The ice storm cometh

Status
Please reply by conversation.

waylew

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
northern WEST new york
Well the power is still on,don't know how.Knocked a bunch of ice out of the Paraclipse,back on the beam,but probably not for long.The Winegard is still getting tunes from X4,barely.Even the DISH is still working.
Been 3 calls on the scanner for wires down in the last 5 minutes,close by.
I may be back later or probably not. :D

Yep=our end of it is crossing the Mississippi right about now, look out Memphis! We are supposed to get it between 3-6am C. I might up very early in case it turns tornadic here.

Already hit here. Half inch of ice and another 2 inches of rain. My 30ft tall willow and 40ft tall oak trees are now only about 20ft. Limbs down all over yard, fortunately the temps were in mid 60's last week and ground temp is still around 40 so it didn't stick to roads, just trees and free standing stuff. It will all freeze tonight so the streets will be slick soon, temps are down to 30 now with wind chills in the mid teens.

The "light" version expected here in West Central Michigan. Mixed freezing rain and snow, and a winter weather advisory now tops off 48 hours of frozen roads and an ice covering on our snow. (Radio) station has enough LP if power goes out to run generator and stay warm and "on air" but in our area, the risk for a driver hitting a pole (or multiples of this) is bigger than getting a heavier storm.

Stay safe, everyone in your travels....and in whatever Mother Nature sends your way!

Been raining all day here. Expecting freezing rain tonight and till about noon tomorrow.
Could be a green xmas if this continues!

The rain's finally ended here. Thanks to a.clogged culvert, my front yard resembles a swimming pool.

ForumRunner_20131221_191552.png

Rain here now, expected to turn to ice tonight. Hopefully this won't be like the Ice Storm of '98, If I remember correctly, we were without power for 2 weeks. Quite strange to hear trees snapping 9 days straight from the weight of the ice.

11:00 pm,lites still on,signals still coming in from space,I'm rather amazed.Power's kicked off a couple times but the recloser had it back in 15 to 30 seconds.Pretty much sleet right now but the freezing rain is supposed to come back tomorrow.Some pics from earlier;100_0491.JPG100_0490.JPG100_0492.JPG

BEST OF LUCK. Had freezing rain and snow BAD once myself. Bud was encased in 6 inches of ice. Not fun getting the car out, the BUD unstuck, or even the front door open.

Freezing rain continues. Radio station on generator at full power.
Outages "everywhere" according to local public safety officials.
Went "off grid" about 2 hours ago, grid tried to return un-successfully, lights flashed
so much we had to pull the mains coming IN to keep the generator ON and
"clean" power flowing. All neighbors on generator right now.
Happily (at least for now)...cable internet still running, until power fails along that
line somewhere. (fingers crossed it will stay "up")

Sure happy very little of the ice made it to my house. Just a little skim coat on the PU outside.

Around here nearly 1 ft of snow will all be gone after 3+ warm days and nights! no white xmass here this year. Bummer!!

Well, you can have every inch of that white crap I have here. Just come and get it! Since early this morning another 4 inches has dumped on the yard. Picture is from a few days ago. Does not have todays dump yet. Looks much better in SUMMER!

Attachments

• Snow1.jpg
    Snow1.jpg
    843.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Summer Yard.jpg
    Summer Yard.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 76
Last edited:
1/2 to 3/4 inch of ice on everything here. Hopefully the wind doesn't pick up and snap anymore limbs as it isn't supposed to be above freezing until Tuesday afternoon.

2013-12-21 14.38.54.jpg

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)