The Great Closed Captioning Mystery

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lostintv

Original poster
Feb 12, 2007
I have the strangest issue with my No. 2 TV, which has the DirecTV Mini Genie box. Every time I turn on the TV, the closed captioning is on. This is true even though, in the settings, closed captioning is turned off.

After some trial and error, I found I can solve the problem by going into Settings, turning closed captioning on, then turning it off. Still, I have to do that every time. That's 15 extra button pushes -- yes, I've counted them -- each time the TV is turned on.

This is not a problem with my other TV, which is connected to the main DirecTV receiver.

I tried unplugging and restarting the Mini Genie. Nothing changed. I tried rebooting the main receiver. Again, no change.

I'm out of ideas. Can someone help?

switch that mini with another rooms mini and if it occurs in the other room, it's the mini with the problem. call directv and they'll either ship you a new one or send a tech to do so. if the problem keeps occurring on that tv, then it's the tv and go to the tv settings and ensure cc is turned off on tv.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Try this......once you have turned on the tv, hit "info", you should see a bar across the top, move to highlight "CC", there will be a drop down and if Closed Caption is highlighted, move the highlight down to off. Not sure if that's your problem or not, just another suggestion.

A belated THANK YOU to Nvsundevil. You solved it! To be exact, it wasn't the closed captioning that was turned on but the "DirecTV Subtitles," which I had never heard of before. I turned that off and no more problem. A platoon of reps from DirecTV couldn't solve this, but once Nvsundevil pointed me in the right direction it only took a few clicks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.