The End of VOOM?

SactoCal said:
This:
Cablevision nears deal to sell satellite unit

Cablevision Systems is close to announcing a deal to sell the assets of its money-losing Voom satellite service to EchoStar Communications, which will shut down the service, according to people familiar with the matter.

http://www.nj.com/business/ledger/index.ssf?/base/business-8/110629052787960.xml

Why are we posting old storeis with the same info that was on last night and repeated and repeated and repeated.

lostcause said:
kelljc, ok I got the launch vehicle info for you.

They were both dropped off by the cow that jumped over the moon.
HEy Lostcause you wouldn't happen to have a picture of that would you? LOL

gutter said:
Why are we posting old storeis with the same info that was on last night and repeated and repeated and repeated.

Because that article was posted 4 hours before I place the link here. Because its a forum and people can post what they want within the forum rules, because I wanted to. Thats why, so stfu.

F.Y.I. for others, I utilized the Voom Realtime chat support and asked about when our screens would go dark. I got the typical cut and paste reply as follows.

Customer: Any REAL word on if Echostar will supply content to the current subs or are we just going to have dark screens soon?

James_T: VOOM is operating normally and is continuing with plans to expand its programming lineup and enhance your service. Look for announcements as soon as next month and throughout 2005. Meanwhile we are pleased to provide up to three times the number of high definition channels compared to other satellite companies or cable, plus the full array of standard definition channels you expect.

Don1957 said:
I check the web link that was posted and found that it seem that echostar and rainbow are sharing the same sat. Because you will see that Transponder are not the same when you check both companies. Dish has the following on 61.5

T2, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 31, 32

Rainbow has the following

T1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21, 23, 24

I don't know why they would not have any of the others Transponders on the other services. I use to have dish service. I still have both dishes mounted, one at 61.5 and other at 110. When I read year or so ago. That dish was leasing from 61.5. But I could be wrong about this. I read this over at AVS forum. The company that had it was something like amersat. But I think Echostar brought it last year or something. I can't remember for sure how it went thou.

Thats because since both birds are in the same orbital slot, if both birds used the same transponder frequencies, the und user------US......would not be able to see either transmission because of interference

Sean Mota said:
If they are not shutting down, what are the alternatives (if any). Will there be decrease in programming? What are the plans (one way or another)?
I think I've figured out what the "alternative" is. E* will lease Rainbow-1 to V*. :eek: :shocked :D

Walter L. said:
I think I've figured out what the "alternative" is. E* will lease Rainbow-1 to V*. :eek: :shocked :D

Nope! that does not sound very smart to do. I suspect that there will be another rumbling very soon. There's something going on.

The fact that Voom is selling off its assets does not surprise me. What does surprise me though is that E* is evidentally not acquiring the mystery whole-house dvr. Since your already spending 200 million why not through in another 5 for the rights to the dvr technology. That is unless you already have one of your own in development... probably not but I hope the whole-house dvr concept does not die with Voom.

SactoCal said:
Because that article was posted 4 hours before I place the link here. Because its a forum and people can post what they want within the forum rules, because I wanted to. Thats why, so stfu.

F.Y.I. for others, I utilized the Voom Realtime chat support and asked about when our screens would go dark. I got the typical cut and paste reply as follows.

Customer: Any REAL word on if Echostar will supply content to the current subs or are we just going to have dark screens soon?

James_T: VOOM is operating normally and is continuing with plans to expand its programming lineup and enhance your service. Look for announcements as soon as next month and throughout 2005. Meanwhile we are pleased to provide up to three times the number of high definition channels compared to other satellite companies or cable, plus the full array of standard definition channels you expect.
what a crock

This whole thing has been happening rather fast for such large organizations. We went from the infamous memo which insinuated that the Dolans may purchase voom to echostar purchasing it in no time flat. Must be a lot going on behind the scenes. They should be broadcasting this in HD... can't wait to find out what happens next.

Calvin&Hobbes said:
This whole thing has been happening rather fast for such large organizations. We went from the infamous memo which insinuated that the Dolans may purchase voom to echostar purchasing it in no time flat.
I agree. The next thing will be that we start seeing reports of "Snow PIG" on HDNet or inHD and we realize that the programming was sold.

YourNameHere said:
The fact that Voom is selling off its assets does not surprise me. What does surprise me though is that E* is evidentally not acquiring the mystery whole-house dvr. Since your already spending 200 million why not through in another 5 for the rights to the dvr technology. That is unless you already have one of your own in development... probably not but I hope the whole-house dvr concept does not die with Voom.

Motorola is the key to the whole house DVR. With the recent purchase of Ucentric, they control both the hardware and software aspect.

Whole house DVR is not dead by any stretch. Voom may still try to release it, they may sell what development that already have done, they may just let it die. But somone else will eventually step up and have Motorola port one to their system. Voom was not doing this "in-house" as many seem to think.

Now is the time to step up to the plate and order everything Voom has to offer. The more revenue the easier this will be to sell to investors. I am personally upgrading my subscription to VaVaVoom in a minute to do my part. I can't order Play Boy because my wife would have my you know what's in a vice!

TheStreet.com

Cablevision Unloads Voom

By George Mannes
Senior Writer

Cablevision's (CVC:NYSE - news - research) aspirations of satellite TV grandeur are officially over. And analysts are pretty happy about it.

It also represents, according to analysts, a nice, cost-effective way for EchoStar to speed up the rollout of local high-definition programming -- a key product offering for the Dish Network operator as it competes with DirecTV and cable operators from Comcast (CMCSA:Nasdaq - news - research) on down.

Analysts, who had expected if not downright rooted for Voom's demise, were generally pleased by the news. In a report entitled "Ding! Dong! The Voom! is Dead," Friedman Billings Ramsey analyst Alan Bezoza reiterated his outperform rating on Cablevision's stock, on which he has a $28 price target. Estimating a gradual shutdown of Voom, Bezoza estimates that the service will drain $100 million of Cablevision's operating cash flow in 2005. But a speedier shutdown, writes Bezoza, could limit that drain and push Cablevision to the upside of his current estimates.

Fulcrum Global Partners analyst Richard Greenfield, for example, who noted that Cablevision had invested "upward of $500 million" in Voom, raised his price target on the stock from $27.50 to $33. Greenfield has a buy rating on the stock.

Moffett was one of several analysts to note how the deal not only cuts Cablevision's losses but significantly improves EchoStar's competitive position against DirecTV as they race to increase their high definition TV programming offerings.

Indy said:
Now is the time to step up to the plate and order everything Voom has to offer. The more revenue the easier this will be to sell to investors. I am personally upgrading my subscription to VaVaVoom in a minute to do my part. I can't order Play Boy because my wife would have my you know what's in a vice!

Sell what to the investors?
They filed with the SEC already on the intent to sell the assets, its done.

a nice, cost-effective way for EchoStar to speed up the rollout of local high-definition programming

Do they know were it is located (61.5) and that it will require a 2 Dish Solution. This is something which Dish, themselves, are trying to get away from. :confused:

EchoStar's competitive position against DirecTV as they race to increase their high definition TV programming offerings.

What a laugh? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts