The End of SportsCenter: ESPN’s Flagship Show Hits Bottom

Me too. Those stupid scrolls have ruined the viewing experience of games for me. I can't stand them.

Same here,I like to delay most sporting events,basically to skip commercials,trying not to ruin the scores of another game I may have recorded,is next to impossible.

Same here,I like to delay most sporting events,basically to skip commercials,trying not to ruin the scores of another game I may have recorded,is next to impossible.

hey i do the same thing. you'll go through a game so much quicker,just gotta be disciplined enough not to look down. just tell yourself,out loud " if you look at the bottom of the screen i'm going to rip your freaking eyes out with a fork". :eek:

It use to watch it all the time but not anymore

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Me too. Those stupid scrolls have ruined the viewing experience of games for me. I can't stand them.

Same here....

As for the stupid scrolls, I hate them too, unfortunately most other channels are doing that too now ... I HATE it.

Can't even watch the News without having a ticker with OTHER news scrolling.

Hello Networks ... you out there.
I bought a 60" TV for a reason, I'd like to have 60"s of the show I'm actually watching, not the bottom taken away by useless info cluttering the screen.

And ESPN went even farther ... I use to watch Mike and Mike in the Morning, then when they went HD, they decided to add a 1/4 of the side screen with garbage taking away the full HD picture ...
Since then others have followed suit.

I think ESPN should turn the clock back 15-20 years and do the Ticker at the top and bottom of the hour, or even 15 after and 45 after, but NOT constant.

Last edited:
Just thought about trying something.... maybe I will go out and get black cardboard or something like that and attach it to the bottom of the screen to block the ticker out.

Hmmm ...
Have to figure out what would work best.

Kinda like when MTV stopped playing music videos and became low rent reality TV.

MTV has stopped playing music videos? When did that happen? ;)

They play them in the early morning.

Same here....

As for the stupid scrolls, I hate them too, unfortunately most other channels are doing that too now ... I HATE it.

Can't even watch the News without having a ticker with OTHER news scrolling.

Hello Networks ... you out there.
I bought a 60" TV for a reason, I'd like to have 60"s of the show I'm actually watching, not the bottom taken away by useless info cluttering the screen.

And ESPN went even farther ... I use to watch Mike and Mike in the Morning, then when they went HD, they decided to add a 1/4 of the side screen with garbage taking away the full HD picture ...
Since then others have followed suit.

I think ESPN should turn the clock back 15-20 years and do the Ticker at the top and bottom of the hour, or even 15 after and 45 after, but NOT constant.

I agree. The bottom line ticker annoys me. I cant concentrate on the game sometimes because of all the different scores.

Just thought about trying something.... maybe I will go out and get black cardboard or something like that and attach it to the bottom of the screen to block the ticker out.

Hmmm ...

Thats actually a good idea!

It's interesting that articles like this that are critical of Sportscenter seem to appear during slow periods like this in the sports world (between the SB and March Madness). They, and the other sports networks have a lot of time to fill and there's bound to be programming content seen as filler.

If you don't find it worth watching, don't watch!!!

Exactly!
That's the problem with sportscenter,more and more people are finding it not worth watching.;)

Yet, a lot of those same people (especially the sports media blogs) do watch to tell you how bad it's supposedly become. Looks like they've got nothing better to report on either...

I understand what your saying but lets face it, ESPN's pandering with Lebron James and especially Tim Tebow is a bit much.

Hmmm ...

I have actually threatened sticking some electrical tape at the bottom of the screen for the very same reason.Might even clean the screen a bit.

the tickers.. have learned over time to ignore them kinda like ads on the net.
but once every couple of weeks the eye see a word and oh back it up to see what it was 9 out 10 times it's something i knew already that's the pisser for me.
needed: a app that lets you move the picture down/stretch to rid us of this mess.
remember old b&w TV's had a adjustments in the back to change the height that would work.

the tickers.. have learned over time to ignore them kinda like ads on the net.
but once every couple of weeks the eye see a word and oh back it up to see what it was 9 out 10 times it's something i knew already that's the pisser for me.
needed: a app that lets you move the picture down/stretch to rid us of this mess.
remember old b&w TV's had a adjustments in the back to change the height that would work.

Some high end TV's can do that, it's basically for Overscan, but as you move the bottom down, you also drop the top of the picture as well.

Some high end TV's can do that, it's basically for Overscan, but as you move the bottom down, you also drop the top of the picture as well.

Plus we shouldn't have to do that every time we want to watch a sports program. The whole ticker is stupid and should be banished.

Red Green had a great idea for the ticker

find an old VCR...the top loader model
hit eject

of course most VCR's are gone or are smaller than our TV's so we'd need 2 or 3 of them to cover the whole ticker

I've gotten to the point where I don't love the tickers, but I've learned to deal with them. When I do delay watch, or record a game (which isn't often) there usually isn't another game I'm concerned about ruining the result of. In fact, a lot of times I appreciate the ability to be kept up-to-date on scores and news without having to grab another device.

To each his own, I guess....

You think with Apps, Internet, Androids etc. that there would be no tickers and you could look for scores on the internet. You basically find a score to the exact second, why would need a ticker? Although I will say I was a sucker for the old nfl tickers that used to be on nfl games. I think it was "CBS Sportswire" and "The 10 Minute Ticker" for NBC games.

I gave on on SportsCrap when Stu Scott and his "boo-yah" BS constantly...oh and when it turned into NBA blab session

ESPN is for PTI (which I like), Nascar and the odd local college/pro sporting team event

Only ESPN that I watch is the L.A edition at 10pm local time.. Live from L.A Live!!

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

To be fair, they use a lot of things well. I mean they do an excellent job on college sports especially now. I mean ESPN3 has all these first and second round games of the conference tourneys if your into that. I like that a lot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts