The iPad app, 222 and Slingbox Pro

Chimera

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
ok, so a little background :) I was given a Slingbox Pro by a friend who upgraded to a 922. I have it connected to my 222 on tuner 1 which was dedicated to my HTPC but is now just for the Slingbox. It works great using the SlingPlayer software and the $30 Sling iPhone app, but the quality is terrible on the iPad (2X). The new Sling iPad app doesn't work with the older Slingboxes and costs another $30! Not good.

Anyway, I also have a 722 that I can connect to using DishOnline or the Dish iApps to manage remote recordings etc. In the web interface at "beta.dishonline.com" there is a link for connecting a Slingbox to your receivers, but I've never been able to get it to work. However this week I discovered another link through the "dish.sling.com" site (it's under preferences, receivers) and was able to tell it that I have a Slingbox connected to my 722, even though it's really connected to my 222. Once I did that, I was able to use the new iPad app, bring up the "remote" for my 722 and click the "Watch on iPad" button, and low and behold - my 222-connected Slingbox screen came up. Now, some of the app's functions control my 722, but most of them (number pad, guide, menu etc) control the 222 so it's perfectly useable and it's FAR better quality than the iPhone app doubled AND it actually works with the older Slingboxes unlike the $30 Sling iPad app.

Now all of this may seem like a lot of work, but for me all I wanted to be able to do is watch live TV on my iPad in my kitchen without spending a dime on a new Slingbox or Sling Adapter....and now I can.

Don't know if this will help anyone else, but figured it was worth the write-up :)

Grahame

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)