The end of Directv

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
That’s a cell phone. That is different. You said you had 5G home service which tops out at 940Mbps.

There is a easy way to handle this, go to speed test and publish the results here.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
Reactions: osu1991
At home all I have is a 200/10Mbps connection which I’d be willing to bet would be more than enough for 95% of residential customers. I also checked my iPhone 11 today and got 246/23.3Mbps which again for the vast majority will be more then enough for just about everyone. IMHO most of the 5G hype is just so they can sell you new phones and pay for a service you probably don’t need.

More like 99.9%

At home all I have is a 200/10Mbps connection which I’d be willing to bet would be more than enough for 95% of residential customers. I also checked my iPhone 11 today and got 246/23.3Mbps which again for the vast majority will be more then enough for just about everyone. IMHO most of the 5G hype is just so they can sell you new phones and pay for a service you probably don’t need.

I’m on 200/20 and it is more than I need. Only bumped to that speed as data caps are tiered with my provider.

Reactions: Rey
I’m on 200/20 and it is more than I need. Only bumped to that speed as data caps are tiered with my provider.

‘I have 1G from Comcast, it is only $15 more then 300, $5 more then 600 so why not get their fastest when the dollar difference is so little, also no data cap with xFi Advantage.

Reactions: Rey and dhpeeple1
‘I have 1G from Comcast, it is only $15 more then 300, $5 more then 600 so why not get their fastest when the dollar difference is so little, also no data cap with xFi Advantage.
With that logic, why not spend more when I really don’t need it, why do folks scream when Dish or DiRECTV raise their rates $5.00 a month? Unless you are doing a bunch of BIG file transfers you won’t notice a difference since most hosting services aren’t configuring servers to give a single user that much bandwith.

I have been slowly upgrading TVs in my house...so currently, I have a 75" 4K Samsung and just got a 55" 4K samsung last week for my master BR...
I have been sorta slow in doing this, as I've had the fiber since October...and only got the 75" 4K back in February...wasn't really worried with the difference between 1080 and 4K ....just isn't enough to warrant jumping into several new TVs at once.. (there are currently 5 TVs that view TV shows, and 2 TVs that I use for PC monitor but also can be viewed as TVs).
All the rest are still 1080..even my PC dual monitor setups are 1080..

As for internet...I think I'm a part of the .001% that really uses the sh*t out of my internet.

The screenshot is of my billing the past few months...it varies but usually at least 1TB of data. I came from AT&T DSL, with a 6mbps connection on download (and 0.5mbps upload)..so the jump into actually having internet is great. Since being upgraded, I've started doing livestreams every few days..at least 2 a week...and I also do a panel livestream that goes for 5 hours straight once every couple weeks for an extreme terror experience called "Caedis Silvis"...

I was doing a little video editing..still do some but only for a single church (I record the services, bring that recording home, encode it with a title / etc then I upload it to a Youtube channel for them as they can't get any internet, AT ALL, at the location of the church)...

All in all, aside from the stuff that I do that I really can't talk much about..I also preview and look for bugs in network equipment. Most of that requires that the device -- router, camera, AP, thermostat, whatever -- just be connected and certain tasks are done during a test phase to insure there are no bugs.

I have really made my network somewhat bigger than it really has to be...I have a true router (not a walmart special...a dual-wan TPLink router with some more in-depth stuff than normal consumer stuff has)..and I actually have the dual-wan set with my daughters fiber connection next door...but it's all on the same fiber line that feeds the area. Just if something happens to my fiber, I wall fall over to her internet...using some Ubiquiti NSM5 for that signal between us.

Then I have a Ubiquit 8XP switch from that TPlink router...and a netgear orbi also from that router as the AP for wifi. Then, I added a 16p Netgear Prosafe switch with 8 POE and 8 regular ports...and so far, 5 of the 8 regular non-POE ports are used.
I have a cat6 ran to my bedroom, where I have another 8 port gigabit unmanaged switch and 6 of the 8 ports in use (Ps4, AirTV, Dish HWS, Sprint Airvana LTE, Roku 4k, and Samsung 4k TV...

My devices that hit the Netgear Orbi are counted currently at..32. Once my kids can have their phones and ps4s back .....since they got caught smoking and have been grounded..that number goes up by 4 more...to 36. 2 more phones, 2 more Ps4s ...

so...I have 36 devices between wireless and wired. And I really need to redo my network as it's not segmented as it should be...and I need to study up on my networking (each router is separated like, 192.168.1.1 for Orbi... 192.168.2.1 for my TomatoUSB router, 192.168.0.1 for my TPLink Dual-wan...)

Attachments

• fiber-usage.PNG
    fiber-usage.PNG
    9.9 KB · Views: 293
With that logic, why not spend more when I really don’t need it, why do folks scream when Dish or DiRECTV raise their rates $5.00 a month? Unless you are doing a bunch of BIG file transfers you won’t notice a difference since most hosting services aren’t configuring servers to give a single user that much bandwith.
Yeah ....

Of course the traditional rationale providers offer for their 1G internet service is capacity not for just a single user, but the additive effects of lots of simultaneous streaming, gaming (and now services like Zoom going on), and connected IOT devices on top of the routine internet traffic of people web surfing and doing email.

But I wonder in such rare occurrences, how much bandwidth even all these services going on together in a home really require?

Have AT&T Fiber's 1G up/dwn. service right now, but only because they're offering a $39.95/mo. deal on it for a year, which equaled the normal cost of my previous 100/100 service tier from them. ....

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

940 mbps really thats verizon setting a minimum standard depends the the carrier what band spectrum there using device etc etc the whole home is a whole different animal for some reason... 5g starts at 1 gig down and tops out at 20 gbps research it. I had a moto z3 on Verizon and could not hit over 700 maps. I got the Sammy most of the time I hit close to 2 gbps!!@

Why won't you post proof of your 18 Gbps connection?

You do realize the theoretical maximum in a controlled lab environment is going to be nowhere near why you actually get? On a smartphone, 2 Gbps when connected to n270 and n271 while being outdoors within eyesight of the node is certainly possible. So much for that 20 Gbps, right? There is no defined speed for 5G, T-Mobile's lowband n71 is tops out at around 200 Mbps real world currently.

Unless AT&T dedicates a couple wireless bands to these boxes, and rolls the price of data into the monthly cost, they’re going to find few customers for this service. If I have to get internet through my cable company already, and their cable tv costs are close to equal what AT&T tv costs, plus my cable company doesn’t have a contract, why would I not just go with the cable company for everything? Or go with a cheaper, contract free option like Hulu or YouTube.

From a post back in 2004 when Claude posted this same pic: "Here is the scoop. Regular traffic stop. Had old legal issue and was released within 3 hours. Vehicle was picked up by DNSC employee."

I love that picture.

I think I’m going to get Christmas cards made up with that picture abs send then to Dish upper management.

• Sad
Reactions: NYDutch
The people that were working at the local Costco are no lo\nger there, they took the 3rd party D* people out of therea month or so ago.
Thats what I've found LOCALLY ...
You are correct. They are not longer in my Costco either. The booth was still there but no more TV or receiver, theres now a sign hanging where the TV was with a number to call to sign up for AT&T TV. Sad. *sigh*

You are correct. They are not longer in my Costco either. The booth was still there but no more TV or receiver, theres now a sign hanging where the TV was with a number to call to sign up for AT&T TV. Sad. *sigh*
Not Sad .... its smart ...

TRhgere was a whole lot of false information given out thru them ....

Also, they have nothing to do with ATT.

Reactions: comp9
Not Sad .... its smart ...

TRhgere was a whole lot of false information given out thru them ....

Also, they have nothing to do with ATT.

Yes, I think the company was smart circle or something.

They would always bug the crap out of me when I was at Menards or Costco.

Easiest way to get them out of your hair is to tell then you have 8 televisions and give them an address you know does not provide AT&T internet

The minute you say 8 televisions, it’s no longer a free install and screws up their sales pitch as everything they do revolves around everything being free.

They will either give up at that point, or try to talk you into getting 4 rooms.

Being that I’m in the industry, I just keep on asking them about things I know they don’t offer.

When I run into a Dish guy and he asks for my favorite channels I always say HBO and Fox regional sports. They either say they don’t have it and it’s game over, or will lie about having it.

Yes, I think the company was smart circle or something.

They would always bug the crap out of me when I was at Menards or Costco.

Easiest way to get them out of your hair is to tell then you have 8 televisions and give them an address you know does not provide AT&T internet

The minute you say 8 televisions, it’s no longer a free install and screws up their sales pitch as everything they do revolves around everything being free.

They will either give up at that point, or try to talk you into getting 4 rooms.

Being that I’m in the industry, I just keep on asking them about things I know they don’t offer.

When I run into a Dish guy and he asks for my favorite channels I always say HBO and Fox regional sports. They either say they don’t have it and it’s game over, or will lie about having it.

Seems like it would just be a lot easier to just say that you're not interested or that you already have services with them.

Seems like it would just be a lot easier to just say that you're not interested or that you already have services with them.

It is and is what I do with all sales people unless I am actually interested in what they are pushing. Works every time. I don’t owe them any explanation or reason for not being interested.

Reactions: longhorn23
Unless AT&T dedicates a couple wireless bands to these boxes, and rolls the price of data into the monthly cost, they’re going to find few customers for this service. If I have to get internet through my cable company already, and their cable tv costs are close to equal what AT&T tv costs, plus my cable company doesn’t have a contract, why would I not just go with the cable company for everything? Or go with a cheaper, contract free option like Hulu or YouTube.

Yeah, good question. Which is why I've been saying that the great majority of those who take AT&T TV will be those who bundle it with AT&T home broadband.

I can also see some DTV customers switching over to it, given that they already have a relationship in place with AT&T and given that AT&T TV has basically the same channel packages (and even the same channel numbers) but with a bit lower prices and a more modern box that runs streaming apps. (Meanwhile, DTV's Genie DVRs are dated relics from the pre-streaming era.)

But the vast majority of folks who want full-scale cable TV with a dedicated box and remote are just going to get it from their broadband provider, whether that's Comcast, Charter, Verizon, Cox, etc. A few of those folks will find something specific about AT&T TV that they like better than the TV service their broadband provider offers, but not many. Not many.

I think you guys that are tying yourselves to the Sunday Ticket are going to be sorely disappointed when the agreement runs out and the NFL launches it's own streaming service, team by team.

Reactions: navychop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)