4 vs mpeg-2.

If they're already mpeg-4, then Dish would not need real-time encoders at all, since (1) they cost big $'s and (2) programming won't be as well compressed as the feed they get from content providers. See where I'm going here?

In summary, content providers and Dish Network both have a big incentive to move the encoders back into the content providers' head ends. That's assuming they're willing to go mpeg-4 on their HD content.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts