The format war cost home entertainment in 2007

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama

Attachments

• 2007YearEndOverall-Small.jpg
    2007YearEndOverall-Small.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 303
2% (HD) of the market can affect the other 98% with enough impact to matter? There just looking to blame something.

Warner at least claims to believe so. They felt that people were holding off on buy DVD's for their HDTV's, but undecided on whether to go Blu-ray or HD-DVD.

I stoppped buying DVDs 2 years ago once I heard about the HD-DVD/BD coming to market. I got an HD-DVD player (A1) on preorder and arrived when they first shipped. Got a PS3 later. All the movie purchases are HD now.

I call BS on this one. No way did the format war impact DVD sales. People weren't sure whether or not to spend $500 on a Blu-Ray player, so they stopped buying $15 SD DVD discs? No, people looked at the pile of dozens of discs they bought and thought of all the movies they watched maybe twice then thought, "Why not rent?" Warner blamed the format war. Then, they blamed the economy. I thought movies did better in recession years. :confused: I hope they don't blame the writer's strike next.

The prostitution of the studios has no limits:
tomorrow they will claim all those reduced profits are due to pirates...

Hackers, torrent, internet, writer's strike, war in Iraq, etc. - you name it.
Now it's the format war, too. Everybody but them is at fault.

Pathetic.

Diogen.

Pathetic.

Diogen.

YES, something I agree with 100%. The studios are pathetic. And lets add in the RMIA while we are at it.

Pathetic.

Diogen.

When you accept a $500 million bribe for making an obviously bad decision,
you have to make up some Bull Sh@t in order to make it sound justifiable.

The Motion Picture Ass. of America (MPAA) admitted that they screwed up the student piracy study... by a factor of three:
MPAA admits mistake on downloading study | Newsweek Entertainment | Newsweek.com
And it was just a human error...:D

Somebody had to pick up the difference - this is why the format war is blamed now.

Even Ars weighs in
Oops: MPAA admits college piracy numbers grossly inflated
Yes, college students need to rein in the file-sharing. We get it. Artists need to eat. But while the MPAA has been busy lecturing universities about the way they run their IT operations, perhaps the universities have something to say to the motion picture business about how it buys and releases its research.

Diogen.

PS2 outselling the PS3 by approx. 2:1. Hmmm, must be that $149.00 price point.:D
PS3 is dead last.

If the PS3 does come down to $299 as rumored, I think the PS2's days are numbered.... if you add up the PS2 and PS3 sales numbers, things look better for Sony, so I think it's time to kill the PS2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)