Status
Please reply by conversation.

ocnier

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 28, 2004
Grapevine, TX
Well I just got my new Dell 2405fpw computer monitor (it was a great deal since it was 25% off). It's awesome with regards to computer applications (I used the advice from this months maximumpc magazine). The monitor also has component in addition to many other inputs which make it great as well. I decided to hook up my D* samsung hd reciever to it with the component inputs. The picture is good for HD but the movement issue with pixelation sometimes seen with LCD tv's was slightly more noticeable than I would have liked with the component conection. I decided to hook up the monitor through the DVI input in order to try to reduce this problem and then I realized/remembered the d*mn HDCP chip issue because the barrier came down like a steel curtain. I hate to complain about this but this really chapped my ass. I am not trying steal or publish HD to the internet but I am stuck like chuck now. My question now does anybody know how to defeat that damn chip or know of a workaround with regards to DVI. I am not trying to steal or be illegal! I just want to watch my D* HD on my monitor or least see it for comparison.

Why? I haven't said or asked anything wrong. I just want to DISPLAY a signal on my monitor, not store, steal, or anything else nefarious for that matter.

No need to be defensive then, I was not saying you were, it's just I don't think bypassing copy protection (regardless of intent, and it is the act of bypassing that is illegal, intent doen't make any difference) would be something the forum admins would allow based on what I have seen happen to other threads like this.

I did do a quick search and some mention updating the firmware (legal) in these devices is the fix (not sure if it applies to you). here: http://www.digitalconnection.com/FAQ/HDTV_12.asp

damaged said:
No need to be defensive then, I was not saying you were, it's just I don't think bypassing copy protection (regardless of intent) would be something the forum admins would allow based on what I have seen happen to other threads like this.

I did do a quick search and some mention updating the firmware (legal) in these devices is the fix (not sure if it applies to you). here: http://www.digitalconnection.com/FAQ/HDTV_12.asp

Fair enough, i'm just irked and frustrated. I feel like I just bought a brand new porshe, but the damn thing has speed govenor on it. Aside from this one tech issue, the monitor is just about perfect (heck i've already been playing the dog snot out of half life 2 and battlefield 2 on it). Oh well guess i'll have settle for component land (Would have been nice the other way though).

I would be frustrated too. I don't blame you one bit. You can thank the MPAA and RIAA for vilifying its customers, things like this only keep honest people honest, it does nothing to the element it was designed to protect against, this is just a way for them to justify increases in price for their services and media and them not simply seeing it is the quality of the music and movies that are the reasons behind their loss of income not from someone watching a dvd on thier Dell digital monitor.

It also sucks b/c quite frankly the line between entertainment monitor and computer monitor is steadily blurring in my opinion (soon to be nonexistent IMO).

ocnier said:
It also sucks b/c quite frankly the line between entertainment monitor and computer monitor is steadily blurring in my opinion (soon to be nonexistent IMO).

Yes, good point, it will be interesting to see how things like this unfold as that line disappears.

The really crummy part is that this conversation could be entirely moot, the picture could be no better at all through the dvi port (which I doubt) but I have no way to test the damn thing.

The TS-160 also had a HD-15 out (VGA) and VGA to DVI converters are plentiful. Try using that output rather than dvi if your dell will accept an analog signal.

ocnier said:

You're exactly right, and it's exactly why I wouldn't touch this post as an admin.

I'm jealous because 2 of my friends just got the same LCD, and it's really gorgeous as a monitor. I've had similar thoughts of using it as a TV too.

I would try setting it with AVIA (or similar) before I started pulling my hair out with motion artifacts...

hancox said:
You're exactly right, and it's exactly why I wouldn't touch this post as an admin.

I'm jealous because 2 of my friends just got the same LCD, and it's really gorgeous as a monitor. I've had similar thoughts of using it as a TV too.

I would try setting it with AVIA (or similar) before I started pulling my hair out with motion artifacts...

I'll give it a try.

projectorsrule said:
The TS-160 also had a HD-15 out (VGA) and VGA to DVI converters are plentiful. Try using that output rather than dvi if your dell will accept an analog signal.

My 1st HDTV (also an LCD) had a DVI connection that was not HDCP, so I could not use my TS160s DVI port, frustrating for sure. I was however able to use the HD-15 out as mentioned above, but my HDTV also had an HD-15 input, I never tried the VGA - DVI converter but I don't see why that would not work. Needless to say I had some problems with that HDTV and had to exchange for a different model which thankfully has been a great HDTV for me.

CWS_kahuna said:
My 1st HDTV (also an LCD) had a DVI connection that was not HDCP, so I could not use my TS160s DVI port, frustrating for sure. I was however able to use the HD-15 out as mentioned above, but my HDTV also had an HD-15 input, I never tried the VGA - DVI converter but I don't see why that would not work. Needless to say I had some problems with that HDTV and had to exchange for a different model which thankfully has been a great HDTV for me.

So which model did you go with and how is it as a computer monitor? The goal here is to find the best way to wear 2 hats at the same time as far as purspose is concerned.

A final note, I went and bought the ATI HDTV wonder add on card and it does make a definite difference with the DVI port. In a way it just irks me more b/c I see the the true potential of the monitor, but b/c of MPAA paranoia it may never be realized.

ocnier said:
So which model did you go with and how is it as a computer monitor? The goal here is to find the best way to wear 2 hats at the same time as far as purspose is concerned.

Well I ended up with a JVC 34" HDTV, this is not a LCD style TV, it's the old tube style. I really like the TV a lot though. I had some space requirement issues to deal with and this TV actually ended up just being perfect for what I was looking for. I have not tried this TV with a PC.

The LCD TV I had was a 36" Viewsonic HDTV. To keep a long story short, I had a lot of problems with two of these sets within 6-7 months, so they upgraded me to the JVC (I say upgrade because the set cost more at the time).I thought this set did decent as a PC monitor, this was probably a 1st gen LCD set so I am sure the new ones are even better.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)