The End of VOOM?

Lucky said:
Most of the HDNEWS anchors are gone. The people have doing HDNEWS now are Cablevision's local anchors from their NEWS 12 Long Island Cable channel. I am sure these people are already on their payroll.

Just a question, how did you reach this conclusion? I turned o HDnews last night and today and saw the same anchors.

Sean Mota said:
Just a question, how did you reach this conclusion? I turned o HDnews last night and today and saw the same anchors.

Sean, some people sometimes fail to think before they speak. Did Lucky ever consider this is a weekend and just maybe, maybe the anchors get a day off once in a while? Just an innocent oversight or too quick a judgment call on Lucky's behalf. :) I don't think "the sky is falling,! the sky is falling! " at least not yet.

just how dumb is james dolan???

we all know that james lacks his fathers vision. wonder what he thinks the next thing is going to be that will be able to generate revenue in the potential that voom might be able to generate in other 5yrs. but i just did a quick search on superpages and found this

http://directory.superpages.com/wp/...=james&WL=dolan&T=oyster+bay&S=NY&search=Find

at least is father is smart enough to have unlisted info.

hbk409 said:
we all know that james lacks his fathers vision. wonder what he thinks the next thing is going to be that will be able to generate revenue in the potential that voom might be able to generate in other 5yrs. but i just did a quick search on superpages and found this

http://directory.superpages.com/wp/...=james&WL=dolan&T=oyster+bay&S=NY&search=Find

at least is father is smart enough to have unlisted info.

Considering they are both next door neighbors, It is not too difficult to know where the old man lives

rtt2 said:
Considering they are both next door neighbors, It is not too difficult to know where the old man lives

no its not difficult to know his address but at least he doesnt have his home phone number out for everyone to see. Just think how many people can call james at home and tell them how they feel. At least the father being unlist you could just write him a letter

Indy said:
I believe Voom is going to lease space back from Echostar on Rainbow 1 while they transition their Voom programming over to the AMC 6 sat where they have 11 transponders leased.
What is the cost of changing 26,000 dishes and reaiming them to AMC-6?

If it cost Voom $7600 per subscriber it would cost less to do the reaim than to keep Rainbow1. The dish for AMC-6 would need to be bigger and have a different LNB. It isn't an issue of just turning the Rainbow1 dish a few degrees. Possible, but unlikely.

I'm waiting for the class action lawsuit from all of the Voom subs that purchased their equipment outright with the (still continuing) expectation that Voom would stay in business. Voom has STILL not notified the customers that the service is approaching termination or is even at risk of being terminated. They need to do that immediately. Even if a miracle happens and the stay on the air, they need to be honest about the possibility that Voom is going away.

JL

justalurker said:
Voom has STILL not notified the customers that the service is approaching termination or is even at risk of being terminated. They need to do that immediately. Even if a miracle happens and the stay on the air, they need to be honest about the possibility that Voom is going away.

JL

Perhaps the reason is that VOOM is not going away...at least as most of you think of it as going away. Perhaps Charles and Tom Dolan have a little of General McCarther in them. "I shall return."

gutter said:
Perhaps the reason is that VOOM is not going away...at least as most of you think of it as going away. Perhaps Charles and Tom Dolan have a little of General McCarther in them. "I shall return."
It would be more like "Pickett's Charge". :D

justalurker said:
What is the cost of changing 26,000 dishes and reaiming them to AMC-6?

If it cost Voom $8 per subscriber it would cost MORE to do the reaim than to keep Rainbow1. How many Voom customers would lay out another $100 to get a new dish installed? The dish for AMC-6 would need to be bigger and have a different LNB. It isn't an issue of just turning the Rainbow1 dish a few degrees.

I'm waiting for the class action lawsuit from all of the Voom subs that purchased their equipment outright with the (still continuing) expectation that Voom would stay in business. Voom has STILL not notified the customers that the service is approaching termination or is even at risk of being terminated. They need to do that immediately. Even if a miracle happens and the stay on the air, they need to be honest about the possibility that Voom is going away.

JL

You might be right about the bigger dish. I have several old Primestar dishes I use for FTA KU aimed at different satellites. They are about 3' wide and 24" tall. This seems to be the minimum size for a dish using the 10750 Mhz LNB. Maybe they can crank the power up on the satellite transponders? Doubtful but just a thought.

justalurker said:

JL

Hmm, the customer service agreement for both service and equipment has a lot of statements in it limiting Vooms liability and stating that programming changes (including deletions of channels and packages) is at their sole discretion. It also states that disputes are subject to individual arbitration (without resort to any form of class action), which the courts generally uphold. And given Voom's market share and competition, it's seems like it would be hard to make a compelling argument that Voom had some unfair advantage so that the court should hear a case despite this clause.

Sean Mota said:
Guys,

I do not think there is much left here.

... Don't wait until the last minute because you won't see any more investment on Voom 21 channels. You will probably see repeated content until the death of the signal happens. Would you pay your monthly premium to something that does not give you anymore new content?

Sadly, I just joined VOOM about 2 weeks ago, and I'm tied in for 6 months, or until death do us part...
-NICK

Just signed up for Voom

I've read all the posts but I figured for $1 installation, what the heck? I called today and talked to the CSR about the sale. She read me a pre-scripted memo regarding the sale to Dish stating they will continue providing service for now. I'm hoping that if Voom does go away that I'll be able to use the OTA antenna. Does anyone know how big (shape) this antenna is and will it work without Voom?

Thanks.

I think there is a chance

gutter said:

anyway I will take the positive approach until proven otherwise

What About?

What about the boxes, dishes, and antennas? I wonder if they will abandon all the equipment and if so will we still be able to receive local HD channels through it? Or will they kill the box on the way out the door? :mad:

I hope we get news soon as to what's really happening.....what options we will have....so we can figure out how much more we have to pay out!

Don't count on it. I have been trying to disconnect for months. Finally after 7 appointments they picked up the box.

The the bill for $400/receiver is still on my account and VOOM has not removed it.

VOOM will bill each and every renter $400 to their credit card unless you can get the box back to them. And $400 x 26,000 subs = $10,400,000. do you think they want the boxes or the cash? Good luck!

Perhaps the $1 per receiver give away was an elaborate scheme to bill all of you $400 for a $50 piece of junk box.

First of all, not all subscribers rented their boxes.

Secondly, you could probably get your credit card company to reverse the charge due to non delivery of content.

Sure you could but if you know apriori that this is happening, then you are committing fraud by trying to keep property that you do not own. I am not sure the credit card company would go along with this.

By guess is that since the VOOM subsribers are worth about 30 million to them in assets, that they will sell the list to whomever. That provider, I assume you, could pick up the equipment when they replace it with theirs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts