The founder of Aereo is promising to bring gigabit internet to every home

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
The founder of Aereo is promising to bring gigabit internet to every home

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/27/1...s-gigabit-internet-project-from-aereo-founder

At a launch event in New York City today, Chaitanya "Chet" Kanojia, the founder of the now-deceased startup Aereo, launched an ambitious new wireless hub called Starry. Starry is supposed to offer gigabit internet to the home, but delivered over a wireless network rather than a traditional wired one. The technology was built by the same antenna experts who made Aereo, and may run into its own regulatory troubles as it attempts to leverage unlicensed bands of spectrum.

Like Aereo, Starry is a questionably ambitious idea. Kanojia wants to deliver extremely high-speed internet over the air using millimeter waves, which don't travel very far and aren't very good at penetrating obstacles — not even water in the air. That means Starry will have a lot of technical hurdles to overcome. The company is presenting a sleek wireless hub at its event today, but it seems possibly that more hardware — perhaps something outside the home — will be needed to fully connect to Starry's gigabit wireless network. It also means that Starry will need to set up broadcast points in very close proximity to its customers or use some sort of mesh technology to improve its reach. Doing that would likely make it harder for Starry to reach its goal of gigabit speeds. So, to be very clear, there's a lot to be skeptical about here.

Starry hasn't provided details on how it'll get around the many technical limitations in its way. "What are millimeter waves you ask? It’s a little bit like witchcraft," Kanojia says. The company keeps repeating a dense list of technologies — OFDM modulation, MU-MIMO, active phased array — which apparently add up to a solution. Kanojia acknowledges that no one has attempted internet delivery over millimeter waves before because it's difficult to get a connection from outside to inside of a house. But Starry has supposedly figured out a way to "steer" the signal using a bank of tiny antennas that increase the connection's power and accuracy. "People historically assumed fiber was the answer at all times," Kanojia says. Starry's approach, he claims, is "the most meaningful, scalable architecture anyone has proposed to this point."

Kanojia says that he wanted to launch Starry to give consumers an option about how they get internet. Most people are stuck with only one choice of internet provider — two if they're lucky — and it's difficult for new competitors to enter the space. Laying wires is expensive, as is launching a more traditional wireless network, so Kanojia is once again in charge of a company taking an unconventional approach in an attempt to quickly enter and disrupt an established market.

Starry will launch its service first in Boston, with its hub selling for $349.99. It hasn't said yet how much it'll cost to get internet service delivered to that hub, but it has said that there will be no contracts or data caps. Purchase reservations will start on February 5th, with deliveries beginning in March. Starry plans to launch in additional cities throughout the year.

Developing...

Hmm be interesting to see how well it does but like the idea of not contracts and not data caps.. :)

They are launching it in Boston. I would have liked to have seen it deployed in a rural area as well. The promo for Starry Internet says the service is for "everyone" - "everywhere" - "across the planet". I would love to see this come to fruition but I'm afraid it will end up just serving larger cities while leaving rural areas behind, just as current technologies do. We shall see.... :rolleyes:

I would love to see something like this come out and be a part of it. I always thought LEO satellite offerings that companies are wanting to launch would be the wave of the future.

$350 upfront for the device is pretty steep compared to either DSL or cable as your typical decent cable modem (such as an Arris 6183 ) is around $100 and a decent DSL modem (technically a network bridge really) is usually around $70. I will grant you that I'd be willing to pay more for higher speeds and no data caps, but only so much. Currently I get about 150 - 160 Mbps from Comcast and they are not enforcing caps in my area (likely due to Google announcing they plan on bringing service to the area and Centurylink making gigabit available in some areas, just not mine). I'm curious as to what there solution will be in dealing with atmospheric issues and even simple things like trees & other vegetation that can be encountered in the city.

We are getting a whopping 2.9 Mbps here with Verizon DSL so paying $350 for equipment to get decent speeds that are fairly priced would not be a problem if Starry can make the technology work in rural areas like ours. :)

The cost of the equipment is one thing, knowing the company will be there long enough to get my money's worth is another.....

Reactions: Stargazer
I'd gladly pay $300 for equipment if service was priced close to what i pay now for my 20M/800K DSL that is my only option...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)