The iPhone 5 Rumor Thread (2012 edition)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
I also agree that the fall is most likely the timeframe for the upgrade but I would be happy if it came earlier.

It is being driven by the availability of the new LTE chips which aren't supposed to be ready until second quarter. Third quarter seems like a solid bet. So far I've skipped the upgrade from 4 to 4S. I will jump on 5.

Assuming the 5 is 4G then I will upgrade. I don't see a reason to upgrade from the 4 to the 4s at this point.

Looks like I will be waiting another year before I upgrade. As long as my 3GS is still ticking, there is no reason why I cannot wait until the 5 comes out.

I like the rumor of the metallic backing, and the rubberized sides. Of course, the rubberized sides will force all the accessory companies to have to go back to the drawing boards for cases.

Assuming the 5 is 4G then I will upgrade. I don't see a reason to upgrade from the 4 to the 4s at this point.

I am still not sold on the need for 4G. My iPhone gets between 5 - 7 mb download speeds and I have found nothing that I can not accomplish due to the speeds.

I am still not sold on the need for 4G. My iPhone gets between 5 - 7 mb download speeds and I have found nothing that I can not accomplish due to the speeds.

and we have a winner!
When my wife and son's upgrades come available in June, I suspect we'll be getting 2 more iPhone 4S. NO NEED for 4G. And no need to be forced out of my really nice contract of unlimited data on three lines.

But remember, this is our iPhone 5 rumor thread. Part Deux. :D

I will have to also add that I sure hope that they do not compromise battery life to get 4G put into the iPhone. I would much rather have the iPhone 5 with a good battery than a 4G phone that will only last 8 hours of use.

I will have to also add that I sure hope that they do not compromise battery life to get 4G put into the iPhone. I would much rather have the iPhone 5 with a good battery than a 4G phone that will only last 8 hours of use.

That is part of the reason they are waiting for the new chips from Qualcomm, see Here

Can't you simply turn off 4G?

I didn't realize that. On my 3GS I have the option to turn off each antenna separately. Using SBSettings makes it very easy to do so. View attachment 72565

Attachments

• SBSettings.PNG
    SBSettings.PNG
    45.6 KB · Views: 183
I didn't realize that. On my 3GS I have the option to turn off each antenna separately. Using SBSettings makes it very easy to do so.

View attachment 72565

I changed my post but on the 4S they removed the ability to disable 3G. They still have that option on the 4 and below. I also would never have the SBSettings as I can not jail brake my iPhone.

So hear is hoping that the iPhone 5 will also give the ability to disable 4G preeminently if the battery drain is not acceptable.

Just a small quibble: Can we call it the iPhone 6? It will be the sixth incarnation after all. There's no reason to think that apple with call the next one the 5 other than everyone previously thinking the 4S would be called the 5 because it would be the fifth model.

Just a small quibble: Can we call it the iPhone 6? It will be the sixth incarnation after all. There's no reason to think that apple with call the next one the 5 other than everyone previously thinking the 4S would be called the 5 because it would be the fifth model.

Somehow I doubt that they will skip the designation 5 altogether. After all there wasa 3GS but it was followed by 4.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)