The Latest in Computer News

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I actually have both a Samsung curved TV and curved monitor. While neither is life changing by any stretch, I like both, especially the curve on the large computer monitor.

If you can't dazzle them with performance, appeal to their sense of fashion. Microsoft still hasn't managed to figure out what makes Apple tick.

Microsoft does not need to know what makes Apple Tick they can afford to try doing their own thing Apple is just that and they always will be nothing new with them never will be.

Microsoft does not need to know what makes Apple Tick they can afford to try doing their own thing Apple is just that and they always will be nothing new with them never will be.
Clearly Apple is what Microsoft is aiming at with the Surface notebook. I'm betting that they think they're going to cut a fat hog by offering a reasonably sized display and industry-standard serial ports that Apple seems violently opposed to doing.

Their prices are even comparable to Apple's which is something we never thought we would hear about a mainstream Windows-based computer.

Clearly Apple is what Microsoft is aiming at with the Surface notebook. I'm betting that they think they're going to cut a fat hog by offering a reasonably sized display and industry-standard serial ports that Apple seems violently opposed to doing.

Their prices are even comparable to Apple's which is something we never thought we would hear about a mainstream Windows-based computer.

We will see Microsoft has really good hardware and manufactures will jump to pricing is not to bad when you get more bang for your buck.Apple is the odd ball they always been always will until they have a major management overhaul which will probably never happen. Which is fine that's why their Apple.. But yeah it could do well for could not so it's a little bit of a gamble on their part for sure. :)

Yeah, Microsoft really hit it out of the ballpark with their portable music player... Wait, that was Apple; the Microsoft one bombed.

But the Microsoft phone really kicked off the smartphone revolution... no, that was Apple, too.. the Microsoft phone bombed.

Oh, Microsoft figured out what it would take to get tablets adopted by the general public... Damn, that was Apple, too.

Ah, but Microsoft has really made it easier to watch stuff on TV... Dammit! Apple again...

Microsoft is the leader in connecting devices via their software so they work seamlessly together... Crap, Apple again.

Well, Microsoft is more innovative... WTF??!!

Reactions: navychop
We will see Microsoft has really good hardware and manufactures will jump to pricing is not to bad when you get more bang for your buck.
But yeah it could do well for could not so it's a little bit of a gamble on their part for sure. :)
Ah, but Apple has pretty great hardware too and they're not saddled with having to run Windows 10 (Microsoft has gone on record as not supporting Intel gen 7 processors in earlier versions of Windows).

As for the "bang for the buck" argument, I'm not convinced that holds any water given the resource-hungry nature of Windows 10. It can sap the strength of any relatively powerful processor or high-speed storage system.

Since it came as a surprise to me, I note that the Surface Laptop runs Windows 10S (that only runs Windows Store applications). Turns out they're targeting the Chromebook market with the Surface Laptop. Nothing like trying to sell a $1,000 entry into a $200-$450 marketplace.

So in the end, the Surface Laptop doesn't even run Windows 10 desktop applications.

At WWDC today, Apple formally announced that they're going to use ARM chips in the Mac line in the future. At the very least, I would expect "interesting times" running off-the-rack Windows software going forward.

It was one thing to go from the PowerPC to X86 as users would fairly readily gain access to a lot of the hardware and software (drivers) developed for Windows but now Apple is going the other way. While the ARM processors are hot stuff for phones, they're perhaps not up to the raw performance of mid-line Intel CPUs (remembering that X86 is CISC and ARM is RISC).

A possible advantage is that Apple can subcontract their chip production to multiple chip manufacturers. A disadvantage is that running Mac native softweare under Rosetta is likely to suck from a performance perspective. I submit that Apple is handing developers an opportunity to cut their losses and give up on Mac Development much as the PowerPC to Intel transition took its toll. I reason that this transition will be much more damaging as those who develop for ARM probably aren't interested in taking up general computer programming (as opposed to developing for PowerPC versus Intel in an Intel dominated environment).

Reactions: TheKrell
What I took away from the macOS 11 on Apple Silicon is all of the Macintosh OS will be native, along with all of the included Apps. Rosetta 2 will be needed for those Intel apps that are not recompiled for Silicon, much like those old PPC apps on the early Intel Macs. Two years seems awfully ambitious to replace the entire consumer-level Macintosh line up.

One detail I want to hear about is how Apple is going to support Thunderbolt on the Apple Silicon processor. I’m guessing it will be part of the next generation T2 chip.

What I took away from the macOS 11 on Apple Silicon is all of the Macintosh OS will be native, along with all of the included Apps. Rosetta 2 will be needed for those Intel apps that are not recompiled for Silicon, much like those old PPC apps on the early Intel Macs. Two years seems awfully ambitious to replace the entire consumer-level Macintosh line up.
I think Apple figures that all but the i7 and up machines are done in a couple years (regardless of how long the hardware lasts). I can't imagine how they think they're going to regain the workstation market (as lilliputian as it is) with a likely jump backwards in performance (unless they figure out a three dozen plus core ARM CPU). The people that get screwed are the ones that bought an i5 or less Mac in the last couple years. Their only hope is that the ARM transition fails miserably to capture the imaginations (and grand and a half) of the Mac user base or takes a rather long time.

I'm absolutely not convinced that the included Apple software is going to cut it without some fairly fundamental third-party software (something they may no longer be able to rely on the old Windows emulation fallback). They can say that you can get tax and finance software and other applications that they don't give away on the Web, but you can also get software similar to what comes with a Mac on the Web too and you can run it on a $300 Chromebook that is light and runs for days. I'm sure that Apple will point out that many of the areas not covered by what Apple offers are covered by iPad apps but that's not the point of buying a computer and those apps will surely need some work to take full advantage of what a computer brings to the table. I'll also be interested in seeing if anyone is willing to step up and do a Linux distro for the Apple ARM platform.

From a programming perspective, there will hopefully be a whole lot of x86 baggage left behind. Swift should be mostly there based on existing ARM hardware but it remains to be seen what it takes to get the real computerly stuff done (those tasks that iPhone and iPad users rely on computers to handle like big storage and printing).
One detail I want to hear about is how Apple is going to support Thunderbolt on the Apple Silicon processor. I’m guessing it will be part of the next generation T2 chip.
It doesn't have to be on the die. Fat connections to ARM CPUs already exist. If you're wondering about whether or not Intel will license it, I'm betting will do just about anything to get back any of the billions in annual licensing that they'll no longer get from Intel CPUs. They won't give Apple the chance of smacking them with a lawsuit over a widely recognized Apple anti-competitive move

I'm hoping that Apple has something in mind as one super-duper Thunderbolt port is about three short of what a self-respecting computer should have. USB breakout boxes are an admission of omission.

In the back of my mind I remember this Computer Company based in Massachusetts that made their own CPU chips, the Operating System, and the software that ran on this system. This architecture was available from a personal desktop all the way up to systems that would fill a Data Center. 45 years later, Apple is unlikely to follow Digital Equipment Corporation into obscurity but I hope they can turn it into the positive that the potential vertical integration provides.

I’d like to see what beast of a chip can be achieved when the power and thermal limits of a mobile phone are replaced with desktop enclosure.

Of course, I wonder if Apple entertained the idea of placing AMD processors into the Mac? They already use their GPUs; it would seem a natural fit. And a ThreadRipper in a Mac Pro would make some Video Professionals pretty happy.

Reactions: TheKrell
In the back of my mind I remember this Computer Company based in Massachusetts that made their own CPU chips, the Operating System, and the software that ran on this system. This architecture was available from a personal desktop all the way up to systems that would fill a Data Center.
Apple is really nothing like DEC outside of both them flailing away at trying to market Macintosh computers back in the '90s. Apple doesn't manufacture much of anything (outside of assembling a relatively few five figure workstations). Apple does the OS part of their products that include apps that surely slam the door on a broad choice of third party apps.
Of course, I wonder if Apple entertained the idea of placing AMD processors into the Mac? They already use their GPUs; it would seem a natural fit. And a ThreadRipper in a Mac Pro would make some Video Professionals pretty happy.
They may have, but using AMD64 processors to run ARM code isn't an answer to the question of how they're going to do a workstation. AMD's Opteron A is a much closer fit, but it is a relatively wimpy chip for workstation use. AMD could certainly build processors for Apple so there's a good chance that there will be a deeper relationship. Apple has officially committed to going ARM across the board so they've locked themselves out of AMD64 options where the serious computerly CPU development will likely remain for years.

Apple has shot themselves in the foot through their offerings of Final Cut Pro in the video world and with the move away from x86, I suspect it will be very hard to be competitive in the Video or Graphic Design markets going forward. The lone exception may be Davinci Resolve as it leans very hard on the GPUs versus Premiere Pro and other packages that are more CPU bound.

I thought Thunderbolt was not long for this world.
Intel has not stated an intention to abandon Thunderbolt. They promised at CES to deliver Thunderbolt 4 this year with the Tiger Lake CPU. Intel is also allowing third parties to develop Thunderbolt glue chips for other applications.

The uphill battle is that Thunderbolt is relatively expensive. That doesn't scare off those who actually need its performance advantage but it doesn't have any place outside of those who really need to hook their giga-cached RAIDs to their desktop computers.

Reactions: navychop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts